need advice re: fleas and deworming

dawnie42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought in a stray three weeks ago.  Her story is here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/277917/introducing-a-stray-semi-feral-to-a-indoor-cats-household

I put Frontline Plus on her a week before I brought her home.  I assumed that had taken care of any fleas and eggs so I didn't treat my two indoor cats.  I've never had a flea problem in the house.  But yesterday a flea jumped on me!  So they have gotten in somehow.  I immediately went out and got some generic Frontline (Pet Armour) and dosed Remy and Will.  I didn't realize until I got home and read the instructions that this brand will not kill the eggs.  I plan to vacuum the house and wash all bedding (mine and theirs) tonight hoping to get as many eggs as I can.  I know I'll have to keep this up for a while.  I've been researching some foggers and sprays.  Will those help?

My main question is, should I deworm Remy and Will now?  I have some tablets left from my initial attempt to deworm Summer (which failed and she was then dewormed by the vet).  Thanks for any advice you have.  You guys have been awesome helping me with introducing Summer to my home.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
If they've all been treated for fleas, I think it would be safe to de-worm them.

I don't have any experience with foggers, but for cleaning to get rid of fleas, quite a few members have found that buying a cheap flea collar, then cutting it up and putting it in the vacuum bag will help make sure they don't survive your cleaning. The collars are bad for cats, but the work well in vacuums.

I've always used Revolution on my guys - it does fleas, eggs and any that might be in the house.

Hopefully some of our other members have some experience with foggers and sprays, though and will be able to offer some suggestions.

Good Luck! Fleas can be a pain.

Last edited: