Need help/advice with new kitty!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi im new here, came here hoping for some advice on what to do about my two cats..

Story:

I have two cats.. My first cat Joey, is a orange tabby, iv had for 5 years, and is about 5 years old. I just rescued a new kitty, i named him Mikey, hes a black burmese, id say around 6 - 8 months old, still in adolescence. Both cats where strays.. And both are neutered.

Well iv been taking care of Mikey for about 2 months now, first he stayed outside on my deck for about 6 weeks cause i didnt want to bring him into the house and let him interact with Joey my 5 year old tabby untill he got neutered, and had all his shots and things.

Well i brought little Mikey in a little over two weeks ago, and things went ok at first. He stays downstairs with me, and we kept him separated from Joey for the first week while Mikey recovered from his neutering, and Mikey was just fine, and happy to be inside (he doesnt like being outside)

After Mikey was feeling better after his surgery, we decided to start introducing him to Joey, by taking them upstairs and letting them spend time together while i watched over them.

Well it didnt go to well at first. Joey who is a 5 year old tabby, very laid back, and basically fat and lazy. He shows no interest in Mikey, and basically ignores him unless Mikey gets too close, then Joey just growls and hisses at him.. But shows no signs of fear or any agression. Basically Joey doesnt mind Mikey as long as Mikey stays away from him. Which isnt my problem, i dont mind if Joey has no real interest in Mikey. Naturally id love for them to become best buddys, but thats not my concern right now.

My problem is i cant seem to get Mikey to just leave Joey alone. Basically ill bring Mikey upstairs so he can walk around the house and play and stuff, cause otherwise hes couped up downstairs with me, which doesnt give him a whole lot of space.. Just my living room downstairs, and my bedroom. Anyway, i bring him upstairs, and he explores around and plays with toys and with me and my parents and stuff, but eventually he always wants to go for Joey. Now ill have Mikey upstairs with us playing and Joey is just fine, sometimes he watches Mikey, but usually just ignores him. But eventually Mikey will come close to Joey, and Joey will growl and hiss, which usually ends up with Joey getting up and running away, and Mikey chasing after him. Which i find surprizing since Joey is at least twice the size of Mikey. I dont know if it means anything, but just to add that Mikey never hisses or growls at Joey.. Never does!.. When Joey growls or hisses at him, he will meow back sometimes, but thats it.

At first it was really bad, when i brought Mikey upstairs to interact with Joey. Mikey would constantly stalk and try to ambush Joey. I know thats how young cats play, and from what i could tell by Mikeys demenaor when doing it, he was trying to play. No puffed up tails, or raised back hair, things like that. But Joey runs, Mikey always chases him, which freaks my mother out, as shes scared they are gonna fight and hurt one another. Plus Joey is kinda my moms cat, so shes a bit over protective of him, and thinks Mikey is going to hurt Joey, so if Mikey chases Joey, or even shows that he might, Mikey gets put back downstairs right away.

Now this is causing problems for me because Mikey doesnt want to be couped up downstairs anymore. Hes constantly at my door reaching under it, meowing, wanting out into the rest of the house. Plus i work 10 hours every day, so Mikey ends up spending alot of time alone, which means when i get home from work (i work a hard labor job, so im always exhausted when i get home.) hes constantly at me, and is usually up all night wanting to play. Which i understand with Mikey being a Bermese, and they want tons of attention, and crave company, so him being alone most of the day, hes going to do that. But if i could just get him to leave my other cat Joey alone, then Mikey would have access to the rest of the house while im away, and can hang out with my mom whos home all day.

I want to let Mikey upstairs while im at work, but my mom is usually very busy most of the day with housework and things she has to do, so she cant keep an eye on them all the time so she doesnt want Mikey upstairs while im not home to watch over them cause shes worried about Mikey chasing after Joey and them fighting. Theres only 3 days a week where im home all day, and can bring him upstairs and watch over them, so the other 4 days a week he has to stay downstairs, alone for half the day.

Iv been bringing Mikey up as much as i can when im home to let him and Joey spend time around each other, and things have gotten better than the beginning. When Mikey gets close to Joey, Joey will growl and hiss and usually Mikey will back off, or lay down and give a little meow to Joey. But sometimes he doesnt back off.. Joey will growl, and Mikey will inch forward trying to get closer and closer. But once he gets within about one foot from Joey, Joey will growl loud and hiss, and sometimes just get up and run away, which of course when Joey runs, Mikey chases after him..

So basically im not sure what i should do different.. I mean things seem to be getting better, that Mikey is learning that Joey just doesnt want to be bothered with him, but eventually Mikey always ends up going for Joey. Basically when Mikey chases Joey, iv been catching Mikey and holding him down and repeat "NO!" too him over and over, then give him another chance, and if he goes after Joey again, i take him back downstairs.

I understand its only been a little over two weeks, and things like this can take time. Plus Mikey being in adolescence, hes very playful, while Joey is older and pretty much just wants to be left alone.

So if i can just get Mikey to leave Joey alone, most of my problems would be solved. That way i wont have to keep Mikey couped up downstairs all day while im at work, and he wont keep me up all night while im trying to sleep. Plus he wont be alone all day, he'll have my mom to follow and pal around with.

So anyone have any advice on how i can just get Mikey to leave Joey alone so i can let Mikey have free reign of the house, that way he wont be driving me nuts all the time, and i can finally get some sleep..

Thanks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO you need to let them figure things out on their own... What you are describing sounds normal to me - the territories are being structured, limits and hierarchies set. They will be fine... Playing chase is fun, and it is how they play. It can take a little time to get used to it, and get to know the differences in between fighting and playing.
In fighting you will hear loud screaming, hissing, growling, and it will get ugly - fur will fly. In playing they will tease by tapping on each other on the head and then running away to be chased after, and this can go back and forth for a while - my cats have play fights too... they wrestle, but I am 100% sure they are playing.
What you can do is give them plenty of vertical space for both of them - if you can, put shelves on the walls, window sills, clean up a couple of shelve on your bookshelf and put blankets in there, get a cat tree/condo...
Two weeks is not a long time at all... give it a couple of months and they should be fine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well see thats one of the things im worried about.. I want to just let them work it out themselves, and so far they havent actually fought, but when Mikey chases after Joey, Joey will scream, growl and hiss.. Mikey doesnt really make a sound, its just Joey. One time i did just let the chase go, and followed them, and eventually Mikey backed Joey into a corner downstairs, and Joey rolled over on his back looking ready to fight, hissing like a madman, while Mikey would just stop in front of him and wait. So after doing some research (using this site) i think im going to start over and reintroduce them in a week or so. And go nice and slow using some of the tricks i read about on this forum. I managed to convince my mom to compromise a little.. See we had Mikey confined to two rooms downstairs. The living room and my bedroom, because Joey had his litter box in the downstairs kitchen. But other than that, he never goes down there. So i convinced my mom to let me move Joey's litter box upstairs in the guest room, so now Mikey has the entire downstairs to live in instead of just two rooms. So he has triple the space now, and he's very happy about that. Plus he has a bunch of windows to sit in and look out now, which he likes alot. Id like to go vertical for Mikey, but there arent any places i can put shelves, but i do plan on getting him a kitty condo soon.. Joey has one already, so ill get Mikey one too. For now though he has a big cardboard box that i cut two holes in, so he can crawl in and out, and he loves it, so that will have to do untill next paycheck..

The most important thing i want to solve right now is being able to sleep, as i have a very physical job, and i also need to be alert and sharp because i use alot of power tools, and the last thing i need to too be exhausted from lack of sleep while im working with the table saw or something.. So im gonna play with Mikey alot for about 30 minutes about an hour before bed, run him around and try to tire him out, then feed him.. Hopefully that will tire him out so he sleeps when i go to bed at night.

Thanks for the advice. Ill keep working at it and give it time, and slowly work to getting them together..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're going to separate them and reintroduce them, one thing you can do to help the actual introduction time is to swap scents now. Get some clean wash cloths or rags, and rub each kitty all over with several. Put a "Mikey" scented rag underneath Joey's food dish, and put a "Joey" scented rag under Mikey's food dish. Whenever you play with either of them with a wand toy, end the session by putting a rag that smells like the other one down on the floor and put treats out on it.

The idea is to get them associating each other's scent with things they love (food, treats and play). It'll help pre-dispose them to tolerate each other a little better when you reintroduce them.

That said - you've got a young teen and 30-year old, and they're territorial - and so you've got that different energy level AND the territory thing they're going to have to work out at some point.

Also, just FYI, we thought our little Ming Loy was dying, the noises she'd make when being "attacked." BUT - she is ALWAYS the instigator. She hides behinds things and leaps out to tackle the other kitties.
They turn and chase her - and without even laying a paw in her, she'll scream and hiss and growl and howl bloody murder.

You're right - the lying on the back is definitely an offensive (I use that as opposed to defensive, because in my experience, the one on the back usually wins LOL) position. But the other things to watch out for are ears - are they flat back? That is actual aggression, not play. And the ridged back is also real aggression. When playing, tails will "poof" out like bottle brushes - and all the hissing, screaming and growling is part of it - unless those ears are flat back and/or that back is "ridged." Then it's real. Of course - if they're not actually hurting each other (much), when you get to that point, it's not a bad idea to let them work it out. Just have a throw blanket ready to toss over one of them if they're really in a tangle and someone's getting hurt.

Thank you for rescuing Mikey!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice about towels and putting their food dishes on them, ill start that right away. Mikey already has a towel with his food on it that he uses, so ill set one up for Joey as well..

As for when Mikey tries to sneak up on Joey, im pretty positive that Mikey is just trying to play.. He does not act aggressive, no growling, hissing, and his ears do not lay flat.. His tail will fluff up, but you said that was normal..

But as for Joey, he growls, hisses, and on the occasion that he runs, and Mikey gives chase, Joey will run downstairs, then eventually roll over on his back, his growl, and his ears are defiantly flat down on his head.. So i can pretty much tell Joey does NOT WANT TO PLAY with Mikey. So ill keep them separated for the rest of the week, and start with the towel idea, and ill start giving Joey any and all treats on the towel.

But things are better for me and Mikey downstairs though.. He now has the whole downstairs to explore and play in, and hes not nagging me constantly to "go out" anymore.. Also iv been giving him heavy play time an hour or two before bed, with a late night snack of kibbles after, and that seems to be working, as he will zonk right out when i do, or soon after..

Mikey is such a great little guy, to call him loving wouldent do him justice, he just loves to jump up in my lap, and rub his chin all over my chin, and loves to give me kisses.. Iv never had a cat this affectionate before, and i really enjoy it.. Joey was always affectionate, but only to a point. He basically will come over and want to be pet for a few minutes then thats enough for him. Other than that he likes to pretty much be left alone.. Mikey on the other hand stays glued to me everywhere i go, he sits and watches tv with me, and he actually watches the tv. Sometimes ill leave it on for him when i have to leave the house for a while, and he will sit there and watch it. He also loves to sit in my lap while i play video games at my computer (im a big gamer) Like when i play my favorite game, called Left 4 Dead, where you basically shoot zombies non-stop.. He puts his front paws up on my desk while sitting in my lap and trys to get the zombies while im shooting them.. Funny thing is, he always goes after zombies that im not currently shooting at, almost like hes warning me "hey dad, theres one over here, shoot em!" ..

Hes alot of fun, and a great little buddy, i love him to pieces..

Iv got a bunch of pictures of him on my camera, but i lost my USB chord that you use to hook it up to your computer to download the pictures, so ill go pick one up this weekend and post some pictures of him, and Joey.. Joey is just a big fat orange and white tabby, very cute.. But Mikey is just gorgious, hes solid black, with a blue hue to him when the light hits his fur, and he has a tiny little white patch right on his chest just below his neck, its his little bow tie.. And has the biggest brightest yellow eyes you have ever seen.. And man is he a smart little guy too.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing Mikey! Especially because he is a black cat. There are so many of them, and they are not adopted so quickly from the shelters. I think they are especially beautiful, but some people think they are too plain or common.

One of my 3 black cats, Claude, my oldest and biggest, has one of those little white patches on his chest. He was the longest resident of the shelter when I got him (3.5 years) so I call the white patch his medal. He earned it for perseverance in believing that someone would find him, love him, and give him a home. I know he had this continuing hope and faith because he kept a dear, sweet, loving, and grateful personality all those years he waited for me.

God Bless and Save Black Cats! (and all the others, too!)

As far as your other problem with your two cats getting along, I agree with all that has been posted. It will take time, but it sounds very normal. In it will get better eventually.

Robin

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Claude sounds like a special little fella, and im glad his patients worked out for him, and you.

As for saving black cats, i dont understand why people wouldent want them. I think black cats are the most beautiful cats.. Like Mikey, all black (except for his tiny white bow tie) and hugh yellow eyes.. Cats just dont get more beautiful than that in my opinion. Iv always wanted one too, so i feel very lucky that Mikey found me.

I took my camera to work today to take some pictures of my other cats.. I work at a hardware store and we have a large barn that we use as a warehouse. And people drop of strays around the area alot.. So i have 6 cats that i take care of in the barn, two girls, and 4 boys, and 3 of them are kittens around 6 months old. Theres Lady, the mamma of the 3 kittens, Bootsy whos the pappa, then Timmy, Sammy, and Shadow, the 3 kittens. Then Butters who is Bootsys brother. There was one other kitten, Mikey, he was a runt of the litter, but he didnt make it.. two months ago i found him curled up in the grass next to the barn, looked like he was asleep, but he was gone.. That was a bad day for me, but i buried him under a oak tree behind the barn, took a large rock i found and engraved his name on it with my dremel, then outlined his grave with small stones.. Sometimes i see the kittens and Lady the mamma taking their naps around lil mikeys grave, i dunno if they do it because they know lil mikey is there, or if they just like the shade of the tree, but thats where they like to nap..

Anyhoo, Once i get the USB chord for my camera ill post pictures of the "gang" as well..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jonesy, if you want to send me a private message about where you're located (espcially at work), I can see if there are any low-cost spay/neuter or mobile spay/neuter clinics around to help you get those shop cats sterilized so they can't keep producing homeless kitties.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would be a really nice idea, but even at low cost, i seriously doubt i could afford to get 6 cats fixed, as im basically trying to live on minimum wage, which is why im again living with my parents. I can barley afford my medical bills on my measly $150 a week paycheck (im still paying off medical bills from two brain tumors i had in 2008.) The only reason i was able to get Mikey fixed and all his shots was because my dad payed for most of it for me, and it was like $600.. So i dont think i could afford it.

Even if i could, i might be able to get Lady, and some of the kittens to do it, but i dont really know if it would be a good idea to get Boots fixed.. Hes a total tomcat/allycat. He is the Alpha male cat for the entire area around my store, and he defends it with vigor.. Hes a very big, very tough cat, and has lots of battle scars to show it. (hes also really sweet, but you wouldent be able to tell by looking at him.).. So i dont think i would want to get his nads removed, and have him lose his aggresive nature, as he would probably not last long with all the other cats in the area vying for territory..

Its a great idea, but i just cant afford that kind of commitment, it costs me an arm and a leg just to keep the 6 of them fed, so while i wish i could, its just too much for me right now..

So i take care of them the best i can, keep them fed, watered, and they have shelter, but thats all i can really do right now.. I even go to work on Sundays when we are closed and feed them and play with the kittens for a bit.. I wish i was wealthy and had a hugh house of my own, cause then i would just take them all home..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without knowing, there may be a TNR group willing to help, and it wouldn't cost you anything. There may even be a free clinic. They exist in some places. Your Tom would still defend the area, and if any of the cats are female, it'd help prevent those 6 growing into 60 over time.

My DH and I don't have a house of our own, we live in an RV and we do consulting work, barely making enough to cover our own costs of living. But we've worked out an arrangement with the vet where we get the neuter/spays and rabies vac done at a discount and we make payments over time.

We've kept the population of homeless cats in the RV park in where we live to a minimum.

And what about trying to get the kittens adopted out?

Have you searched for shelters/foster networks that may be able to take them? Especially now that kitten season is behind us, a foster network may be willing to work with them so socialize them so they can go to forever homes.

You can search here: http://www.petfinder.com I'd send e-mails to let them know of the situation you're in and the work you're doing, but you can't afford to have them sterilized - maybe they know of a low or no-cost place to have it done, or a TNR group that can help you - or of someplace to place the kittens.

Those kittens will grow up to have cats. And their kittens will grow up to have cats. The cycle doesn't end without the help of people.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a small little breakthrough this morning.. Brought Mikey upstairs to let him and Joe spend some time together, and i went up first, and went over and started petting Joey while he was laying in his chair. Mikey can trotting right up to Joey and they touched noses and sniffed each other for about 10 or 15 seconds, then Mikey walked on to explore the rest of the house. Not a peep out of Joey, no growling or hissing. Then Mikey went on to play for a couple hours around the house with no problems. Then he went back up to Joey, and laid next too him about 6 inches away.. With no growling from Joey. Then it was really funny, Mikey Sloooooowly reached out his paw, then paused... No growl from Joey.. Then Mikey reached out a little further, and laid it on Joey's butt, lol.. Then Joey started a quiet growl.. Then Mikey sloooowly brought his paw back in, lol.. It was funny..

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesnt sound like your cats are having major adjustment issues it all sounds like normal figuring out who each other is and deciding whos boss.

My 2 cats that I have are literally boyfriend and girlfriend they are so lovey towards each other but when they play my sissy girl male Hercules will yowl howl and cry like he is dying but I swear he only does it to throw GiGi off of her play so he can get the upper hand during 'battle'.... Now if Fatman were still with us and he let out a growl or yowl...You knew he was going to lay down the law. He was the alpha in the house over me, BF, both dogs and the other 2 cats. With him gone now we are having some alpha upheavals... My mini doxie is vying for top slot and so is my female GiGi, the two of them have been having some battles over the 'alpha' couch position.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a bit of a setback yesterday evening.. Brought Mikey up to let him hang out some more that night, and after him and Joey chasing around a bit, my mom picked Joey up and put him in the garage (Joey loves to hang out in the garage) then she went over to give Mikey a pet, and he jumped up and bit her on the soft underside of her arm, leaving 3 little teeth holes in her arm.. And he gave her a pretty good scratch on her hand.. She was not pleased to say the least.. So it might be a few days before hes allowed back upstairs to see Joey after that.. I dunno what would make him do that, he's been bitey with me before while playing, but he's never bitten me hard enough to puncture the skin.. Maby he was a bit over excited or something i dunno, but my mom seems convinced hes some kind of mean cat now..

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, bad news.. Mom kicked Mikey out of the house.. She claims its not because of the bite, but i know it is.. Shes so paranoid. Shes convinced that Mikey being a bermese that he will become agressive and hurt Joey whos a tabby..

So i dunno what to do now, im extremely upset..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he was just in "play mode" and over-stimulated from being petted at that point in time.

I'm really sorry she doesn't seem to understand that cats play - and he's just a kitty! He's full of energy, and it's great that Joey seems to (overall now) be OK with it. His reaction to her was not that he's aggressive, but that he wasn't in "pet me" mode.

So... no hope of bringing him back in? Would you like some links so you can look for a shelter or foster network that might be able to take him? Sure seems like he deserves a home!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he still has a home.. She didnt put him on the street or anything, but she says hes just gonna have to live outside now.. Before we brought him in 2 weeks ago he was living in my toolshed on my back deck, its very clean, and there isnt much in there but a few things.. And we have a large back yard for him to explore and play in.. But i dont like it at all.. Because he wants to be in with me, and i want him in with me..

I swear my mother just doesnt listen to me at all.. I even went as far as doing internet research on Burmese cats to show her that they are not agressive cats, and Mikey will not grow up and be beating Joey up whenever he gets the chance.. In fact things between Mikey and Joey have slowly been getting better with every upstairs visit Mikey would make.. They even touched noses and sniffed each other yesterday.. TWICE!, with no incident and no growling or hissing from either cat.. And me and my mother where so happy about that and really feeling like things where going to be just fine, that they just needed time to get used to each other, and work things out..

But then after a quick little chase between the two cats, and then she seperated them, and put Joey outside, and came back and went to pet Mikey and he grabbed her arm and bit her.. Clearly he was excited and in play mode, as we had him chasing a ball around the living room the entire time he was up there.. But after he bit her, and ill admit, he got her pretty good, i mean he did leave 3 little puncture marks on her arm.. But still, after the bite, that was it, out he went.. So even though she keeps claiming that shes kicking him out because shes afraid he will hurt Joey. (which is total bullcrap because other than trying to get Joey to play, and chasing him around a bit, he has never shown any agression towards Joey, hes never even hissed or growled at him, ever!) So this all happend after Mikey bit her, so this is all about her, not the cats, i know it is.. And thats what makes me so damn angry, as not only am i losing my new best friend to the outside, but shes totally destroying all the work iv done so far to get Mikey and Joey together.. Not too mention how poor little Mikey is going to feel being alone outside all the time.. I mean ill naturally go out to visit and play with him, and feed him, but its not at all like him being inside, where we can lay around together and really be together, its not like i can sit outside all day long after work. I'll probably end up sneaking him in through my bedroom window at night and letting him sleep with me, then put him outside in the morning before work..

So i dont know what to do now, im super pissed off right now, and iv tried to convince her to just give it more time, but she just plain refuses.. I even begged her to just let me have him inside with me at night, since its going to be getting cold here soon, and i would put him outside every morning before i went to work.. But she wont even do that..

Maby after some time has gone by, she may lighten up and let me bring him back in, but somehow i doubt it, but even if she did, im worried that it would be too late to get Mikey and Joey together by then, since its important to do it while Mikey is still young..

Anyway, i dont know what to do now, im extremely upset, so sorry for ranting on..

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well here me and Mikey go with our first night "underground".. After my mom put him outside he ran off and was gone for most of the day, probably because my dad was outside in the tool shed cleaning it out with his pressure washer, which is really loud, and moving all the stuff out that was in there, and setting Mikey up a makeshift apartment. But its 9:00PM now, So the folks are doing there usual watching movies before bed, so its not likely anyone will be coming down for the rest of the night.. So i opened my window, and sure enough, first sound i hear is a quiet little "meow".. Hearing it nearly made me tear up.. Then Mikey jumped up in the window sill.. So i removed my screen, and snuck him in.. Put blankets in under my door to try to discourage him from reaching under them and making noise. And i snuck his food in too.. Ill keep him in with me over night, then when i wake up in the morning ill put him back outside.. I guess this is just what ill have to do.. Because there is no way i can be apart from Mikey now.. We have totally bonded, hes in love with me, and im in love with him.. And he means the world to me..

You have to understand, im not some kid.. Im an older "young" guy, im 33, had some bad medical problems a few years ago, so i had to quit working and move back in with my parents.. I have a full time job now, but only make minimum wage, so i cant afford my own place, and im single, and very lonly, most of my friends have either moved away or are married with familys now.. So im really lonly.. And having Mikey has changed alot for me, im happy when i come home from work, hes right there waiting to talk too me, and cuddle with me.. Hell just someone else with me to talk too.. And Mikey is a great conversationalist, he talks right back to ya. Plus i love how he cuddles up with me at night, i put a big thick cusion on my computer chair, and i just slide it right up next to my bed, right where my head is.. So he sleeps just inches from my head.. Heck im even in a better mood at work because i think about how i cant wait to hang out with Mikey when i get home..

Im sorry for ranting, and im sorry that my mother blows everything way out of proportion, but im just not willing to give my new life with Mikey up..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm really sorry, that just sucks.
Trust me, MANY of us have experienced what you are - a lot of what you're going through! The economy has taken it's toll on lots of us. My DH has a medical condition that has totally changed our lives - we lost our house, and we sometimes have real trouble making ends meet. We bought an RV in 1994 that we lived in on the road for work for a while, so we had that or we'd be living with Gary's mom or my parents, and they'd be driving us nuts.

As to ranting... well... that's the wonderful thing about TCS - you can rant all you want to other cat lovers about how much your cat means to you and WE UNDERSTAND!
Most of us would choose to be with a cat over another human, I think. In The Cat Lounge a woman was just chatting about how it's hard to meet guys that like cats - and EVERYONE told her to hold out for the right guy - because who wants to compromise on their love of a kitty?

I think most of us would be doing the exact same thing in your situation.

What about talking to your mom (when she calms down) about keeping him down there with you? I know he'll miss the interaction with Joey - but he's not going to have that now anyway.
Cats don't really need a lot of space - they need a lot of stimulation. We live in our RV with 8 of them. We took out the dining area furniture and put in 3 cat trees. A bookshelf under the window has window seats on it so the kitties can look outside, and we cleared out the overhead cabinet, so from one cat tree they can get in one end (we leave the cabinet doors open) and they can pop out the other end onto the other cat tree. And we just play a lot with all of them, and they're quite happy!
Don't know if you can put up shelves in your room for Mikey, but being able to run around and go "up" makes play a lot of fun when the area itself isn't so big. Even if you can't, isn't this the coolest thing? http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201467

And here's a cheap way to make a cat tree: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221283

Just tossing ideas out there....

My parents are the kind that if you live at home, it doesn't matter how old you are, you live by their rules, so I know that rant too.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah i tried the whole, "just let him live downstairs with me" argument.. But nooo, she wont have that.. Because "this is Joey's house, and that includes the downstairs"..
Even though Joey RARELY ever comes down here.. Basically he comes down here to poop, cause thats where his box is..

I dunno, if it give it a week or two maby my mom will relax.. She always blows things way out of proportion.. It took me little over 6 weeks just to convince her to let Mikey into the house.. (my dad loves Mikey, and wants him inside too, but you know dad's.. They always do what the moms want." But he has his ways of getting her to chill out about things.. Thats how Mikey got in, in the first place..

So for now im just gonna sneak Mikey in after dark, and let him stay with me during the night, then put him back outside in the morning before work.. My parents are still sleeping when i get up for work anyway, except for my Dad, who works at the same hardware store i do, but he only works part time on weekends, and rarly ever comes downstairs in the morning.. So ill just sneak him out every morning.. I bring his food dish, and water in, and hide it in the space behind my bed.. And i took a cardboard box, and covered it in plastic grocery bags, and made a small litter box that i can just slide under my bed..

Mikey seems too like the outdoors anyway, and he's always so playful during the day, so maby it will actually be better for him to be outside where he can explore and play during the day, so hes not bored being by himself downstairs all day while im at work. I was hoping for a fully indoor cat.. But ill take what i can get. Cause i tend to worry when he is outside wandering about, although i dont think he ever really goes much farther than the yard, cause i can go out at any time and call and he will come running up. But my yard isnt fenced, so he does have the ability too wander where he wants.. Luckly he always sticks to the back yard, and never goes up front near the road.. But i live in a quiet neighborhood, traffic is very slow and light. So i dont worry about cars that much, plus hes smart enough to avoid them. There are quite a few other cats that live on my street though, i see them wander through my yard from time to time, so with Mikey being fixed, he wont be quite so agressively natured anymore, so just hope he can handle himself with the other cats, as im sure he will interact with them.. Especially the big female Siamese cat that lives down the street.. Shes been around a long time, and can be pretty mean.

Would you recommend i get him a collar for when hes outside? I thought about it, but then worried that maby it would get caught on something while hes our exploring and crawling around, like on a branch from a bush or something, and he'd be stuck.. Or is that pretty unlikely to happen.. Cause id hate for someone else to think he was a stray and pick him up, or if he did wander off, someone could call a phone number on the collar to return him or something like that..

Anyhoo, me and Mikey are off to bed.. Thanks for listening LDG..

Just gonna do what i gotta do to be with my buddy i guess.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well got through the first night with no problems.. Mikey was pretty tired from being out all day, so he pretty much just came in and sacked out for the night. But at least he got to sleep with me where he feels safe.. Put him back out this morning without much trouble. (he kept following me back too the door, but i got him to start eating his breakfast, and made a quick dash back in before he would notice.)

Mom was up eairly this morning just before i went out the door, which is unusual, but i dont think she suspects anything, although i wouldent put it past her to realize that im gonna be sneaking him in regardless of what she says..