Need Alternative Recommendation

lorilynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello; I hate that every time I run into a another problem that is when I come here for help:( I thank goodness for this site for feline lovers!!! Just found out my 9 year old (India) has renal disease and is on special diet, KD from the Vet. Vet said no more "Temptation Treats". What is the alternative for treats?? I look forward to hearing back so I know what to do or get. Thank you, LL

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lorilynn lorilynn - Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Cat Treats (since your veterinarian has probably already recommended Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support food) are low fat, low phosphorus and low sodium; they're specifically recommended for cats with renal complications.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m so sorry India has kidney disease. I've been through this three times over the years with my various furkids :frown:.

Just wanted to make sure you are aware of this website, which is my go to for anything kidney related: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat There is tons of information on that site, but well worth a "look see". There is even a section on food, because many kidney cats do not like the prescription foods available, or only eat them for a short while.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet if freeze dried meat treats or plain cooked meats are ok for your cat.

Fresh cat grass and cat nip are great and wouldn't affect the kidneys at all.

Or try non-food treats: a brushing sessions, extra play time, etc.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if freeze dried meat treats or plain cooked meats are ok for your cat.
I was just going to suggest some baked chicken.

Sorry to hear about India. I know how hard it is.