*Need advice* Senior cat has Oral cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Final update: We put Momo to rest on Sunday afternoon. The past few days we have all been mourning and it took me a while to finally write this. On that day I did not get any sleep and stayed awake knowing this would be the last time I can be with Momo. I took care of her as usual and fed her all her favorite treats. We didn’t want to alarm her so we acted the same as any other day. As the time drew closer, we dreaded the thought of taking her in the car. Our hearts were very heavy, but we knew this had to be the best decision. We washed her down so that she can be nice and clean til the very end and I brushed her fur like I always did one last time. About 3 hours before going to the vet, Momo started walking around the house. She was sitting in one spot the entire day, but suddenly had a burst of energy and she walked back and forth into every room in the house. She would sniff around and walk towards every area she could go. It was so sudden that it felt weird to me, but then Momo started purring which surprised us because she usually doesn’t purr that often. It almost seemed like she knew what was about to happen and was checking the house one last time. We all pet her and kept reassuring her that we love her and that she can rest easy. That amplified the purring and it seemed like she was listening and understanding us. We started crying really hard because it seemed like she responded to our love and we all agreed that she should no longer be in pain for our sake. Right before it was time to take her, she went into her favorite spot in the closet and stayed there until it was time. She stopped going to that closet for weeks, but she went in for those last few minutes.

The trip to the vet was….surreal. Momo wasn’t scared and remained calm the whole way when usually she gets nervous. My dad took it really hard that he cried the entire way there. He couldn’t stop crying so he stayed in the car since he couldn’t handle seeing Momo be put to sleep. My mom and I took her in and the whole time we kept telling her that we will always be with her and that she will always have a home to come back to. We tried not to show our sadness to her and kept calling her name. She hid under the blankets for a while at the hospital but when my mom called out to her, Momo held her head up high and she looked so strong and sharp. It was the last time we properly saw her face. All the nurses and the vet that came in were teary eyed and some were crying for us which was so unexpected and made my mom cry on the spot. It’s amazing how many people cried for Momo. The vet was really kind and it was a quick and quiet process putting her to sleep. There were two shots that were given, one to sedate her and one to stop her heart. We were all quiet while the vet administered the shots and the entire time I kept petting her fur until she finally passed. The vet gave us a hug and gave us a few moments to say goodbye before he took care of Momo’s body. I gave her one last kiss on the forehead like I did a million times before. We even left her favorite treat with her in the blankets. It was the most peaceful ending for Momo and I cried my heart out on the car ride home. My mom cleared out all the stuff that reminded us of her and now the house feels empty without a pet. Even though we are sad now, we don’t regret letting Momo go and it was the best way to say goodbye knowing she was happy with us.
She did her best to fight til the very end and I’m proud of her for being strong despite having to deal with so much pain. We spent that night lighting candles for her and making space for her to come back home next to our other pets that passed. Time will heal our grief, but I will miss having a fur baby in the house. We don’t have any plans to get a new pet since the pain is too much.

Momo gave us a great gift that we will forever cherish and remember for the rest of our lives. The past few months have been a new experience and I hope that my story will help other pet owners. Thank you to everyone that helped us along the way and I’m sure Momo is grateful to have amazing pet owners like you guys to help her family. She can now rest peacefully :angelcat::hearthrob:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am in tears, too. While I am so sorry for your loss, that is the most beautiful account and tribute to Momo. She understood how much you all loved her and how you were helping her on the final part of her journey.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cried reading about Momo‘s last day. It was very similar to my own experience of losing my cat to oral cancer.
The last day purring and walking around from room to room. And the drive to the vet’s office. Momo was so lucky to have such a wonderful family. Her spirit will always be by your side. :hugs:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can now rest peacefully
Thank you SO MUCH for describing the process in such detail.

My cat has lymphoma, and I'm dealing with treatment (currently going well), but I know the end is going to come some day. I am honestly terrified of it. Like I didn't know what to expect, in terms of the actual process, how I might react to each step, etc.

I was wanting to make a post asking for someone to explain exactly how the medical procedure of euthanization works, and what I should expect. I would rather know what to expect ahead of time than to be totally in the dark. But I was having a hard time even gaining the courage to post the question.

I'm a huge believer in trying to make the experience of loss help someone else, and whether you knew it or not, you've already done that for me. Thank you.

Your explanation has helped me already. Although it made me cry, I will be better prepared now when I have to go through this.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To add to what I said above... what I fear the most is the final trip to the vet and my cat's experience with it. The thing I am terrified about the most is not that I will be unable to deal with it, myself, and not that my vet won't do a very professional job and minimize discomfort... it's my fear about my ability to comfort him in the last moments.

Making sure he's calm leading up to it, comforting him, dealing with him if he gets scared, etc. That's honestly what truly worries me. I have a fear about what he will experience in his last moments, and having regret over it if it doesn't go well.

I don't know if you can comment on this part further? If you don't feel comfortable or ready, I'd totally understand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To add to what I said above... what I fear the most is the final trip to the vet and my cat's experience with it. The thing I am terrified about the most is not that I will be unable to deal with it, myself, and not that my vet won't do a very professional job and minimize discomfort... it's my fear about my ability to comfort him in the last moments.

Making sure he's calm leading up to it, comforting him, dealing with him if he gets scared, etc. That's honestly what truly worries me. I have a fear about what he will experience in his last moments, and having regret over it if it doesn't go well.

I don't know if you can comment on this part further? If you don't feel comfortable or ready, I'd totally understand.
Hello,
Thank you so much for telling me my story helped you. I feel happy to know that Momo’s experience brought some help to other cat owners :redheartpump: I’m not sure how nervous your cat gets during vets, but for my cat she would stay calm so long as she was hidden under the blankets in her kennel. Not letting her see what’s going on outside prevents her from panicking and meowing. I also pet her gently under the blankets to let her know that I’m here with her. Trying not to show her how nervous or sad I am by calling her name as usual or saying phrases that I would always say back at home. It may be tough to do when your emotions feel like it’s about to burst, but I tried my best to hold it in for her sake. It was the last thing I can do for her as her owner. I wanted to protect her to the very end and let her see me with a smile rather than tears. I hope that you will spend time loving your cat to the fullest so that you won’t feel any regret. I’m glad I had the chance to spoil my cat like never before. It left me without regrets and I’m happy I saw Momo look content on the final day. Enjoy everyday that you have with him for now, your emotions will change overtime as the weeks progress. I also had major anxiety at the beginning thinking about how and when to go through with euthanizing. Sending support for you and your cat:vibes::hearthrob:

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wanting to make a post asking for someone to explain exactly how the medical procedure of euthanization works, and what I should expect. I would rather know what to expect ahead of time than to be totally in the dark. But I was having a hard time even gaining the courage to post the question.
There are two injections. The first one is a sedative. The second one sends the cat across the bridge.

If the cat is struggling and afraid the sedative will knock it out. Very quickly. Once the animal is sedated and motionless, the second shot is administered. It doesn't take very long for the 2nd shot to do its job. After administering the second shot the vet will put a stethoscope on the cat's chest and verify it has passed. Don't be surprised if the cats eyes are wide open when it passes. Sammie passed with a horrific death grimace and I just kind of smushed his kitty face into a less grim expression. The vet will ask if you want some time alone with the animal. You can take you cat for home burial or leave it with the vet to be sent off for cremation. You can arrange for the cat to be disposed of in a private cremation or a group cremation. Private is more costly.

There are videos on youtube.

It's not the most fun experience but by the time comes you will be ready. There may be vets in your area that offer services that come to you house and do it. I recommend that. No more last scary trip to the vet for the cat. The cat gets to pass in a familiar environment.

Depends on how sick the cat is at the time of euthanasia. From what I've seen most cats are too tired and weak to struggle. Sammie put up a struggle and panicked but the sedative did its job.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It won't let me edit my prior post to include pictures and additional information.

When the time came, I opted to have Sammie euthanized at home on the back of the couch on his green blanket, one of his favorite daytime sleeping spots.

Sammie resting on his green blanket in better days.
PXL_20211225_010931085.MP.jpg

You might notice the blanket missing in the second picture. That's because after he passed he was wrapped in the green blanket and taken for creamation.
PXL_20230605_174607562.jpg

Rest in peace Sammie.
PXL_20230608_202203335.jpg

But from death came a fighting chance for life. I wouldn't have been able to rescue these two if he hadn't passed.
PXL_20230605_165552084.jpg

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. Once again, I am so sorry for your loss of Momo. You clearly gave him an incredible life. If you would like to post a tribute to Momo on any aspect of his life, you are welcome to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.