Need assistance with newborn kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How often she poops may vary. It could be more than once a day or skip a day, but usually every day. As their system get bigger they don't necessarily need to poop as many times a day. The amount of poop will increase though when they do poop as they get bigger.

You may want to try slowly extending the night feedings to every four hours, then five, then six over the next few days. If she does well with four hours for a night or two, you could try five hours. Bear in mind that she may drink more milk at each feeding, and that a growth spurt may alter her needs too. You don't want her frantic for the bottle. But she may be ready to lengthen the time between feedings and she may not. You'll have to experiment.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L lolaw
My kitten had/has the same problem. It is the formula, I'm guessing. I use power which apparently clumps up in their intestines and backs them up. Someone had reccommended that I use liquid formula--but it caused my kitten to get very runny dierrhea.

When you stimulate her, do you rub her stomach for a good amount of time? It took about 5-6 minutes of tummy rubs every stimulation to get a good poo out of my kitten. I would take a small piece of tissue/cotton ball and rub vertically on her stomach--like a momma cat's tongue. That seemed to work for me as well. Also try to rub the tissue/cotton ball at the sides of her butt.
A vet also reccommended that I use a bit of petroleum jelly (I prefer a petroleum-free baby ointment) at the end of a thromometere to stimulate by placing the tip in his anus.

As for using oil: I used olive, canola, or vegetable oil because, honestly, mineral oil is no good for us--so why would it be good for a pet? Just my personal take on that matter.

I hope your little one takes a nice, big poo soon!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been doing just about everything u mentioned but I am using powder goat milk maybe I should which to liquid and yeah at first I was using liquid and she had diarrhea... Wonder if I make the switch to liquid how long it would take her to use the bathroom after it

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the vet? It's so sad to watch your little kitty like that. I was worried (still am) about my little ones bathroom habits. I know the stress. :(

She still pees, right? If she still does that I doubt anything is wrong with her besides the constipation.

If you switch to the liquid goat's milk, canned pumpkin is good for diarrhea. I use it with my pets. Just make sure it's unflavored and only give her a little. Have you read Chaos' Guide to Constipation? Here is the link if you haven't! http://dailykitten.com/chat/topic/chaos-guide-to-constipation/

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She still pees and eats really good just won't poop I'll go buy her the liquid milk today hopefully she will poop soon after starting it

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick question, have you been checking her nest for poo? I noticed that I find little poo in my kitten's crate. It was normally in the spot he sleeps the most. If you find them, it could be that she pooped when you weren't around/looking.
Have you also tried stimulating her before and after you feed her?

If the liquid doesn't work, as long as she poos a little, she should be fine until you can start weaning her. If I'm not mistaken, she's almost 2 weeks? That was around the time my kitten became constipated, too.

Also, don't worry about her eyes. My kitten's didn't start to open until he was almost 2 weeks, then fully opened a few days after.
(She's a cutie, btw! Can we see a pic of her now? And is that a dog in the background of the pic you posted? Haha.)

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has both eyes open now they opened the other day just been to worried about her being constipated for an update [emoji]128542[/emoji] and no poop in her nest at all and yes that's actually a pit bull in the back ground who thinks she is a cat lol I have videos of her chasing lights lol and yes I'll take a pic of her and post it her next feeding [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a pit. That's adorable. I can't wait to see what the little kitty looks like now! Does her coat have any markings besides the white on her face?

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. These was from a few minutes ago she doesn't really have any markings but her tail has stripes of light and dark gray

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's too cute! It looks like she has some tabby markings on her head. Her eyes don't seem to be fully open. Maybe another day or so and they'll big big and open! She's 2 weeks today, right?

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
15 days today hard to get a good pic cause she is full of energy lol

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No still no poop I am taking her to the vet

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully nothing is wrong. They'll probably give her an enama and try that triangle method-thing everyone talks about.
Good luck with the vet visit. Keep us posted on the little ones progress. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vet trip is good. Be advised that she is too young for vaccines at two weeks old.

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the doctor will be coming out to my house in the morning to take care of her

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
starting to get antsy waiting for the vet appointment hope he comes on time and is not late actually would be happy to see him show up early and I really hope this solves her problem because I know her belly has to be hurting her and it pains me to know this :(

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll get her fixed up in no time!
When she starts eating solid foods in a few weeks, she'll poop up a storm. :) I find it funny how the caretakers of these little beings become so excited at the sight of poo.
For your sake, I hope she poos a big one. You'll feel much better when you see it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hope it goes well with the vet. I love vets who make house calls. It's so much less stress on the animals. :)