Need help! Cat is waking us up multiple times every night.

dpepper73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little background first: I have a cat named Libby and I've had her since August 2014. I don't know how old she is. I'd say she's anywhere from 5-8 years old. My brother and I were walking out of our front door one day right as she was crossing our front yard. She stopped dead in her tracks and began meowing. We happened to have some cat food so we fed her and she's been ours ever since.

That was August 2014. My brother and I moved out of that house and back in with our parents two months ago. The living arrangements are different, needless to say, and our parents' house is significantly bigger. I don't think that's the source of the problem though. Sure, it took her a few days to learn about her new environment but now she walks around the whole house with no problems.

Here's the problem: She awakens my brother and I every night, usually multiple times a night. She did this several times, almost every night, when my brother and I were still living in our house, before the move. So it's not a new thing. Whenever she would start meowing in the middle of the night, either my brother or I would have to get up and sit with her while she ate. We would also have to do this during the day. We may have spoiled her. But if we didn't sit by her when she wanted to eat, she would just keep meowing and not eat. I'm sure she would've eaten eventually, after she got hungry enough.

So now, not only are my bro and I living with our parents again, we're also having to share a room. So every night, Libby will fall asleep on the sofa before we go to bed. After both of us have been in bed for an hour or so, Libby will come into our room and wake us up with her incessant meowing. We try to ignore her and tell her to be quiet, but she just won't stop meowing and she will not eat. She sometimes starts meowing before she climbs the stairs to our room. When she does that she has to meow twice as loud for us to hear it, which increases the chances that my mom or dad might hear her.

It may not sound like a real problem because I don't know if I've done a good job of explaining the situation. I think Libby may be depressed. She's definitely overweight. All she does is eat and sleep. I realize cats do a lot of sleeping, but I've never known a cat to sleep so much. My brother or I take her outside once or twice a day and that's just about the only time she's active. However, when we're outside with her we have to watch her closely because if we don't, she'll make her way around to the front of the house and possibly end up in the street. I've already had one cat die from being hit by a car. I don't wanna let that happen again. We also keep an eye on her because the neighbors on both sides have cats and there's also a feral stray cat that comes around a lot. When my brother and I were living in the other house, we didn't have a litter box. We were comfortable letting Libby out unsupervised for an indefinite period of time and she would use the bathroom while she was out. We didn't have a litter box because when we decided to keep Libby as a pet, part of us were still mourning the loss of Billy, the cat who was hit by a car. So we told ourselves that we would just take things slow. We have one now though, but we keep it clean so I don't think that's the problem.

I feel like I've been all over the place while writing this post, but I wanted to provide all of the pertinent information regarding Libby's behavior. Basically, I'm hoping to find a remedy to this problem of being awakened at least once a night by my cat. My brother and I love Libby, but we're almost to the point of finding another home for her. We really don't want to do that but we can't keep on like this.

Thanks.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How about more focused play time with her?  Do you have any interactive toys, like a wand toy (DaBird for example)?  Try a long play session with her before bedtime to get her tired out.  How about training her to walk with a leash/harness so she can get more exercise outside and still be safe.  

Here's an article with some suggestions for interaction, which may help with her boredom and need for attention, and her weight:  
[article="22426"]Beating Boredom What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know  [/article]
Also, when is the last time she had a vet visit?  It's always a good idea to rule out medical problems first when there are behavioral problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dpepper73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! The only thing that she has ever played with is the red laser pointer, and after she plays with that she continues to look for it after I've put it up. It's almost like a neurosis or something. I will definitely try more personal time with her and I'll also check out the link you provided. Money is so tight right now, or I would take her to the vet. All very good ideas. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I've read that laser toys can be frustrating for cats because they can never really 'catch' their prey.  A wand toy might be a better option.  

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dpepper73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that laser toys can be frustrating for cats because they can never really 'catch' their prey.  A wand toy might be a better option.
Yeah, I stopped using the laser pointer because I didn't like the way she would keep looking for it after I put it up. She sure did like to chase after that red dot though. The cat we had before Libby loved to play with this fuzzy toy on the end of a piece of string that was attached to a wand. You could stick it on a window about 3 or 4 feet off the ground and he would go nuts after that thing. Of course he was only about a year old.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, I stopped using the laser pointer because I didn't like the way she would keep looking for it after I put it up. She sure did like to chase after that red dot though. The cat we had before Libby loved to play with this fuzzy toy on the end of a piece of string that was attached to a wand. You could stick it on a window about 3 or 4 feet off the ground and he would go nuts after that thing. Of course he was only about a year old.
We have three 7 year old cats and one 13 year old, and they ALL still love those fuzzy toy on a string things. :lol3:

Last edited: