Need Advice

lucyred92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I have a couple of questions my cat gave birth yesterday her and babies are doing great however I’m wondering is there a certain type of food she should have for nutritional purposes etc and also she lives with the dad of the babies will he try or would she let him help her and get involved? I’ve never done this before so a tad clueless lol
Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No he will not get involved with caring for the babies. I have heard of neutered males having a real affinity for kittens but not intact toms. She probably will not let him near the kittens because intact males will sometimes kill the kittens so the female will come back into heat. She can come back into heat again before the kittens are weaned and will end up pregnant again.

I don't know that she needs a 'special food' just a high quality food and all that she wants to eat. Be sure to keep plenty of water out for her as well.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just try to keep the male away as they sometimes kill the kittens, so I have heard. There is special food for the mother and the kittens when they eat dry food. I think it is Royal Canine and it is for mother and baby. I have had cats give birth in my yard, but I always just make sure they have plenty of food and water nearby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyred92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he will not get involved with caring for the babies. I have heard of neutered males having a real affinity for kittens but not intact toms. She probably will not let him near the kittens because intact males will sometimes kill the kittens so the female will come back into heat. She can come back into heat again before the kittens are weaned and will end up pregnant again.

I don't know that she needs a 'special food' just a high quality food and all that she wants to eat. Be sure to keep plenty of water out for her as well.

lucyred92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay doke thank you I’m getting him neutered this week anyway but I’ll keep them separate thank you for your help

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is great! Enjoy your beautiful babies meanwhile. It is the best of times. You will see after he is neutered he will lick them and be close to them. They are going to make a beautiful family.

lucyred92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you it’s all bit surreal right now lol but they are beautiful

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG the best picture ever. I have a picture like that too as one of my cats when I found her in the streets she was pregnant and gave birth in my bathroom mat. Adorable babies! Give each one of them a kiss from me!

lucyred92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG the best picture ever. I have a picture like that too as one of my cats when I found her in the streets she was pregnant and gave birth in my bathroom mat. Adorable babies! Give each one of them a kiss from me!
I will do thank you they are amazing

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male will still be fertile for a month after his surgery and will need to be kept away from your female for that window.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not sure the male will be any danger to the kittens. Esp not if he is friends with momma. He may even help.
But its safest to isolate if not by any other reason so not to get momma preg again.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to give the mom some extra nutrition while she's nursing, get some commercial kitten food for her. It has the extra nutrition and calories that growing kittens need, which is exactly what all that kitten milk she's producing is taking out of her body. Doesn't need to be an expensive brand or anything, just kitten food instead of cat food.

Margret

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also offer mom dry kitten chow 24/7 in addition to wet food several times a day.

A dish of PetAg kitten formula a day will also give her the extra calcium she needs during nursing. Get a can of the powdered version.