Need food rec(s)!

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, cat parents and cat experts. My three are ages 5, 3 and 16. They were on prescription diets but my vet says its ok to feed regular. Please do not suggest raw, I am not doing that. I need recommendations for high quality food that comes canned and also dry. Currently they are on ID. My only qualifier is that I be able to get it either on the ground or from Chewy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, would you be interested in Merrick BackCountry, Weruva, and Halo for kibble?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been feeding my 2 cats Hound & Gatos canned food for about 6 months now and they thoroughly enjoy it. It does contain agar agar which sometimes causes digestive issues for others so if you can buy individual flavors locally, you might want to try some first. I get it delivered via Chewy and it only comes in cases of 24 for 5.5 oz cans.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina Pro Plan did a longitudinal study for cat food. One of the few longitudinal studies we have and has modified most of their formulas to match. It's my usual recommend brand now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What does t hat mean, exactly?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does t hat mean, exactly?
A longitudinal study is a long-term study.

We actually don't have a lot of longitudinal studies for cat foods (just the circumstance that many people have fed the foods that have been around for a long time).

Pro Plan® Prime Plus® Senior Cat Food | Purina® Canada

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Animal Hospitals

So you'll find the term 'high quality' subjective based on each person's personal opinion of what is considered healthy for a cat (In Some cases with bringing along their bias of what they consider healthy and packaging it up for cats as well).

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A longitudinal study is a long-term study.

We actually don't have a lot of longitudinal studies for cat foods (just the circumstance that many people have fed the foods that have been around for a long time).

Pro Plan® Prime Plus® Senior Cat Food | Purina® Canada

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Animal Hospitals

So you'll find the term 'high quality' subjective based on each person's personal opinion of what is considered healthy for a cat (In Some cases with bringing along their bias of what they consider healthy and packaging it up for cats as well).
Yes, given the lack of studies, most of this is purely anecdotal. And I completely agree about personal opinions, particularly given how individual cats' reactions can be to various foods. Our cats have multiple sensitivities that make certain ingredients -- notably agar-agar -- impossible for us to feed, making them unhealthy for our cats even though they may be perfect food for other cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, given the lack of studies, most of this is purely anecdotal. And I completely agree about personal opinions, particularly given how individual cats' reactions can be to various foods. Our cats have multiple sensitivities that make certain ingredients -- notably agar-agar -- impossible for us to feed, making them unhealthy for our cats even though they may be perfect food for other cats.
Beef cat allergy here! Each cat is certainly an individual.

Kittygirlfurever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Idk if u can get these brands but they might be worth a shot! Purina beyond,Blue buffalo tastefuls, sheba. They tend to be higher quality. My elderly cat has a very sensitive tummy and does well on these.😺❤