Need Advise: Sick Stray

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take care of a lot of my neighborhood stray/ferals, and two days ago a kitty showed up that appeared sick. She let me get close enough to her to pet her, and I can see that her bottom half is soaked in urine, and when I give her soft canned food she appears to have a hard time eating it. I brought her in my house in our spare backroom and made her a straw box to lay in just to get her out of the cold for now. I simply don't have the money to take her to a vet. I live paycheck to paycheck myself. My question is what should I do? The only thing I can think to do is take her to the shelter where I know she has a high chance of being put to sleep, but I don't want her to suffer. Any advice?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any no-kill rescue groups near you that might take her? They might be able to help her. Thank you for taking her indoors and feeding her.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell us where you live and we'll help you research rescues. In the meanwhile, would she let you take a wet to damp rag and wipe the urine off her? I'm concerned that if not dealt with it might result in urine scald.

Thank you for your efforts for this poor feline soul.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tell us where you live and we'll help you research rescues.

Thank you for your efforts for this poor feline soul.
I live in Mesquite TX. Its just outside of Dallas. I contacted a couple rescue groups earlier today, but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I would appreciate any help :) Thank you.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've sent ashade1 a private message. She is a wonderful person who actually has a rescue, albeit just not in your area. Nevertheless, I thought she might know of one. Do you happen to know if the Richardson Animal Shelter is a kill shelter? It has very good reviews but I would think that a government funded shelter would euthanize.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've sent ashade1 a private message. She is a wonderful person who actually has a rescue, albeit just not in your area. Nevertheless, I thought she might know of one. Do you happen to know if the Richardson Animal Shelter is a kill shelter? It has very good reviews but I would think that a government funded shelter would euthanize.
I'm sorry for the late reply! I was able to get her in with a rescue group called Dallas cat matchers :) Now one of my regular strays that I feed is acting ill so I'll be taking him to the vet in the morning. Hopefully it's nothing to bad. Thank you for your response :)