*Need advice* Senior cat has Oral cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Just returned from the vet and it was such a long wait I feel exhausted. Had to wait 2 hours for the vet because he was doing a surgery right before Momo was next in line on the waitlist. I had a long discussion with the vet and I got all the answers I needed which is great.

Momo got her weight checked and she only lost half a pound which is within a safe range (I assume she lost it from the past couple days) and she’s still in a good condition. The vet mentioned that the tumor is swelling but that’s inevitable and as long as Momo has an appetite she should be ok. We decided it’s best that we keep her on the prednisone since it seems to help her despite the side effects and we also increased the dosage of the gabapentin. If she has difficulty eating the best method is through a syringe by mouth which I have been doing the past couple days. For food, the vet suggested increasing the amount to keep her weight from dropping and he also gave us the Hill’s a/d urgent care canned food for higher calories. We will feed her 1/4 of the can along with the usual amount we give her so definitely more than 6 ounces of food per day. What’s most important is feeding small amount of higher calorie foods so she won’t have to consume too much in one day. I explained how I take care of Momo and he did say we are doing everything right and was glad that she is still with us. I also managed to get the vet’s personal number so that I can directly contact him from now on. :clap2:

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. It’s good to hear she is still eating ok and her pain meds are helping. With my cat with oral cancer, I was feeding him every 2 to 3 hours or whenever he asked for food. He would eat only 1 to 2 oz. at a time because his tumor was making it difficult to eat. He would take a break for a couple of hours and come back for a new flavor Pate or soup. I crushed his favorite dry food (Purina DM) and made it into a cream soup which he really liked. But once he started feeling pain while eating, he would not eat that flavor again.

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. It’s good to hear she is still eating ok and her pain meds are helping. With my cat with oral cancer, I was feeding him every 2 to 3 hours or whenever he asked for food. He would eat only 1 to 2 oz. at a time because his tumor was making it difficult to eat. He would take a break for a couple of hours and come back for a new flavor Pate or soup. I crushed his favorite dry food (Purina DM) and made it into a cream soup which he really liked. But once he started feeling pain while eating, he would not eat that flavor again.
That is pretty much how it is with Momo, she would come out every couple hours for food and water. Her preference would change every time with certain foods and I have to switch back and forth between 4 different kinds. I also crush dry food that she used to eat in water the same way as you did and sometimes she won’t eat it while other times that’s all she eats. I notice when she is in pain she will stop eating but come back and try again. It seems the steroid is keeping her appetite up but the pain is making it difficult to satiate her hunger. Hopefully with the new dosage she can go back to eating without feeling pain.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 11 yr old cat just had tooth resorption surgery Friday. Also on gabapentin also takes something for inflammation. Only food she hasn't thrown up yet is nulo minced turkey duck. And turkey salmon. Can get a good deal on chewy though first buy some cans to be sure she likes it. Online it's 48 pack!

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is pretty much how it is with Momo, she would come out every couple hours for food and water. Her preference would change every time with certain foods and I have to switch back and forth between 4 different kinds. I also crush dry food that she used to eat in water the same way as you did and sometimes she won’t eat it while other times that’s all she eats. I notice when she is in pain she will stop eating but come back and try again. It seems the steroid is keeping her appetite up but the pain is making it difficult to satiate her hunger. Hopefully with the new dosage she can go back to eating without feeling pain.
You are taking great care of her by making sure she is eating whenever she wants to. And most importantly your’re managing her pain. I had to let my big boy go because his tongue was paralyzed at the base from the tumor underneath. He couldn’t lick the food. It happened so fast, in the morning he was eating but few hours later only the tip of his tongue was working. I didn’t want him to be without food for more than 8 hours. He was very spoiled and ate every 3 hours, for 12 years of life.
Since Momo’s cancer is in the lower jaw she probably will be able to eat ok as long as she has her pain medication.
Hugs to both of you. I know it is very stressful time.

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are taking great care of her by making sure she is eating whenever she wants to. And most importantly your’re managing her pain. I had to let my big boy go because his tongue was paralyzed at the base from the tumor underneath. He couldn’t lick the food. It happened so fast, in the morning he was eating but few hours later only the tip of his tongue was working. I didn’t want him to be without food for more than 8 hours. He was very spoiled and ate every 3 hours, for 12 years of life.
Since Momo’s cancer is in the lower jaw she probably will be able to eat ok as long as she has her pain medication.
Hugs to both of you. I know it is very stressful time.
Thank you so much for helping me during this stressful time. It’s reassuring to know I can rely on people who went through the same situation as I am. It’s times like these that support and words of comfort make a big difference mentally and emotionally. Regardless what happens in the future I’m just grateful for what I have now with my last fur baby :hearthrob:

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Momo?
She is doing fine! The medication seems to work for her and she is eating like usual again. She does get loopy the first hour after giving the gabapentin but she is able to eat on her own again. The medication is given every 12 hours and she is able to eat without pain for maybe 8 hours before she starts to feel pain again. I notice she winces in pain after taking a few bites when it’s close to the next dosage, but it doesn’t stop her from continuing to eat. There is occasional blood in her mouth and she tends to dip her whole mouth in her water bowl, maybe the cool water helps with the pain. Otherwise, she is doing fine and her body is active as ever. I’m keeping track of her weight and making sure she’s eating enough.

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Momo has been losing weight recently. Couple days ago she started having struggles eating again. The medication helps with the pain only for a few hours and most of the time she is loopy and lethargic. She does have an appetite but the food stings her mouth so she can only take a few bites at a time. She’s not eating as much as she used to and I’ve tried giving her different foods that she used to like. She enjoys drinking milk and it doesn’t sting her mouth so she is able to eat a little more after drinking that. I’ve also boiled chicken breast and grind it with hot water and she eats some of that as well. Since she only takes little bites at a time she’s not eating a large amount overall. It’s difficult because every food stings her mouth unless it’s plain chicken or milk. There’s only so much I can force feed her through a syringe since half of it leaks out of her mouth. I’m mainly focusing on easing the pain in her mouth and giving her whatever she’s willing to eat and feed her the Hills urgent care food with a syringe. It’s not enough calories for her but at least she’s not on an empty stomach. She can drink water just fine on her own and she goes to the litter box as usual.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a long thread and I admittedly haven't read through it all. Have you considered a feeding tube?

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a long thread and I admittedly haven't read through it all. Have you considered a feeding tube?
The vet wouldn’t recommend a feeding tube especially if she’s still alert and conscious. They said the syringe by mouth is the best method.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That just isn’t true about the feeding tube. It’s called an esophagostromy tube and it is placed under anesthesia. The entire procedure takes a couple of minutes. The tube can stay in place indefinitely as long as it is clean and the bandages are changed frequently. This tube allows you to feed your cat enough food to not only sustain them but improve their condition.
You do need the veterinarian placing the tube to have allot of experience doing it.
This tube is often used in anorexic cats because you cannot syringe feed a cat enough food to sustain them. Plus it stresses out the cat and you run the risk of aspiration.

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. That just isn’t true about the feeding tube. It’s called an esophagostromy tube and it is placed under anesthesia. The entire procedure takes a couple of minutes. The tube can stay in place indefinitely as long as it is clean and the bandages are changed frequently. This tube allows you to feed your cat enough food to not only sustain them but improve their condition.
You do need the veterinarian placing the tube to have allot of experience doing it.
This tube is often used in anorexic cats because you cannot syringe feed a cat enough food to sustain them. Plus it stresses out the cat and you run the risk of aspiration.
I’ve asked the vet about the feeding tube and they didn’t recommend it but I assume that would be the last case scenario if I did plead with the vet about that. I just don’t know if that’s worth it for Momo to go under anesthesia at her age but if it gets really bad I’ll have to discuss the quality of life with the vet anyway…

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
assume that would be the last case scenario
This tube allows you to feed your cat enough food to not only sustain them but improve their condition.
Having the chance to improve her life is absolutely not last case scenario. Your cat is in real need of this, since as you described, food by mouth is painful for her.

Pleading with a vet who isn't listening states to me that you would be well served, as would your cat, to find a different vet in a different clinic altogether.

Find a cat friendly veterinary professional

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Momo has been losing weight recently. Couple days ago she started having struggles eating again. The medication helps with the pain only for a few hours and most of the time she is loopy and lethargic. She does have an appetite but the food stings her mouth so she can only take a few bites at a time. She’s not eating as much as she used to and I’ve tried giving her different foods that she used to like. She enjoys drinking milk and it doesn’t sting her mouth so she is able to eat a little more after drinking that. I’ve also boiled chicken breast and grind it with hot water and she eats some of that as well. Since she only takes little bites at a time she’s not eating a large amount overall. It’s difficult because every food stings her mouth unless it’s plain chicken or milk. There’s only so much I can force feed her through a syringe since half of it leaks out of her mouth. I’m mainly focusing on easing the pain in her mouth and giving her whatever she’s willing to eat and feed her the Hills urgent care food with a syringe. It’s not enough calories for her but at least she’s not on an empty stomach. She can drink water just fine on her own and she goes to the litter box as usual.
I’m sorry she is having so much pain. Although every case is different, my experience was my cat was eating ok and suddenly oral SCC became really aggressive (towards the end) within matter of 2 days. Is her breath smelling ok? My cat got a painful infection from the dead tissue caused by the tumor and needed antibiotics. Maybe call her vet to see if she can see Momo right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.