Need Help! Cat Not Eating Wet Food.

NuaimKhairudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I recently rescued/adopted a neutered male doll faced persian(?) of around 2-4 years old(difficult to determine age, previous owner probably abandoned him due to not meeting breed standards or costs of taking care of him is getting steep, all we know is he was wandering and meowing in the gutter in front of our house).
PROBLEM:
He is not eating any wet food. We have tried everything. Multiple brands and types, multiple feeding bowls, topping it with dry food or liquid treats... He just turns away. At the moment he is just on dry food/kibbles and the occasional liquid treats.
What should we do? Continue with high protein(Orijen) dry food/kibble with the occasional liquid treats? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Please help. We would love for the kitty to stay healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NuaimKhairudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
There are several things you can sprinkle on top of his food to encourage him to eat it. Here are a few ideas:
  • FortiFlora — A probiotic you can get at vets or online. It’s very smelly and cats love the taste of it. It’s a mediocre probiotic but it can be very effective to get kitty to eat.
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Crushed crumbles of dry food — There are some higher protein/lower carb/grain free choices such as Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein)
  • Bonito flakes — Can be found at Asian markets or sometimes in the Asian food section of a large grocery store.
  • Freeze dried treats — Crumble into dust/small pieces over food. I use Pure Bites chicken treats and Northwest Naturals liver treats but there are other brands
  • Freeze dried raw food — Stella & Chewy’s and Primal are two brands that work well. Like the treats, you just crumble some over the wet food.
One of my three cats is a picky eater and I rotate among all of these except the dry food to get her to finish her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NuaimKhairudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are several things you can sprinkle on top of his food to encourage him to eat it. Here are a few ideas:
  • FortiFlora — A probiotic you can get at vets or online. It’s very smelly and cats love the taste of it. It’s a mediocre probiotic but it can be very effective to get kitty to eat.
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Crushed crumbles of dry food — There are some higher protein/lower carb/grain free choices such as Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein)
  • Bonito flakes — Can be found at Asian markets or sometimes in the Asian food section of a large grocery store.
  • Freeze dried treats — Crumble into dust/small pieces over food. I use Pure Bites chicken treats and Northwest Naturals liver treats but there are other brands
  • Freeze dried raw food — Stella & Chewy’s and Primal are two brands that work well. Like the treats, you just crumble some over the wet food.
One of my three cats is a picky eater and I rotate among all of these except the dry food to get her to finish her food.
Thank you for the tip! I will definitely try these out!