need everyone's opinion on wedding venue! ahhh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I agree with the Fairmont as well. Its GORGEOUS!!
Yeah, generally the Fairmont is regarded along with the Ritz and the Drake around here. A wedding reception would generally start at about $235 a person and go up up and up more depending on what you want. This place would definitely NOT be a consideration unless we knew Wayne as well as we do, along with knowing about 10-12 other staff members. As it is, the rooms start at about $390 a night...we pay $59 since we have so many close friends there.

In Chicago, the AVERAGE price for a wedding is about $150 a person for a suburban or chain-hotel affair....and right on up from there. Downtown, a moderatly sized wedding with the basics will cost right around $25,000-30,000. And it's a shame because there's nowhere else for us to go....both of our families live either around here, or in his case, NYC and in my case Boston. Translation: not any cheaper. And the 'burb I grew up in is sort of the Beverly Hills of Northern IL, so, yeah. THere's no escaping these prices. Unless we do a destination wedding to Kenosha or something. My parents, who are very traditional, do not want us to elope or have a destination wedding and have agreed to give us about 15 grand, and his family will be sending us on our honeymoon and covering the Rehearsal.
We will have between 80 and 100 guests.

But....yeah. Coming in at about $3,000 for the rental, the Cheney mansion was literally the cheapest private location we would find. Except for this one divey ballroom on the near-west side that only cost like 2K. It's RIDICULOUS.

I tell ya, this whole wedding thing is a racket. Who wants to change careers and go into the wedding business with me?!

Ian and have discussed this, and the more we think about it and take everyone else's opinions and advice into consideration, we're leaning towards the Fairmont, but want to go back to both places again before we put down our non-refundable deposit. The Fairmont doesn't fit into our original vision of the day, but the more we think about it, the better that idea becomes. But we'll see. It's a November wedding in Chicago after all...not the most beautiful or popular time of year. Maybe the Cheney mansion will make us an offer we can't refuse.

But I'm pretty sure our friends will really go the extra mile for us.
We'll see what they have to say when Ian and I go to see them next week.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me it would be a no-brainer. I would gladly give up a city view for a view of my grandfather at my reception. The city will always be here, your grandfather will not.

Take it from someone who has lost a lot of family members, don't ever give up a second of your time that you should have spent with them. Ever. I'm willing to bet you would regret it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

For me it would be a no-brainer. I would gladly give up a city view for a view of my grandfather at my reception. The city will always be here, your grandfather will not.

Take it from someone who has lost a lot of family members, don't ever give up a second of your time that you should have spent with them. Ever. I'm willing to bet you would regret it.
Well, he'd still BE there at the Cheney mansion, but if we can't get a wheelchair up the stairs, he'd miss the dancing

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Well, he'd still BE there at the Cheney mansion, but if we can't get a wheelchair up the stairs, he'd miss the dancing
I agree with Kelly. There'd be no way I'd have my wedding/reception at a location that my whole family couldnt attend - I know you'll make the right decision on where to have it! Either way, we all know its going to be a beautiful, beautiful wedding

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have to agree with the Fairmont. Your grandfather should be able to take part in all activities. I am sure he would be crushed if he couldn't witness your first dance, etc. It would just remind him further of his disabilities.