Need Help ASAP! Scared and possibly wounded

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We sprayed our grass for dandelions a couple of days ago and we kept our cat in. But yesterday he snuck out.
We noticed some hair missing from above his left eye last night but he was sleepy so we thought it was ok. But now this morning, his tail is straight down and he won't move it or lift it. When we touch it he screams. He also tries to hide. He hid underneath our stairs where we couldn't get to him and he lied down like he was going to try to go to sleep. But now he is out again and he is looking scared. His ears keep bending down and everytime there is a noise he looks at the door. We started to think he got sick from the grass, but now we are thinking he got into a fight since there was a grey tom cat that roamed around here last night. The vet is closed right now but as soon as it opens we are taking him in.
Can anybody clarify whether this sounds like a fight or poisoning? What can we do to ease the pain? He just barely (if at all) purrs when we stoke him gently. Please, help as soon as possible. Thank you.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't help you with any decent advice except to say that getting the cat to the vet ASAP sounds like a good choice.

Let us know what the vet says.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really couldn't say for certain and you are doing the right thing by getting him to the vet ASAP but i have never heard of poison causing fur to fall out or a cat to get a very sore tail so maybe it was just a fight, keep a close eye on him, do you have any 24 hour or emergancy vets in your area?

love,

felicia

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get your cat to a vet now. He has been in a fight in all probability and cat bites are serious. The common places for bites to occur are the base of the tail, the neck and under the legs. You cat needs to be seen evaluated, and more than likely put on antibiotics. You do not want these wounds to abscess trust me, unless you are an expert at lancing abscesses and treating them successfully yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we pet him or even touch him near the neck he yells. I, unfortunately, could not be at the vet so I got someone to take him in. I will know more soon.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katman14

When we pet him or even touch him near the neck he yells. I, unfortunately, could not be at the vet so I got someone to take him in. I will know more soon.
Goodluck with the vet and i hope all goes well

felicia

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to all of you who have helped me and cared so much!
It makes it alot easier!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cat was in a fight a couple yrs ago and I didn't realize it until he was acting lethargic. I ended up lancing the abcess itself which is not a fun task. I hope everything is ok.

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he first got home he was looking for a place to hide. But I think the pain overwhelmed him and he just collapsed in a pile of clothes. The vet found two huge scratches on his backside, and a couple little ones here and there. He has to take pills at morning and night for a week and he probably won't perk up for a couple days. He has been sleeping all day and now he just sits there with his eyes half closed (I think he can't get to sleep). He just sits in a pile of clothes in the laundry room and doesn't move, even to eat or drink. He is drowsy and he will look at my feet and torso, but not my head. And when I lie next to him he moves his head, almost like he doesn't want to look at me.
But he just purred for the first time today when I stroked him, so that is a good sign. I think it will all be ok. He just needs his rest. Thank you for all of your support. I'll let you know if anything happens.
P.S. Just now, he got up and wandered over to me. I think he wants me to sit with him. It looks like things are going to get better.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just so you know cats purr when they are in pain, scared or when they are happy, so purring isn't a good gauge to go by. I would just make him a dark cavey like place to lie in- a cardboard box on it's side piled with soft bedding and draped with a dark towel and just let him sleep and regenerate himself. Thanks for taking him into the vet, your post alarmed me. I have been privy to many cat fights in my life and he was showing typical symptoms of a bad one. Please keep him inside from now on as well? it really is safer for him and cheaper for you too-

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a beautiful cat. Is he a Persian? It would be safer for him to stay inside.
When I take my cats to a vet (also Persians) vets allways tell me that if I let them out they would be stolen cause they are so pretty.

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a himalayan. And I didn't know that fact about purring. It's just that this morning when he was all shook up he wasn't purring at all. Anyways, he doesn't go outside all that much, and when he does he usually just sits on the deck. But he's been going outside since we got him and he really loves it. He usually begs to be let out. But I will not let him our, at least for the next month. We are thinking about getting a fence so maybe we could let him lay outside in the fenced area.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He is a himalayan. And I didn't know that fact about purring. It's just that this morning when he was all shook up he wasn't purring at all. Anyways, he doesn't go outside all that much, and when he does he usually just sits on the deck. But he's been going outside since we got him and he really loves it. He usually begs to be let out. But I will not let him our, at least for the next month. We are thinking about getting a fence so maybe we could let him lay outside in the fenced area.
Yea, I call my kitty a Persian. He is actually a cream point himi, though. Fence would be a good idea. They advertize special once for cats so they can't get out. Mine never try to get out so I don't need a fence. Anyhow, my vet always tells me if I let my cats out they would be stolen because they are Persians and very good looking. Not that I ever would let them out even if they weren't all that good-looking, but with pure-bred cats, it's even more dangerous to let them out because somebody might just take them. They are obviously aren't good fighters either.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When he first got home he was looking for a place to hide. But I think the pain overwhelmed him and he just collapsed in a pile of clothes. The vet found two huge scratches on his backside, and a couple little ones here and there. He has to take pills at morning and night for a week and he probably won't perk up for a couple days. He has been sleeping all day and now he just sits there with his eyes half closed (I think he can't get to sleep). He just sits in a pile of clothes in the laundry room and doesn't move, even to eat or drink. He is drowsy and he will look at my feet and torso, but not my head. And when I lie next to him he moves his head, almost like he doesn't want to look at me.
But he just purred for the first time today when I stroked him, so that is a good sign. I think it will all be ok. He just needs his rest. Thank you for all of your support. I'll let you know if anything happens.
P.S. Just now, he got up and wandered over to me. I think he wants me to sit with him. It looks like things are going to get better.
i think he's on his way to getting better, just make sure he gets plenty of rest and love

felicia

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont think its a good idea to let your cat out (even if you do wait a month) esp. unattended. Have you thought about getting a harness and a leash? that way you can go outside but you still have control of him in case something spooks him (her? sorry dont remember). Plus its a lot cheaper than building a fence that may or may not keep him in and others out. If you do like letting him out on the deck, maybe you could do like a sunroom add on? or screen part of it in? I would just hate to hear about something like this happening again. I am glad things are ok, really I am. Good kitty vibes for the both of you.

katman14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I'll think about a fence, or leash, or something. I don't really have to worry about someone taking him since we live in a small town of less than 500 people, but it could always happen.
He finally moved for the first time last night. He wandered to my bed and whined at me so I picked him up and put him on the bed, and he's been there ever since. I read an article about pills being stuck in the cat's throat and you're supposed to give him a drink with a syringe by squirting it in his mouth. But we don't have a syringe so we give him a treat after every pill (such as a little salmon, or some milk, etc.). Thank you for all of your support. I will keep you updated.