Need Advice To Put Kittens Up For Adoption

Kittylover1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat people.
This is my first time posting, although I have been reading the forums for years.
3 weeks ago We took in a pregnant stray we had been feeding in the backyard the day she gave birth. She herself is quite young, I’m guessing around 7 months old and gave birth to 3 perfect kittens. We already have 6 cats in the house, so there is no possibility for keeping another 4. I’m sure you understand that would be just too much.
Here are some details about the mother, btw I call her Britney. She has a separate room with special wet food and litter box provided and her kittens are in a basket tucked away in a closet I emptied for them. Britney is not a worry, we are planning on keeping her and spaying her.
I need to find homes for the kittens, and I really need advice since The rescue centers aren’t helping, they themselves are telling me to go to the local shelter and when I called the shelter they weren’t helpful at all. They told me to put them up on Craigslist or Facebook and I don’t want to do that since we all know some people would sell the kitties to testing labs.
Any advice regarding finding good new homes would be appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, thank you for helping this little mama and her family! I know that you want the best for the kittens. Now, let me do some looking and see what I can find as far as screening potential adopters goes, and we'll go from there!

~elevator music plays~

AH HA! Here's what I was looking for:

"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

I hope this helps! Welcome to TCS. When you have a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your entire feline family to the community. I'll warn you ahead of time, EVERYONE will want pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittylover1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, thank you for helping this little mama and her family! I know that you want the best for the kittens. Now, let me do some looking and see what I can find as far as screening potential adopters goes, and we'll go from there!

~elevator music plays~

AH HA! Here's what I was looking for:

"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

I hope this helps! Welcome to TCS. When you have a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your entire feline family to the community. I'll warn you ahead of time, EVERYONE will want pictures!
I read the article, thank you so much. It was very helpful.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good! LOL, I don't always know answers, but I'm really good at tracking stuff down! That's actually the meaning of my little "Helper" badge...not an expert, but a good traffic director!

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? Some no-kill shelters here (NH/MA border) including the one I volunteer for, offers free spays for mom if you give up the kittens who are then spayed/neutered, vetted, and adopted out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, the first rule to screen off the worst, is to take payment for the kittens Absolute minimum is 20 dollars, as its the usual market price for sell ing to these labs or for food. But preferably more. In Sweden the standard is creeping upwards 100 dollars. As our biggest selling site demands a minimum price of 70 dollars, and 12 weeks...

The only exceptions is if you know the adopters, and know the kitten will be taken as a priceless dear gift...
So "kitten for free to a good home" MAY get lucky outcome, but its a highly dangerous business for that kitten. You never know untill afterwards.

Also, many persons thinks what is for free is virtually worthless. Why not, if something happens, its just to get a new kitten...

If you feel demanding payment is awkward, an easy way to go around it is to take return payment for spaying / neutering, deworming and such. Its no money at all for any serious adopters, because they know they would otherwise pay it themselves. But its of course a big no no for any villains, taking away any profit they can imagine.

Another tip, instead or to reinforce the above, is they do donate to some charity - may be their own choice - in the cats name. I would suggest Doctors without boundaries Medicines sans frontiers, but almost any will do.
Say the cat is Charley, they are the family Hotchkiss. The donation is from Charley Hotchkiss....
It creates a magical bond too; noble feelings of themselves of themselves giving to a good cause almost anonymously, connected with this cat...

My bro, whom once got 14 kittens from his two young females before he though spaying was necessary, used a trick. He advertised in the local newspapers and in the shops around. He tried to pick up families with children. And he arranged it so: the child with money in hand went forward, gave 7 dollars (50 kronors), and received the kitten to hold. The parents of the child stood behind, witnessing and being a part and quaranteers of this. Again, a symbolic and magical ritual...
Every of these adoption were lucky. He contacted the families a couple of years afterwards, so he knows...

And yes, some screening is always good.

And why these shelters dont want to help you? Because theyse kittens arent in dire need. They DO have a caretaker and responsible owner, they do have their advocate. They dont need no strangers to help out...

Tx a lot for helping this little sis of ours, and her children.

Hello cat people.
This is my first time posting, although I have been reading the forums for years.
3 weeks ago We took in a pregnant stray we had been feeding in the backyard the day she gave birth. She herself is quite young, I’m guessing around 7 months old and gave birth to 3 perfect kittens. We already have 6 cats in the house, so there is no possibility for keeping another 4. I’m sure you understand that would be just too much.
Here are some details about the mother, btw I call her Britney. She has a separate room with special wet food and litter box provided and her kittens are in a basket tucked away in a closet I emptied for them. Britney is not a worry, we are planning on keeping her and spaying her.
I need to find homes for the kittens, and I really need advice since The rescue centers aren’t helping, they themselves are telling me to go to the local shelter and when I called the shelter they weren’t helpful at all. They told me to put them up on Craigslist or Facebook and I don’t want to do that since we all know some people would sell the kitties to testing labs.
Any advice regarding finding good new homes would be appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you feel demanding payment is awkward, an easy way to go around it is to take return payment for spaying / neutering, deworming and such. Its no money at all for any serious adopters, because they know they would otherwise pay it themselves. But its of course a big no no for any villains, taking away any profit they can imagine.
What an EXCELLENT point to make! Have the kittens taken care of, asked for copies of the billing, and have them to show to potential adopters who then know what the money is for.