Need Advice.

Annata

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to unavoidable reasons being cancer I won’t go into I had to move to a small apartment. The dog we had I couldn’t bring because he was basically my husbands dog. So I was left with nothing. Hubby stays here a lot but he is not one I can cuddle up with at night as he stays home with the animals.

The landlord said I could have one pet but only one. We live in a small rural area. So humane society is about 70 miles away and on numerous times I called they did not have any that were housebroke. I did not want that cause I knew my weakness from. Chemo would make housebreaking tough.

In any case to make a long story short. Eventually a cat showed up with kittens. Starved to death and weak. I started feeding and caring for her outside. Eventually the kittens were born raised and all went to good homes. I tried bringing here indoors but she never really adapted to it. She wanted outside. She will not cuddle with me or sit on my lap. Only wants me or to come in for food then back out.

This has gone on for over a year now. Only on the cold frigid days does she elect to stay in. So I am thinking of turning her back outside soon as the weather warms. That is where she wants to be anyway. She is not happy indoors and not satisfying my needs but I still love her and would continue to feed her.

Guess my question is how is this going to affect her after being indoors for the winter? Any advice would be most helpful. She is spayed but not declawed. Which is another thing. She tries to grab my hand but always has her razor sharp claws out and has drew blood a few times which also is not good for me being on chemo

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, thank you so very much for coming here!! First, let me say that I'm sending every good thought I own your way for improved health!
Thank you also for doing such a great job with her and the kittens! I think she will be ok back outside with you feeding/watering her. I was wondering, if there are days you are low on energy is there someone who'd be able to step up and feed her?
Also, for rainy days or when she just wants to hang out, maybe you could get one of those outdoor shelters, or have someone construct one. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annata

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response. Helps me with my decision.

I have a garage she can get in that is well enclosed with shelves up high. I figure I can feed her in there. It is close by and I feel good enough to do that. If the weather is bad I can get my husband to feed her when he comes over.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a particular reason she can't just keep doing what she's doing, coming in for food and then going back out? Seems like it's working so far. I don't see any reason to refuse to let her in. She'll probably spend more time outside when it's warm anyway.

Annata

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a particular reason she can't just keep doing what she's doing, coming in for food and then going back out? Seems like it's working so far. I don't see any reason to refuse to let her in. She'll probably spend more time outside when it's warm anyway.
I can’t because my landlord will see it as having two indoor pets. And I am only allowed one.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - not trying to answer for the OP by any means (I'm just really really good at gabbing LOL), but seriously, I'm guessing she is still going to try and find a cat that will be a loving housecat and that will share her heart and lap.
I'll say this, any animal that comes under her care is a fortunate creature :heartshape:

Annata

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the compliments furballsmom. I admit I am a softie for animals.

In answer to Maggie’s question. Yes I mentioned to a friend my situation and and she has to go take care of her mother uunable to keep the Shih Tzu she has. She offered him to me. He is very cuddly snd sweet. So my thought is when it warms up turning my cat back outside since that is where she wishes to be anyway, and taking him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Female cats are not known to be cuddlers, especially when they are not in the kitten stage anymore. If she can stay in your garage, there really isn't any reason you can't get a gentle male to stay inside. She couldn't count as a house pet if she spends the majority of her time outside can she? If the landlord says anything you can say the truth, she just showed up one day and doesn't live in the house. An outside insulated house could be set up for her too. All the luck!