Need advice on new feral/stray cat

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take a stool sample into the vet to check to see what he has? That should be easy enough to drop off. Then I too would think something oral would be better.

As for eating in the carrier: I found normal cat carriers to be way too small. I used a soft sided carrier that worked so very well. Here is what I used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047QDRYE/?tag=thecatsite

Also as far as petting him, have you tried playing with a feather wand toy and then trying to pet him with it? I find it's best to get the cat interested in the feather and then when their back end is facing you, gently touch the feather to the body.

I have made a homemade "pet petter". Basically take an old wand toy or even a dowel rod. Cover the end with an old sock. I just used duct tape to secure it. Then add a layer of soft flannel. An added tip is to spray the end with catnip spray or rub some catnip into the end. Here is a picture of me using it with one of my former feral cats. This cat was so feral, that he hid under my deck for 6 months only coming out to eat. I finally trapped him after 6 months. Yet he was so freaked out that he left for 8 months before coming back. He is now living inside the house and is so happy. Still freaked by visitors, but I can pick him up and he loves to sit on my lap!

Here is the pet petter

Remember that food is your best friend if he is food motivated. Try plain cooked chicken, canned tuna in water, canned salmon ( low salt), Churu lickables, Gerber stage 2 turkey or chicken baby food or really stinky canned food. Every time you enter the room to visit, I would bring something yummy. Sit on the floor (never loom over him) and talk quietly to him. I used to just sit in the room and talk. I would toss something yummy and each time bring the food reward a bit closer to me. Also watch direct eye contact. Keep your gaze low or above his head.

Hopefully progress will continue.

Attachments

EnelradSedir70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to find bailey (new cat’s name) in the bedroom. We’re starting to think this could be a smaller boy. We smell a strong smell of urine. He probably needs to be fixed but we are having such a hard time trying to get him in a carrier to take him to the vet. He is such a super jumper that even a tall gate isn’t enough to contain him—we put cardboard above the gate and he manages to tear that down too.

Last night I had to shut the bedroom door but I kept hearing crashing noises and I would go in the bedroom and I think he’s jumping against the windows. He’s also knocking everything down near the windows. I feel bad that he’s not going to be happy living here. I’m hoping this will get better once we can have him fixed but I just don’t know how soon this will happen and what do I do in the meantime. Plus our other feral boy cat keeps growling at this cat.

Thanks for any additional ideas and help you can give me.
I recommend getting a large dog kennel like 4x5 and keeping him in there for a week or so in the room. Put in a small cubby type hiding place and a litter box. He might hurt himself thrashing about the room. Then, get him fixed and see what changes.