Need Advice

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just noticed my cat whimpers when I picked him up today and forgot about then later that day I picked him up and he did it again. It's seems to be when I tuck his tail and back legs in my arms when he does it. But did it when my husband cradled him like a baby he whimpered too. He ate his dinner, no vomiting, or anything. He has been weeing and so on like normal. He is very quiet and when I pat him down his back he usually lifts his tail but he isn't. We have no money to take him to the vet. He walking slower too. He is 3years old and had him for just over a year. When he walks his tail is down even when am giving him food. What could it be?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Only a vet can tell you what is wrong , but it sounds like he may be injured. You really do need to get him to the vet ASAP because he's suffering. Since you are in Australia, none of the U.S. sources for free/low cost vet care that I know about will be any help. Have you tried searching for free and low cost vet care in your area? Some large animal clinic chains in the U.S. offer a free first visit - it might be worth checking to see if there is anything similar available where you are. You can also call local rescue groups or shelters. They probably know what resources are available.

It's tempting when our cats are in pain and we can't affort care to treat their pain with human OTC pain meds. Please don't do that - these meds can be highly toxic to cats.

Please let us know how he does. And good luck - I hope you can find a way to get him to the vet. :catrub:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just noticed my cat whimpers when I picked him up today and forgot about then later that day I picked him up and he did it again. It's seems to be when I tuck his tail and back legs in my arms when he does it. But did it when my husband cradled him like a baby he whimpered too. He ate his dinner, no vomiting, or anything. He has been weeing and so on like normal. He is very quiet and when I pat him down his back he usually lifts his tail but he isn't. We have no money to take him to the vet. He walking slower too. He is 3years old and had him for just over a year. When he walks his tail is down even when am giving him food. What could it be?
Three is pretty young for something like arthritis so that is probably not the problem. More than likely its a mild injury. A cat can injure itself when jumping down, unusual but possible. I would just wait and see. Some would disagree with me about it but if you don't have the money for a vet visit then just wait a while and see if it goes away. If it was a really serious injury that caused a lot of pain the cat would not allow you to pick it up. If it gets noticeably worse then you might need to do something. How long does it take for you to get over a bruised heel? Several weeks. If it still hurt after that then it might need to be looked at.