Need Assistance With New Kitten

NadineD92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So I just got my 8-week-old kitten today. She was the runt of the litter. More then half the size smaller then the others. I have been working on litter training her today, how ever she will not go. The people I have got her off of has told me she wasn’t littered trained but she will meow when she has to go. She has slept the majority of the Day was up for a couple mins to play then went back to bed. She eats dry food drinks water as well but I’m wondering should I be giving her something else with it like goats milk or kitten milk? Should I try giving it to her in a eye dropper? Also her eyes are watery still is there eye drops I could give her without being prescribed? I have been wiping her eyes to try and keep them clean. She’s so tiny I just want to keep her healthy and have her grow stronger!

Attachments

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s very cute.

Some questions
How tall is the litter box? Can she get in and out on her own?

Where is the box? Is it close by?

You may want to put puppy pads down for accidents. When she finally goes poop, place it in the litter box so it has her scent. It will show her what it’s for.

Where did you get her?

See a vet for her eyes. I wouldn’t take a chance guessing on a treatment.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s adorable! Definitely supplement with kmr (avoid hartz) or goats milk. I would see a vet for her eyes, she likely has an upper respiratory infection so will need antibiotics and eye savv. Don’t buy over the counter.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything said already. However, I would not feed her solely dry food. It's very bad for cats. I honestly believe that wet food is the way to go. She definitely needs to see a vet for her eyes.

She is a super cute kitten and very lucky to have you!

BlameHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look at her go! So adorable. I would recommend to keep the litter box in the same place at all times. This way, once she understands what it's for, she will always know where to go. That's what I did when I first adopted my cat and so far he's peed somewhere else only once in the past 15 years.

I think it might still be a bit too early to give her milk. Wait another month maybe and then you could start mixing milk and water. Try to avoid givng her pure milk though! According to my vet, it's not good for cats.

PlatinumX

Breeding for healthy Persians
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So I just got my 8-week-old kitten today. She was the runt of the litter. More then half the size smaller then the others. I have been working on litter training her today, how ever she will not go. The people I have got her off of has told me she wasn’t littered trained but she will meow when she has to go. She has slept the majority of the Day was up for a couple mins to play then went back to bed. She eats dry food drinks water as well but I’m wondering should I be giving her something else with it like goats milk or kitten milk? Should I try giving it to her in a eye dropper? Also her eyes are watery still is there eye drops I could give her without being prescribed? I have been wiping her eyes to try and keep them clean. She’s so tiny I just want to keep her healthy and have her grow stronger!
Hi , do 24 hours you have had her ? Continue to put her in the litter box also I always have my buyers confine the kitten at first . She is in a different environment so introduce her slowly as to not overwhelm her. 6 weeks is a little early I would put some wet food down see if she’s tempted and will eat some . Water is the most important are you positive she’s not had any water ? If she still hasn’t drank any I would get a syringe and SLOWLY suppress it down point it toward the cheek . She will most likely start drinking it. Yes you can certainly get goats milk remember if it’s the one on the can at the grocery store you must dilute it by half. :) Her eyes im not a vet nope but I’ve been breeding for 12 years
Sounds and looks like a URI an upper respiratory infection. Not fatal at the moment but she’s got to eat and drink. If she can’t smell the food she won’t eat make sure she’s clear. Also get her to the vet she should go anyway. They can check her over. I think it’s minor what’s going on HOWEVER can become serious quite fast . I hope this has helped you out. cute baby let the vet see her she will e running all over your place real soon .
Shellie Johnson

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... she's really cute. I agree, a vet visit is a good idea. Also try feeding her wet food. Maybe watered down a bit if that helps her to slurp it up. Have you chosen a name for her yet?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at her go! So adorable. I would recommend to keep the litter box in the same place at all times. This way, once she understands what it's for, she will always know where to go. That's what I did when I first adopted my cat and so far he's peed somewhere else only once in the past 15 years.

I think it might still be a bit too early to give her milk. Wait another month maybe and then you could start mixing milk and water. Try to avoid givng her pure milk though! According to my vet, it's not good for cats.
Cats should not have cow’s milk, whether it’s diluted or not. Cats can’t digest cow’s milk.

Kitten milk replacer is an option.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your adorable little baby kitten! What a sweetie! :devilcat:
She looks really small and so young! I can't believe she's 8 weeks! Did the previous owner tell you that when she meowed to go potty, she was going in a litter box? Did they just put her in the box when she meowed? Or was the momma still helping her with that? I sugget using a low-sided cardboard box at first, as a litter box was too high for my kitten when I first got her. Keep the kitten in a very small area with the litter box so that she can easily find it at first.

KMR is really good kitten milk, and it's easy to find in either the can or the formula. You can give it to her in an eye dropper, or it comes in a kit with a small bottle to feed her. The formula should supplement some regular wet food if she's already weaned and eating regular food. Kittens that young eat multiple, smaller meals a day, so it's not difficult to do both. Both the KMR and wet food will help keep her hydrated, but keep making sure fresh water is available at all times.

The vet gave me some antibiotic eye salve when I first got my kitten, and it cleared her eyes right up. I agree that a vet visit is in order. They can have a look at her, and let you know about the vaccination schedule she will be on soon, and give you any other tips you might need.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Milk is NOT good for cats. It can cause diarrhea. Cats do not need milk except when they are neonatal, from their mom or if their mom is not with them, with a kitten milk replacer. Cows' milk should never be given to cats.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't really need to be litter trained. It's instinct for them to dig, squat, and bury. I've never had to do anything more than show them the litter box and they use it. Even Marcy and Mickey used it right away and we picked them up from the streets. However, Connor and Murphy - who have been house cats since birth and came to us when they were about 3 months old - wouldn't use it the first couple of days. At first, I thought it might be because the litter box used to belong to another cat so I bought a new box and new litter. As soon as I set it up, they started using the original box! Little brats. I think they were just adjusting to the changes. So give her some time and she should start using it without a problem. Make sure it's set up in a quiet, somewhat private place. Some cats don't like to go if there's a lot of activity around the box.
If she's eating solid food, that should be all she needs. When Connor and Murphy were kittens, I kept dry food out all the time and gave them each half a can of soft food morning and night. I had to stop with the soft food after we got Mickey because it didn't agree with his stomach and caused the smelliest poops you can imagine. The vet said to just keep him on dry food and I can't give the others soft and leave him out so we just don't use soft food anymore. We have a kitty fountain and, judging by the softball-sized clumps of pee in the litterbox, they stay well hydrated and none of them are overweight. Marcy still seems slightly underweight, but she was horribly emaciated when we found her. She's really filled out a lot since then. Connor is a huge 15 lb brick of a cat - nothing soft about him! Mickey looks chunky, but he's got so much fluff, it makes him look bigger than he is. He's a good, healthy weight. Hard food hasn't hurt them a bit. We feed them Purina One hairball formula - we switched from kitten formula when they turned 1. It's not the highest end food, but meat is the first ingredient so it's not straight junk like most of the really cheap stuff.
I would talk to the vet about her eyes. She might need some antibiotics and you want to take care of that before it has time to really become a problem.
All cats sleep a lot - especially during the day. They're usually more active at night, but they spend somewhere around 2/3 of their lives sleeping.

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omgosh so darling as far as the litter they have kitten attraction litter that is nice also I would place her in the box when you think she needs to go if she has an accident place it in the box to get her scent in there. An old trick that has always worked I'd place the box in a small room(bathroom) with her feces in it and leave her in there over night with food water etc she should start to use the box place her in there and move her feet also so she can feel it. As far as the food I would buy a baby cat food royal canine makes one the kindles are so tiny it makes it easier I would wet the dry a tad also water or broth works. Also wet food is a must as it provides much needed moisture in there diet. I'd leave the dry out for her to graze and feed 3 small wet meals a day really as much as you can and as much as she will eat. It's recommended kittens this young are allowed to eat as much as the want especially with her being so tiny. Kmr formula or goats milk is a great addition to feed suplimentarialy. Congrats on your new addition!!