Need Advice On Whether To Keep A Stray Or Not - With Existing Cat In House

caraniente

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We've had our cat Linon, a 2yr old rescue kitty, 9 months. When she came to us she was a scaredy-cat, didn't come out of her starting room for a month, we didn't even see anything more than eyes in an igloo for the first fortnight! Now she is affectionate and will come to us and miaow for pets, but she's still what I would call nervous - she doesn't like us to walk past her when she's lay in the middle of the floor and will run away, she still spends about as much time under furniture as on it, and she gets very twitchy if you touch her with 2 hands at once. She loves company though, and likes to be near us - as soon as we sit on the sofa she'll appear and sit next to us, she'll sleep in the lounge in the day and upstairs in the spare room when we go to bed, etc.

The last month we've been taking care of a stray cat in the neighbourhood, to the point he has practically moved in, although we don't let him in the house and our existing kitty doesn't go outside. I've been trying to get a shelter to take him but they're all so full. He's an un-neutered male, incredibly friendly, just wants to sit on your lap all the time. No idea how old he is. We're now thinking maybe we should just keep him ourselves, since we love him (and he seems to love us) and the weather is starting to get bad.

Obviously we need to get our stray boy checked for any diseases he could pass on to our existing kitty, and also he'd have to be neutered before we could even think of introductions, which we would do very slowly and making sure our existing kitty still feels like the Queen of the Castle. My concern is more for our existing kitty, who is of course our first priority - since she is nervous, I don't know if introducing another cat would be good or bad for her. She seems to want affection a lot, and she was originally brought into the shelter with in a group with other cats, so I know she has been friendly with other kitties before - we also work long hours, so she might well benefit from having another cat around for company. On the other hand, I just feel like it might be a bit too early for her and I want to see her grow not revert to hiding under the sofa all day, especially since our stray is very confident.

Normally I would wait a few more months to see how she is before even thinking of getting another cat (and getting her more used to going outside etc especially before getting an outdoor cat!) but this stray seems to have chosen us and I want to help him... but I want to do what is best for both cats. Can anybody offer some advice? I've been going round and round on this in my head for days...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think you can work this out and be able to bring the outside kitty in - bless your heart!
Along with the suggestions in the articles below, try some music - there's the app Relax My Cat, or kusc.org. Music really works to help calm a kitty and could be good for Linon, plus there are a lot of other calming products on the market in addition to feliway. Be aware that there are fake feliway products too - oddly enough a "fake" feliway product worked better for my boy LOL

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caraniente

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice! I hadn't seen the jealousy article before either, really useful.

We took our stray to the vet last night and he went absolutely crazy once he finished eating and realised he couldn't get out... They had to sedate him to get a look. He's now been tested, neutered, antibiotic-ed (secondary infection on top of cat flu) and depending on the results of his tests, may be vaccinated before we pick him up... Figured if he was going to be so traumatised we might as well splash out and get everything done at once.

So far our inside kitty hasn't batted an eyelid about his presence, which I'm hoping is a good sign... We're going to have to keep him inside for the 1st time while he recovers for a couple of days, so she may actually notice him once he starts scritching at his quarantine room door to get out...

Over to the stray/feral forum for me to get tips I think! The vet says he's an older cat, so maybe since he's old and lazy our little Madam will just be able to boss him about...

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he was outside, could your inside cat see and hear him? Was there any reaction? I had two stray black cats that started showing up each evening in my yard. They eventually came right up to my sliding glass doors. Alex and Tyler were interested but never reacted to them. Long story, but one of them is now living with me. They are all under two years so that probably helped too. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caraniente

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She saw him through the windows a few times and would seem very alert - definitely keeping her eyes on him - but never more than that. On the other hand, she generally only saw him from an upstairs window as our house has nothing useful on the ground floor, so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Usually she'd be glowering at us from the upstairs window while we were outside with him like some kind of silhouetted psycho killer, but she never reacted badly when we came in (I always wash hands etc to avoid passing anything onto her)