NEED HELP! Destructive cat

wduprey33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Dobby, whom I love and adore, is about 8 months old. I rescued him from the humane society about 3 months ago. He's my first pet that's mine (as opposed to the family cats we had growing up) and I need some help!

Dobby breaks EVERYTHING. Most of it (bowls, decorations, knock knacks) are all out of reach unless he jumps up onto something he isn't supposed to be on (I.e. The counters).

I've been trying to solve this by trying to prevent him from getting up on the things he shouldn't (counters). Trouble is, I've tried everything I can think of!

I've tried: tinfoil (he loves that stuff), animal safe double sided tape (not phased), lemon peels, a spray bottle, one of those pointy mats that's supposed to be unpleasant for them to stand on, pepper, a fan. I'm out of ideas!

The trouble also is that he does this when I'm not around--when I'm at work or asleep or in my room with the door closed.

I thought it might be boredom so I've taken steps to prevent that--he has a ton of interactive puzzle toys, toys hat make him work for treats, a scratcher. I got a bird feeder and put it outside my balcony door so he can watch the birds from the couch. I turn the tv on when I'm gone. Nothing works!

He jumps up where he shouldn't be, knocks things over and they shatter--I'm worried he's going to hurt himself! Any help is appreciated!

Here's a pic of the little bugger:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This might sound silly, but maybe if you placed toys up on the surfaces he's jumping onto as well, maybe he would want the toys and knock them over instead? Perhaps give him catnip so he can wear himself out? I really don't know what else to even suggest.. If he won't quit, might as well put things that he's allowed to have there as well..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wduprey33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try that--thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much and how do you play with Dobby? He sounds bored to me.

Last edited:

jamiem104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwww he is adorable. Bella does that sometimes. She's 11 months, and it's gotten better than it was before. I have a centerpiece on the table right now of a fake pumpkin cut at the top with fake flowers in it, and when I come home, it's on the floor. She loves how it rolls and goes in circles. I really don't think they're bored, I play with Bella multiple times a day for at least 15 minutes each time, and in between we play hide and seek when I'm doing something around the house. I think we just have very curious kitties who think everything is a toy.

Last edited:

wduprey33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try to play with him as much as possible--he esp loves when we play with the ping pong balls I purchased him (throw one in a tub and he's happy for hours!). Also, being a product of my generation, we have a cat fame app we play on my iPad which he adores!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to play with him as much as possible--he esp loves when we play with the ping pong balls I purchased him (throw one in a tub and he's happy for hours!). Also, being a product of my generation, we have a cat fame app we play on my iPad which he adores!
Do you have any wand toys like da bird?  That way you can really get him moving and tire him out.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does sound like he's bored. He's in that "teenager" phase and, therefore, bursting with energy. Play with him as often as you can to tire him out! I played with Elfie at least twice a day around that age, and in my expierence, a tired kitty is a well-behaved kitty.

Might also want to try playing with him for about 20 minutes, then feeding him, and you'll watch him clean himself and go straight to sleep! Might sound like a lot to play with him every day, but most cats calm down around their first birthday so keep in mind that this rebellious phase might just be temporary.

wduprey33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any wand toys like da bird?  That way you can really get him moving and tire him out.
Hmmm, we do have a wand toy, but he's not super interested in it--immworking on teaching him tonfetch though!

wduprey33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does sound like he's bored. He's in that "teenager" phase and, therefore, bursting with energy. Play with him as often as you can to tire him out! I played with Elfie at least twice a day around that age, and in my expierence, a tired kitty is a well-behaved kitty.

Might also want to try playing with him for about 20 minutes, then feeding him, and you'll watch him clean himself and go straight to sleep! Might sound like a lot to play with him every day, but most cats calm down around their first birthday so keep in mind that this rebellious phase might just be temporary.

Interesting--I'll try that! I've been leaving his food out for him so he can free feed (mainly because I don't get home from work at a consistent time each day so I don't want to leave him waiting for dinner)--should I not be doing that?