Need comforting words about CRF (and a little help)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're lucky to have caught Fire's CRF early. I've had several kitties with CRF over the years, and I understand the immediate feeling of "OMG, he/she is going to die!"
Its just really scary knowing that the time I have left with him is running out. Even if he does live for another 5 years.... It just doesn't seem long enough
While we all know that the time we have with our fur-babies is limited, the reality is never easy to face.

Have you joined the feline-crf-support on yahoogroups?
I totally agree; these groups are full of people with not only loads of experience, but they know just what you're going thru.

Sending lots of good wishes to Fire and your family.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you and your mom and your cat.

I hope he feels better soon.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our family cat is 18 and has been living with CRF for 3 years. Her BUN is always around 60 which is high but it stays at that level and she's been doingn great so I have good hopes for your moms kitty as long as you keep up with treatment. Especially subq fluids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We started Fire on Purina's NF. He really seems to like it... (Obviously from the previous picture, he likes just about any food you give him)

The dental cleaning is tuesday. I'm a little nervous. I know that the gas anesthesia is the safest, but I always get a little nervous when any of my animals have to go under.

My mother is now spoiling him rotten. Fire is HER baby. He picked her as his favorite. (He loves anyone who will touch him but he loves her the most) She tries her best to come across strong, but I know that its upset her knowing that there's something wrong with him. She really hadn't wanted to do the bloodwork at all (money's been a little tight) but after she found out he had CRF, she was willing to do whatever had to be done. The food is on the pricey side ($21 for 8 lbs), but she didn't even flinch at getting it for him. I told her Fire would need bloodwork every three months, she just said "OK. Remind me when its time for him to come in."

Even my father is willing to do whatever it takes for him. (My father is "mister hard-@$$ construction worker") I told him that down the line, Fire might need subQ fluids. He was more then willing to step up to the plate to do it.

Fire came to our house as a stray. (ALL the strays in the neighborhood have always known where to go) He was malnurished and desperately wanted someone to love on him. My mother took one look at him and that was it. Within 10 seconds he was in the house livin the good life. Fire and to deal with me and my little brother carring him around the house, picking at him, and all the other stuff 5 and 7 year olds do. But he NEVER once tryed to scratch us. If he's annoyed, he will simply get up and walk away. He's the gentlest cat I have EVER known.

This is Fire when we first took him in...

I'm feeling better now, knowing that we are doing all that we can for him. I just have to think of it like I think about Neville (For those that dont know, Neville has a brittle bone disease called osteogenesis imperfecta) One day his time will come. But it's not today. So I'm not going to worry until its time. For now, I am doing all I can for him and I'm going to spoil the living tar out of him.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

One day his time will come. But it's not today. So I'm not going to worry until its time. For now, I am doing all I can for him and I'm going to spoil the living tar out of him.
That's all we can do whether they are well or ill. Just love'em up.
You should look up my threads on Frankie...a starving to death girl we took in just over a year ago..she too has crf.