Need advice on taking in a outdoor cat!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jenann,

Giving medicine is never easy. I can totally understand that you are nervous.

I will pray for him also that his tail heals. That is the most important first step.

Based on their experience the kids would think like that. but as long as the cat can escape things should go well.

Based on what you have written I am guessing he isn't a true feral.  I am guessing it was someone's cat and he got out, was let out, or something.  

It will get better in time. Let's hope his infection gets cleared. That is the most important thing right now. Once he is cured he will come around, just keep loving him and I think things are going to work out well. 

Good luck and keep up the great work. I can tell you love him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it's even hard to get the ear medicine in him. He jumps back or smells it. What does it mean when they lift their butts up? He will come by me then lift his butt up. Or do it randomly. And what does it mean when they thump tail when they are laying down?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jenann,

Oh yeah, it is very hard to give medicine. It is easiest when it can be mixed in the food but not all medicines can be sadly. Hopefully he can stay still long enough to get the ear medicine in. I sympathize with you, I know it is tough but he needs it.

Lifts his butt up? How does the back move? Up or does it compress? Do his shoulders go lower? I am trying to picture exactly what he is doing. Does he rub on you when he walks by and lifts his butt up?

Is the tail thumping rapid, powerful and back and forth multiple times? The more rapid and powerful and often the more excited they are and it is best to let them calm down a bit. They are not like dogs. When their tail is moving slowly then they are more content.

jenann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will walk by and kinda put his back up like that Halloween cat picture. Then he will kinda rub on my leg but he seems more like he wants to come to us but is too weary. He waits for us to pet him. He will only get so close. Then he will put his butt/back up and his top half is on the ground. I can't explain it. It's like if he's on the ground he will randomly put his back up then lay back down. As for the tail since there's only a few inches there I can't really tell any signs besides he will be laying down as I'm petting him and then he will all the sudden his tail will start thumbing the carpet. I kinda just stop petting him when he does that but he still looks like he wants to be pet and if we do happen to try to pet him he still rolls his head around to be pet. Dogs are soooo much easier haha!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jenann,

I would like to hear what others think but given what you are describing it sounds like it might be a couple of things. Sometimes it can be a defensive posture and when combined with hissing it is a warning to other cats or humans (from what I have seen) to stay away. It sounds like you are describing something a little bit different though given he then rubs on your leg. It also could be due to his tail and the feeling he may be getting from that or it could be a type of stretch or even possibly that a nerve in his back might trigger that physical response.

You then mention that he then puts his butt and back up but his top half goes to the ground. That seems like a stretching. Does he do this somewhat slowly? Does it look like a stretch with the front legs being extended. It could again be a response to a feeling in his tail especially given some of the trauma he has experienced.

One of my cats loves being pet and loves when I start at her head and go down her back and then put my pointer finger and thumb into a circle and encircle her tail and go down her tail from her butt to the end. She loves it and does that butt up in the air and then once my hand releases past her tail she then puts it down again. I think it is probably the nerves in the back or in the tail possibly. So I pretty much can picture that and my girl does that all the time.

If his tail is moving pretty quickly I think it is wise to stop petting at that point. He might be just enjoying the petting and be getting more excited but sometimes they can get a little too excited and get a bit more wild. My guess is in your instance he probably is just enjoying the petting. But it is best to be cautious until you can see how he reacts over time.

You mention he then that "if you do happen to try to pet him he still rolls his head around to be pet". I am not exactly sure how he is rolling his head, is it going upside down? He probably wants to either get your hand to rub his head or rub his head on your hand and get his scent on you. He seems to enjoy the petting. 

Judging by how you are describing things it sounds like everything is ok and normal. If he was aggressive or not liking things you would know it. I am wondering if some of this might be because of what happened to his tail. I am glad you are taking it slow though and being cautious, sensible. Just go slowly and let him expand the barriers. It sounds like he wants to. I am guessing he will be rubbing on you consistently very soon.

Dogs are easier, cats are very unique. But they are very sweet. 

jenann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's kinda like a stretch but not a stretch. When the vet took him out of the carrier and put him on the table he put his butt up as the vet was petting his head and the vet said "oh you like that" so I assumed the butt thing was a good thing. He does do it often and I never saw my other cats do it or I just never noticed. I think some things may be cause of his tail. The cat I used to have loved being pet and would do the same head roll. I guess what I mean by that is he butts my head like nudges it to be pet then puts his head down like to pet the top (I think) then will lean into my hand and fall into his side. Then just lay their and purr. Then the tail will start soon after and that's when I stop petting him.

Overall I don't think he would of tolerated most things if he was mean so that gives me hope. I watched the vet handle him, touch his tail etc and he didn't do anything but squirm a little. He allowed my sister to pick him up for a few seconds so I could squirt medicine in his mouth. But like I've said I'm just nervous of him too!! Like before I went in the room and I pet him but soon as I moved my leg he jumped. Sooo I guess that's just wear it's gonna take time. I wish I knew his past.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jenann,

Given your vet viewed the "butt up" position as a positive I would take his word for it. My cat does something similar and she is reacting positively to the touch. Your guy likes his head being pet. They tend to like it above their eyes, sometimes between the eyes and the forehead and then the back of the neck. When they put their chin down when you are rubbing the back of their neck that means they are lovin' it. And the cats like their checks, under the jawbone rubbed. Each cat likes it a little different. But they tend to like the scent glands.

Ahhhhh, the head butt. That is a wonderful sign. A sign of affection. He must really like being pet right at the top of the neck by the head given he then falls to his side. I have cats that react the same way. They are just melting in your hands. It sounds like the tail movement is a contentment, happy movement. The purring is a great sign of happiness.

Being on the streets cats have to be skittish to survive. They are prey for some animals and other cats can be aggressive as they are territorial etc. To survive they have to be ready to move at the slightest movement. This si totally normal for a cat that was on the streets.

It sure sounds to me like he loves you and that things are going well. I understand you are nervous at times but his behavior sure seems positive and there are many good signs. A lot of ferals will not allow to be picked up or pet. Cats can sense fear or nervousness and that could lead to some skittishness. I am getting a sense he is a sweet cat and is loving where he is right now.

I hear you on the past but it sure seems to me like he knows people and pretty much trusts people in general. I think if you keep up what you are doing he is going to come around. I have been around ferals and this behavior sounds like a cat that was with a family and then let out or got out or was taken care of by someone. I think you all are in a good place. Just keep up the great work.  

jenann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I really appriciate it all!! He does seem like he was used to people in some way and must of been someone's pet and got out or was left and just had to survive outside for way too long. The second I saw him on my deck I opened the door, he started to run away and I said "no come back come here I have food" and he turned around and came back. Then ate and left. When I saw him again same thing happened and one time I decided to pet him as he was eating he let me with no problem. At that moment I knew he was friendly. I got out the cat carrier and put food in it he walked right in and I shut the door. He did freak out once in there but after being free for God know how long that is expected. But he calmed down at vet and has been ok since. He hissed one time at my sister and nipped me. But I know this is all knew for him and he needs to learn to trust us!! I just hope this all really does go well!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome. I know the cat really appreciates what you are doing for him. 

It is normal to freak out in a carrier, they have no idea what might now happen. 

The one hiss to your sister probably wasn't much. Maybe she moved too quickly or towards him and it is like us saying "hey, wait a minute". I had a feral a few years ago that would hiss at me everytime and then rub against me and then eat and eat chicken out of my hand. Now hissing can be a serious warning about what might come if you don't back off but it just depends on the cat and how much fear there might be. If a cat is trapped and feels threatened and they hiss and then you "go after them" then they very well could bite. Best to just back off and let the cat calm down.

It sounds to me like he already does trust you. You are well along the path judging by what I have read. It seems to me like he is a pretty trusting cat that belonged to someone before and you are doing all the right things to build that trust and love.  

My concern is not really if he is going to be a good family member but I am most worried about his tail and his blood and the infection and his taking the medicine. I hope he can clear everything and become a member of the family.

Keep up the great work!!

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat still hisses at me when I pick her up on cleaning day to move her to another room