Need help and advice

chellerhompson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for any advice or help in any way. I have a 5 1/2 year old cat. Two weeks ago she had surgery to remove a cyst on her jugular. We brought her home first day she would not eat anything and second and third day she ate some canned food. After that for about two day she would only nibble at her food then stopped eating altogether. Took her the vet and the vet said she thinks she has pancreatitis and they gave her fluids, anti nausea meds, and anti acid med and kept her for the day however my cat is very aggressive and gets stressed very easily and was attacking anyone who came near her so we thought it would be better on her for her to come home. Next day I came home durning lunch and she still hadn't eaten so took her back for more fluids and meds. That night she never moved from one spot except to vomit clear liquid. I called the vet and she stayed on the phone with me for an hour and told me to have her back at the office first thing that morning. They put her on iv fluids, pain meds, anti nausea meds, and anti acids. They did blood work to make sure all was fine. All blood work came back normal and x rays came back normal. She stayed up there for two days and started to getting back to old aggressive self however still won't eat. So this morning the vet didn't want her getting to stressed out more than she already was so gave me meds and foods to give her. One food is a dry food that helps calm her digestive tract and some urgent recovery canned food to try to get her to eat even if I have to syringe feed her. As I have said before this is a very easily stressed and aggressive cat so I'm asking for any advice or help on how to feed her and get her eating. It's been 2 weeks since she has truly ate and I'm looking for anything I can do. The vet also gave me an appetite stimulate so I'm really hoping that will help. I'm at my nerves end and looking for any help to help my baby. Thank you.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing you can do is get some chicken or turkey baby food. Make sure it doesn't have onion in it. That might get her to eat. Maybe a can of tuna I have even given mine a can of sardines. Something that will try to get her to eat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chellerhompson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. She loves turkey. I should have put what we have already tried in the original post. We have tried chicken broth, baby food, and fresh food in all her favorites - still nothing. Sometimes she will smell it then turn away and sometimes she won't even sniff it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You might try taking her favorite food and warming it up slightly so it has a nice aroma and putting it near her nose while she sleeps.  Sometimes cats will wake up and automatically eat something.  I've never tried this trick myself but it's worth a try.

I can see why you want to avoid giving her food by the syringe if she is aggressive and easily stressed.  Will she take a little baby food off your fingers?  Sometimes cats who won't eat from their bowls will respond to hand feeding.

It sounds like you have a wonderful vet.  Has she mentioned the possibility of a feeding tube?  I know after having just had surgery this isn't the first choice but it might come down to that if she doesn't eat.

Good luck.  I hope your baby starts eating, soon.  

chellerhompson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try taking her favorite food and warming it up slightly so it has a nice aroma and putting it near her nose while she sleeps.  Sometimes cats will wake up and automatically eat something.  I've never tried this trick myself but it's worth a try.

I can see why you want to avoid giving her food by the syringe if she is aggressive and easily stressed.  Will she take a little baby food off your fingers?  Sometimes cats who won't eat from their bowls will respond to hand feeding.

It sounds like you have a wonderful vet.  Has she mentioned the possibility of a feeding tube?  I know after having just had surgery this isn't the first choice but it might come down to that if she doesn't eat.

Good luck.  I hope your baby starts eating, soon.  :cross:
Yea, I have tried finger feeding. She actually sniffed it this morning then growled at me. I tried a couple of times and that's what she did every time. So since the vet gave her meds this morning I'm trying to let her be for awhile so he will be calm and will have to give her meds tonight and might try to syringe feed her a little then. I will definitely try putting the food by her while she is sleeping. That's a great idea that I hadn't heard yet.

Yes, I love my vet. She gave me her cell number to call through the weekend if I need her. The vet hasn't mentioned tube feeding yet.

danyar17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can buy something called CatSure.  its a can of a milklike drink with alot of nutrients and vitamins. Its used for older cats that need more vitamins. Im going through a similar situation with my cat not eating but its only been 2 days. I bought CAT suRE and ive been bottle feeding her she really like sit and its the only thing shell accept. Its worth a try. Heres a link of what it looks like http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/petag-catsure-meal-replacement

chellerhompson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you can buy something called CatSure.  its a can of a milklike drink with alot of nutrients and vitamins. Its used for older cats that need more vitamins. Im going through a similar situation with my cat not eating but its only been 2 days. I bought CAT suRE and ive been bottle feeding her she really like sit and its the only thing shell accept. Its worth a try. Heres a link of what it looks like http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/petag-catsure-meal-replacement
Thank you! I will definitely check it out. I'll try anything at this point.