Need Desperate Help With Fighting Cats

KillerTofu630

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am desperate need of help! I've searched and found others with similar problems, but they don't seem to be a dire as mine. As I type this my hands are bleeding and I've got scars on scars from this. I have two 7 year old male cats I rescued as kittens. They have always been with me and are absolutely the most amazing cats. They are inseparable from each other and are always on my lap or following me. Last winter, my parents asked if I would take a feral kitten they found and I agreed. Several days later, I agreed to foster another, so now I have 4...my 2 old cats and the 2 newer, younger ones. I have been trying for a year to acclimate them. The younger ones get along fine, a male and female. Not surprisingly, my 2 older cats don't really like the new ones....they hiss and growl when the younger ones get near, but never attack. I have the 2 younger ones staying in a spare bedroom, but I don't want to keep them in there and I have been trying to leave them out for longer periods of time with the older 2 (I sometimes shut the older 2 in the master bedroom to let the younger 2 roam). The problem is the younger female cat is fine, she will sometimes approach the older 2 looking for acceptance, but gets the hint and walks away when they hiss. The younger male is the problem. He will seemingly approach them, but not as hesitantly as the female, but does back off when they hiss. After being out for like a half hour or so though, he will stalk one od the older 2 if they move or try to walk somewhere else. I am pretty sure this is not play. In one case, he did get to one of the older cats, and I am not sure if the older cat's negative reaction prompted a violent reaction from the younger one, bit my hands were shredded trying to break them up and the younger cat's whole demeanor changed, he even looked like he might have lunged at me as I herded him into the bedroom. He went after this older cat one more time and I grabbes him before he got there and again, was shredded. Tonight, he went after the other older cat he seemed more ok with and again....as I said, my hands are still bleeding. It's just so weird because he is ok for a while and then out of nowhere...an unprovoked attack. I am like 97% sure he is not trying to play, but he is young and plays a ton, but so does the female and she knows the older 2 want no part of it and doesn't play stalk them like she will the younger male.

I am afraid to let them fight it out or not jump in because they all have their claws and I don't need any expensive vet bills or permanent eye injuries. I love my older 2 more than life itself and can't let them get hurt, but I've really bonded with the younger 2.

I'm sorry for the novel, but I wanted to be very concise because based on my searches, while this isn't unique, no one else seemed concerned about the cats hurting each other, or even me, like I am. This is really killing me and has me so upset!

So does anyone have any advice?

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're concerned about them actually hurting each other or you, I think it might be time for professional help. I'm working with a veterinary behaviorist for my cats who aren't getting along (although you're right, my situation is much less severe).

That's the way I would go. My veterinary behaviorist told me that situations like these can be pretty hard to fix, and the fights tend to get more severe and more frequent each time they are allowed to happen. I would keep the cats 100% separate until you can see a veterinary behaviorist.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

Well, due to it being very late here, I'm going to keep this brief and call in an expert. But will just jot down a few pointers first.

Do you have cat trees and/or cat shelves? They need them. They need to take ownership of their own territory at different heights.

How many litter trays do you have, at least three? All in different areas of your home in discreet yet easy escapable areas.

Do you feed them separately or together? Maybe give them each a feeding zone and a totally separate water zone.

I recommend 'cat-calming' preparations for your two youngest, especially, but all four would benefit. The herb valerian is ever so effective, as is the amino-acid l-tryptophan, and the milk protein casein (Zylkene), search for 'cat (or pet) calming' online (e.g., Amazon). Feliway Multi-Cat plug-in diffusers would also be worth a try. In the UK, we have access to many excellent and varied products but it seems we are exceptionally fortunate on that front; however, I'm sure you can find something where you are with one or more of these ingredients, at least.

Upping play time with all of them to increase their confidence is key. But I'll hand you over to C calicosrspecial , if you have the time and space, please? Who can go into building their confidence etc in greater detail and with deeper empathy.

I wouldn't separate them yourself, if I were you. Clap very loudly, bang a gong, or squirt water if they're ripping each other to shreds but don't get physically involved in a bloodbath. Check each cat regularly for injury as cat bites and scratches can turn very nasty.

:hangin:

:vibes::goodluck:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, thank you for saving more lives.

Ok, we can get through this.

Did they actually ever really fight? Draw blood?

Cats attack because of fear typically. A lack of confidence, worry about being hurt. A confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked. SO we typically do a few things to improve this situation.

So Brian brings up a lot of great points on building confidence. Play is the most important. So I step up play with the cats that aren't getting along in the areas they aren't getting along. Really good play sessions, then after play i feed either treats or a meal. This builds confidence because it replicates the "hunt, capture, kill, eat" instinct they have in the wild. We want to play with them separately. Also, as Brian mentions we want to add cat trees and cat shelving if possible so the cats can go high as height builds confidence. Also, scratching posts and warm and comfy bedding so they can get their scent on things and "own" territory. Finally, we want to stay as calm and confident around them as possible as cats take on our emotions and give them as much love and good food as possible (as long as you are not at risk of being hurt in anyway).

I think I would keep them separate for now and go through the introductions. Making positive associations using food. Making sure every encounter is as positive as possible. So if you sense any tension we want to distract them before a negative incident occurs using play, or food, or calling their name. Anything positive to distract and avoid a negative encounter. So if we have them together for a minute and we sense tension we end it before they start something negative. Then we build on the time.

It sounds like it could be play. The one he stalks, how confident is the cat? If a cat acts like prey (lacks confidence) then it can escalate a situation. I would like to understand what exactly happens.

I would like to understand exactly how they are living now. Totally separate except for supervised encounters?

Also, never step in to a fight. Use a pillow. But we want to distract so we never get to that point.

Our goal really is to build confidence, make positive associations, and make every encounter as positive as possible avoiding any negative ones (staring, hissing, chasing etc).

I am battling a migraine right now but will try to watch for your response.

A behaviorist is always best as they can be there and see the interactions. But if money is an issue we can help.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to all the wonderful advice above, just making sure - are they spayed and neutered? All of them?