Need advice on new feral/stray cat

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really can use some advice. This is a bit long. We currently have two girl cats and one feral male cat we took in a few years ago. About a month ago, we started seeing a cat show up that would eat the dry food I leave it out. I think this cat is young and could be a girl but I’m not positive. She showed up a few times and then didn’t come around for a few weeks. Then this last week she started showing up again. She eats a lot of food—I have dry food out on the deck plus I give her canned food. She eat a lot of canned food and will continue to cry for more—that one day I gave her over a can and I was worried that would make her sick. Seeing her eat so much made me think that she doesn’t belong to someone but I don’t know that for sure. What worries me is when I see her come over or leave, she goes across the street and I’m worried she’ll get hit by a car.

So yesterday, I held the door open and gradually pushed the food dish further and further in our house. She actually got all the way in and I shut the door. She panicked but then started looking around and hid under a shelf. We blocked her in the kitchen so she would be away from the other cats. She mostly stayed hidden until I turned the kitchen lights out and then she came out to eat. But last night after we went to bed, I heard a bunch of noise and went to look, and here she jumped on top of the gate and went over. so now she’s in the rest of the house. Our house is small but still many places to hide.

It’s odd that the girls don’t seem to be that bothered as of yet but the boy feral cat keeps growling at her and this kept up overnight. Now today I can’t find where the new cat is hiding and the feral is sleeping right now. I was hoping he would lead me to her.

I don’t think the new cat used either litter box yet. She did eat food when she was blocked in the kitchen but I have no idea how to feed her today. I don’t know where she is and if I just leave food out, the others will eat it. I’m also worried if this is a female, could she have kittens? I want to bring her to the vet but not knowing where she’s hiding is causing a problem. Should we tear the house apart looking for her or wait it out?

I can really use some advice. I was trying to help this cat out but am I just making things worse? I’m worried if she could have kittens, how long can they go without her. I would feel better if a vet could check her as soon as possible but I’m at a loss right now.

Thanks for any advice.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 4 inside girls and slowly brought in a feral female I had been taming outside. I had done TNR on her as a kitten and knew she had had vaccines. It sounds as if the new cat may have worms if she’s eating like that. I made darn sure to keep those cats separated as I started bringing the new one in. Eventually we were able to take down the multiple gates we had keeping them separated but at least being all females when there was a fuss up, no one really got hurt. In your instance with a male already in the house I would be very concerned. If it were me, I would do everything I can to find that cat and get her well blocked off from the others. As much to protect your cats from any diseases she may have as to protect her from your cats defending their territory. They can squeeze into hiding places you wouldn’t believe, so you must look everywhere.

The strangest place I ever found one of my cats was inside the pullout sofa. She got under the sofa and climbed up the side of the mattress so that if you were sitting on the couch she was behind your shoulders, but inside the couch. Now, I couldn’t open it to get her out of there or you could really hurt her, so I was just happy to know where she was. Finally my cat got so fat she couldn’t squeeze under there any more but at least I knew that‘s where she was. I could stick my hand up there and feel her... lol. Check inside closets, even if the doors seem closed. I’ve always been amazed at what my cats were able to open, sliding doors, bifold doors... Look everywhere. Watch the male, he may help you find her but will go after her too so be careful. Good luck, let us know.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to try to help this cat and it all may work out in the end. Yes, it is imperative that you find her for the first thing. Even if you cannot touch her, you might be able to secure her area or keep her confined in some way. Cats do go into the strangest places so you really have to look and keep in mind that she knows where you are so she might be quietly moving from one place to another as she watches you look for her. I once found a rogue feral kitten under a bathroom sink between the sink and the cabinet underneath. No clue that opening was even there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to find bailey (new cat’s name) in the bedroom. We’re starting to think this could be a smaller boy. We smell a strong smell of urine. He probably needs to be fixed but we are having such a hard time trying to get him in a carrier to take him to the vet. He is such a super jumper that even a tall gate isn’t enough to contain him—we put cardboard above the gate and he manages to tear that down too.

Last night I had to shut the bedroom door but I kept hearing crashing noises and I would go in the bedroom and I think he’s jumping against the windows. He’s also knocking everything down near the windows. I feel bad that he’s not going to be happy living here. I’m hoping this will get better once we can have him fixed but I just don’t know how soon this will happen and what do I do in the meantime. Plus our other feral boy cat keeps growling at this cat.

Thanks for any additional ideas and help you can give me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would start to feed him in a carrier. That will get him used to going inside. I brought a feral cat inside years ago. I could not handle him and he needed to get to the vet for vaccines before I allowed him contact with my other cat. I had already had him neutered years before. I bought a larger carrier ( for small to medium dog) and started feeding him just outside the carrier, then a bit more inside each day. I would sit by the carrier too so he was used to me being close. After a week I had him fully inside the carrier. I made the vet appointment and the morning of the appointment, I put just a small dab of food into the bowl. Once he was inside, I used a large sturdy cushion to block the entrance and I zipped him up. I quickly covered the carrier with a towel.

If you have a vet, you could also ask for gabapentin. It makes a cat very drowsy and able to be handled. I have used it on a few of my former ferals. You just need to be sure he is inside and in a contained space. It makes the cat drunk like so you don't want him getting injured. It takes my feral cats 2 doses. One the night before and another a few hours before the apppointment.

You can also try to use a mobile vet. I have done that too. Just be sure they are able to handle feral cats. The mobile vet might be able to do some blood work for FIV and FELV as well as vaccines. They might also then take the cat back to a facility for neuter.

The sooner the neuter the better. He will yowl and howl and do whatever necessary to escape.

I have used a tall shelving unit as a barrier. You can buy 12' wire shelving at Home Depot and zip tie together for a nice barrier. Since he is a climber you will want to be sure it comes all the way up to the door frame. Here is a link
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you all so much for the helpful information. All these ideas are so helpful. I like the idea of having the shelving go all the way up to the top of the door frame. I'll see if my husband can help me with this. i'm working on moving some things out of the room today in case he gets too wild again tonight. he's been awake now that i'm hoping he'll be more sleepy tonight. i'll see how that goes with the carrier and if that doesn't work, we'll ask the vet for the medication. i really would like to get him to the vet as soon as possible.

thank you all again and i'll post how things are going.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
unfortunately that wouldn't work. our house is small and we just have one small bathroom. that would be pretty hard for us but thanks for the suggestion. We'll see how this goes with the gate made out of wire shelves. my husband went to buy some. i hope this can work out so we don't have to have the door closed--that seems to bother Bailey more.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have brought in ferals who threw themselves against the door or windows and they did eventually calm down once they realized that they were not in mortal danger. It can be pretty dramatic in the beginning though.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saying that. it is upsetting to see that and then i wonder if i'm doing the right thing keeping him or her (still not sure which one it is) in the house. I hope tonight will go better. This afternoon Bailey is laying on a towel i have on a shelf so he or she is looking more comfortable. It's nice that he doesn't mind when i sit in the room with him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya, i'm really surprised how good Bailey is doing compared to the other feral we brought in a few years back. Bailey is going part way inside the carrier for food so there's hope we might be able to get him in there. We brought a stool sample to the vet yesterday and they called today to say he has roundworm so we'll need to get him in as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if he went in the litter box for our other cats that first night we couldn't find him. how bad of a problem is this if he did use the box? Will i need to steam clean everything? He's staying in the room i have my computer in and there's boxes of stuff back here (kind of a junk room) so now i'm wondering how contaminated everything will be or is this not as bad as i'm thinking? just curious how others handled this when their cats had roundworm? can people actually get this from the cats?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you should call the vet and ask to pick up roundworm treatment, or for recommendations on which OTC products you could buy. Also ask the vet about treating your other cats as well, given you suspect this cat might have used their litterbox(es). I realize this cat hasn't been to see a vet, but I can't imagine the vet wouldn't think he should be treated for the roundworms ASAP.

Here are a couple of articles about roundworms to help you understand what you are dealing with.
How to Treat Roundworms in Cats (thesprucepets.com)
Roundworms in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information about roundworm. The vet is gone for the rest of the weekend so I'll try calling right away on Monday.

Thank you everyone!

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well this didn’t work out at all. Bailey had an appt set up for the vet this morning to get his checkup and worm medicine and shots so I tried putting the gabapentin in his food and he must’ve tasted it or smelled it and wouldn’t eat it. I tried in tuna and different foods and he or she won’t touch it. He won’t eat anything now and was back to hiding under the shelf. So we tried moving stuff in the room thinking we could try and catch him in a blanket and that really freaked him out so he's hiding in a new spot and doesn't look happy. he was doing so well yesterday playing and going in the carrier (most of the way but his butt was hanging out) to eat but yet was skiddish that I wasn’t sure if I could shut the door so I thought the gaba medicine might help. They said we could try a humane trap but I just don’t see anything working today since he’s so freaked out and doesn’t trust me at all.

The vet wants to check him before giving us the roundworm medicine so this is really a mess. They won’t be able to fix him or her until april and we still aren’t sure if this is a girl or boy. I’m just hoping this isn’t a girl that had kittens.

I really wanted to get him to the vet so we can try and move him out of this room soon. If anyone has more ideas that might work, I really could use some help. or maybe we'll just need to wait longer to bring him or her. I think i need to build that trust again but this is feeling really hopeless today.

Thanks!

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he used to being near you at all... when you go in is he calm? Was Thinking, put the carrier in the room and make it cozy with a blanket inside and covered on top. Maybe he’ll start to hang out in it and you can just waok in and every time You go in the room put a treat in the carrier... every time, several times, then when the appt comes put the treat in and close the cage door.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well this didn’t work out at all. Bailey had an appt set up for the vet this morning to get his checkup and worm medicine and shots so I tried putting the gabapentin in his food and he must’ve tasted it or smelled it and wouldn’t eat it. I tried in tuna and different foods and he or she won’t touch it. He won’t eat anything now and was back to hiding under the shelf. So we tried moving stuff in the room thinking we could try and catch him in a blanket and that really freaked him out so he's hiding in a new spot and doesn't look happy. he was doing so well yesterday playing and going in the carrier (most of the way but his butt was hanging out) to eat but yet was skiddish that I wasn’t sure if I could shut the door so I thought the gaba medicine might help. They said we could try a humane trap but I just don’t see anything working today since he’s so freaked out and doesn’t trust me at all.

The vet wants to check him before giving us the roundworm medicine so this is really a mess. They won’t be able to fix him or her until april and we still aren’t sure if this is a girl or boy. I’m just hoping this isn’t a girl that had kittens.

I really wanted to get him to the vet so we can try and move him out of this room soon. If anyone has more ideas that might work, I really could use some help. or maybe we'll just need to wait longer to bring him or her. I think i need to build that trust again but this is feeling really hopeless today.

Thanks!
I feel for you. Went through the same thing today with a new cat I just adopted. She’s 4 and a little on the stray/feral side. I’ve been struggling with her with diarrhea and no sooner get it under control and she has the rice show up in her stool. So called the vet, who had never seen her yet and would not give me meds unless I brought her in. Stressed both of us out but she’s gotten her Profender and will feel better soon.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep feeding him in the carrier. The gabapentin is really nasty tasting. You need to wrap it up in a piece of chicken, a pill pocket or cheese. I would start by giving him small pieces of chicken or cheese or pill pocket that look like you have something wrapped in it. That way he gets used to the idea of a special something and may be more inclined to take it. Do not empty the capsule.

ALso I wouldn't mix it into food. Give it as you would a treat. I often give a small pile of 4-5 treats with the gabapentin (treat) mixed into the pile.

Keep working with him. If you act freaked out, he will too. Just stay calm and continue working with him.

Do you have a Feliway diffuser? I find they really help to keep cats more balanced and calm.

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and all the help. Bailey is doing better but overnight he was back to how he was the first night and constantly meowing all night and banging against the windows. he seems okay now but we'll see how it goes. i haven't actually petted him yet but sometimes i can get close to him to feed him but i'm worried about trying to pet him yet.

It was actually going well with him eating in the carrier but his back end hung out and every time i got close to the carrier, he would fly back out. I'm going to keep working with him and maybe get a larger carrier so he goes in further. I think i'll just try that for now before i give the gaba medicine a try again. but when i do try it, i'll be sure to try the ideas mentioned.

i do have a feliway diffuser for multi cats plugged in the bathroom next door to Bailey's room. I'm hoping that will help soon.

the vet did end up letting us pick up the worm medicine today. but i will need to be able to pet him in order to put it on his back so this might take a few days. If i'm unable to pet him, we'll have to get him in to the vet as soon as possible so they can give him the worm medicine.

thank you again, everyone!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am surprised under the circumstances the vet didn't prescribe an oral wormer, or they could have even advised you about an oral OTC wormer. There are meds like Drontal, as an example, that are a broad spectrum wormer that could have worked much better in your case. And, as a side issue, the topicals are for prevention - and while they should kill the current worms, the oral meds would have been more effective on an immediate basis, as far as I know.