Need advice on my hand raised kitten

sonnysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here, and a new kitty mama as well lol. On the Monday after Easter my sons friend brought over a tiny one day old kitten, said her outdoor cat had a litter on Easter but the mama cat wouldn't take care of them and the one she had was the only survivor of the litter :( even tho I have no experience with cats I couldn't let it die, I had to save it. Everyone, including my fiance were saying I shouldn't try that it would die blah blah blah... But I just had to give it a chance. Well the kitten (Sonny is his name) turned six weeks old Sunday. He's litterbox trained, off the bottle and eating wet kitten food as well as dry, he's so playful and fun. Loves to cuddle with me and stares at me when I talk to him :) my question is how do I teach him about being too rough? He bites and claws my hand, arm ...anywhere he can get to lol I know normally his littermates would teach him but since he didn't have any idk where to begin

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do at this age is to say ow out loud when he bites and to stop interacting completely. You can also slip in a toy for him to play with instead, and thereby redirect his attention.

Thank you for saving this little bugger! We'd love to see photos.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mom and siblings would have taught him. Kudos to you for saving the little guy - that was a lot of work!

Try to use toys such as da bird, to play with him a few times a day to help expel his energy. Do not let him play with your hands or feet. It's a bad habit to get into, but it seems to be a stage that kittens go through. He will eventually outgrow it.

My four had a mom and they still wanted to attack my hands and feet. Occasionally, I would scruff one, which is what mama kitty does, and say no! Also, you can hiss at him, which is something else mama kitty does to let her kittens know to stop doing something. Whenever I hissed, the behavior in question stopped immediately. They do learn quickly between now and 3-4 months old.

And he really wants attention and to play, so carve out time for just that! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

yessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving the little kitten, I love to hear stories like yours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonnysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best thing you can do at this age is to say ow out loud when he bites and to stop interacting completely. You can also slip in a toy for him to play with instead, and thereby redirect his attention.

Thank you for saving this little bugger! We'd love to see photos.