Need advice on feral kitten found in my yard

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Myferalkit:  I feed a colony of around 5 to 10 cats.  I feed cheap wet and dry food (Friskies).  While that is not the quality of food I would give Ritz (and, I feed Raw), the food is better than what they find in dumpsters.  The cats get the occasional rejects from Ritz and the extra bone/gristle Ritz can't have. I fed only a set quantity, regardless of the number of cats who show up, in an effort to get them to still hunt rodents and birds. 

I've TNRd the entire colony; another 25 haven't come back to dine at "my restaurant".  There is a saying, "if you feed, do not let breed." 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myferalkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are to be admired for what you do, Ritz. Your "restaurant" is no doubt the best in the city to your colony. 

We have a big feral problem in my city - as do all cities, everywhere - but other than Mama, I have never seen another feral cat around here. How she ended up in my yard, I have no idea - although my next-door neighbours have bird feeders ALL OVER their yard, and a huge woodpile, YUM...

I live in a nice, residential area with a big park and dense brush within half a block. I have seen opossum, raccoon, and skunks in my yard, but Mama is the only feral I see. I'm surprised that she is totally alone, she just hangs out, under my deck and my heart breaks for her. She HAS to be lonely - from what I have read, feral cats are not as fond of people as they are of other cats, whose company they usually enjoy. Guess she's just a loner, poor thing.

I buy what I can afford, usually on sale. I try to get the best nutritional bang for my buck...Mama doesn't seem to know the difference or care...it's food. I put out both wet and dry twice a day, bringing in any leftovers at dusk, there's never any wet left. I know she hunts (next door) I've seen evidence...The vet said she is relatively healthy (for a feral) and she looks far better now than she did when I first started feeding her.

I feed Mojo better quality kitten kibble left out all day and wet food three time a day. If I de-bone my own chicken breasts, or trim up some other meat, I boil the scraps/bones in plain water, take the meat off the bone and let them have that, Mojo likes the kibble moistened with the water from whatever I boiled.

I normally would not have gone to the store I went to on Sunday evening but I don't drive, it was the closest one to get to before closing and I needed food. I tend to buy at Walmart or the supermarket, on sale. The big name pet stores I find expensive, but I had no choice but to go to the one I went to. The sales clerk I thought was very rude - I realize it was an "up-sell" and part of his job, but there is a BIG difference between pointing out that they carry a "better" (more expensive) product and sneering at me for buying the best I could afford. Then his uncalled for remark about never feeding a cat he didn't know PO'd me royally. I seriously doubt if that young man would feed a starving cat in the dead of winter, if they hadn't been officially introduced....

By the way, the store on Sunday WAS NOT Pet Smart....I go to Pet Smart with my sister who buys all her cat supplies there, and the staff is knowledgeable and courteous. PLUS they recently made a big donation to my city, for vouchers get feral cats neutered/spayed at a discounted price - vouchers that were snapped up in an instance, unfortunately I was not one of the lucky snappers. But unless there is a really good sale, I don't buy there if I can get cheaper somewhere else....can't afford to....I'm laid off and only work part-time from my home, so money is always tight. But Mama will always be OK for as long as she wants to live in my yard....she's not eating Filet Mignon and neither am I, but we ARE both eating.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am just very happy that things are going so well with Mojo. I also am thankful that Cindy (:bigthumb:) supplied you with the link about declawing :eek: I am totally against it as well and certainly wish it were banned here in the U.S. You can trim Mojo's nails, just the tip. Also supply very tall and STURDY cat scratching posts. Cats like to stretch way up and scratch. It is a way to stretch and very healthy for them. So sturdy is important and that the post stays put during scratching. You can also use catnip to get them started on the scratching posts. Cats also love those floor cardboard scratchers. I have a variety of different scratching options for my cats. I also trim their nails every week or two. How is momma kitty doing? :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: