Need Comfort And Advice. Thinking Of Euthanasia.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old crossed over on November 8, 2016. Now, my 14 year old has pancreatitis and I think she is losing the battle. She's down to 7 pounds (her normal was 12-13 pounds).

Her health has been on a downhill slide for a couple of years due to slowly failing kidneys. Her last blood tests (the complete blood panel, along with kidney function and a look at her anemia) had slipped a bit, but not by much.

She's on prednisone and cerenia. She keeps staring directly into my eyes, pacing across my lap when I am sitting, and yesterday did something she's never done- as she stared into my eyes, she gave me two slow, distinct blinks. I believe she is trying to tell me how bad she feels.

I am thinking of euthanasia, but it's so hard because the call here is much harder to make than it was with Emily. Emily had stomach cancer. With Ashley, I'm not sure if there is something else wrong that could be fixed. I live with my mom, and she feels it is time. This is a stupendous thing, because my mom keeps cats going long past when it is time to say goodbye.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had a cat in this condition rally and pull out of this level of illness. I am going to speak to the vet tomorrow. I just wanted to get other opinions.

Thank you for reading and for any advice you can give.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this. Many people say that you will know when it is time but I have always struggled with it. I would give a lot of weight to what the vet tells you.

Is your kitty still eating well on her own? That is always one of the major signals.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It' a difficult place to be, that's for certain. Definitely discuss with your Vet, and really look into Ashley's eyes and "talk" to her, ask her what she wants. That's what I have done with all my furries that I've had to send to the bridge. And they've let me know when they were ready.

Additionally, here is a quality of life scale that might be helpful: Quality Of Life Scale

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is such a hard place to be. It's never easy making the decision, but if she's continuing to eat on her own and is using the box fine and her lab numbers look decent, then it may be awhile yet before it's time. However, having a plan in place when that time does come makes it easier.

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my beloved kitty euthanised a week ago. She had pancreatitis. The vet autopsied her and said she looked much worse inside than she appeared on the outside. Part of her pancreas had hardened and there was a lot of fluid in both her chest and abdominal cavities. She'd been sick 3 weeks and had stopped eating during the last week.

I was worried I had acted too fast, but actually I may have hung on too long because I had such a difficult time letting go of her. Pancreatitis is dreadfully painful, the vet said.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, this is the hardest decision to make for our friends. I agree with others who note that eating, drinking water is a sign that it may not be time quite yet. Dilated pupils may also indicate pain.

I lost two of my girls last summer. They were littermates so I do understand not wanting to make the decision too soon. With both of them there was was a point when they were struggling more than they should be and that was the day for each that I made the decision. For me it was a situation of are the days good, or bad? In other words, have we crossed the point that no more days will be good in all likelihood? And is the discomfort the cat is feeling frightening to the cat?

It may sound a bit silly, but your girl may understand that her time is short and she was looking at you because she loves you and wanted you to know that. The last night my Etta was here, she came and laid down by my head one last time. She hadn't done that for weeks because it was difficult for her to get up on the bed. It was for old times sake because there was no more time. The day I took her to the vet, I wasn't sure if it would be her last (breathing issue) but the vet couldn't resolve it. I'm fairly certain that if I hadn't made the decision that night, she wouldn't live for more than another day and it would be a terrible last day. Those were the things I considered at that moment.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We should all struggle with this decision even in the face of reality because no matter how sure your are or how right it is you will instantly question your decision once it is done. There is a wise way of thinking Better a day too early than a day too late. Euthanasia is the kindest gift we give to our dying pets and the most horrible thing we do to ourselves. It's very important to be honest about the situation and when you're giving them a little more quality time and when you are keeping them alive to protect yourself. I strongly suggest you have a consultation with your veterinarian.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a hard place to be. It's never easy making the decision, but if she's continuing to eat on her own and is using the box fine and her lab numbers look decent, then it may be awhile yet before it's time. However, having a plan in place when that time does come makes it easier.
Our saving grace when Kitten got sick was that we had discussed this issue long ago. It was not pleasant to talk about when she was young and healthy I can't imagine discussing it when you are under the stress we ere over the negligence that put us all in that position. At the same time if you're at home and can offer the serious palliative care a senior cat or ill can needs there is nothing wrong with squeezing out a few extra days/weeks or even months if the cat itself can be kept comfortable and happy. Again this is where you have to have a veterinarian that will work with you. If your vet keeps bringing up euthanasia perhaps it's time to look in the mirror and have a talk with yourself.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I had my beloved kitty euthanised a week ago. She had pancreatitis. The vet autopsied her and said she looked much worse inside than she appeared on the outside. Part of her pancreas had hardened and there was a lot of fluid in both her chest and abdominal cavities. She'd been sick 3 weeks and had stopped eating during the last week.

I was worried I had acted too fast, but actually I may have hung on too long because I had such a difficult time letting go of her. Pancreatitis is dreadfully painful, the vet said.
Your avatar is the saddest one I've ever seen. We all have that empty collar tucked away.