Need Advice On Feral Fam

Bexxie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last fall a family of either strays or ferals had babies in my neighbor's yard. Nobody in the neighborhood claimed them, but we have lots of cats around here and assumed they were part of a wild colony (they ran from people). They abruptly disappeared in winter except for a kitten I adopted (I waited a week, the family didn't come back for him) Now he's well socialized and loves being a prince but he will hide from new people.

Recently his family showed up after months of god knows what. They're all looking underfed/malnourished (my well cared for housekitty is huge compared to their thin bodies, and those are siblings the same age as him and an older parent). The siblings are just about a year and parents are older. My concern is trying to tame the entire group. Not the method but whether it's what's best for them. I would not want to break them up bringing in the kids but worry the adults have lived too long outside to be happy indoors. But I'm sure they'd love to be a family unit again too. What do other people think?

This has always appeared to be a uniquely close family unit so I'm hesitating. I was thinking of trying for all of them while knowing rerelease is possible and they would benefit from fixing and medical attention. Really I'm just trying to suss it out and hoping for others' two cents before I do anything.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would suggest that you continue feeding them and setting traps for TNR.

They really need spaying, neutering, and vaccinating. If any can be socialized and re-homed you will be able to determine that as you work with them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sarthur2. Once you start feeding them you can sit with them why the eat and eventually pet them. Then you will be able to figure out if they or tame or tamable and if not you can continue to feed them outside. But do get them fixed ASAP so there are no more babies.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm probably not going to say much that's new - but had to chime in a bit and address a few of the things in your post. Please know in NO WAY am I trying to say anything demeaning, or unpleasant at all toward you (emails are SO hard to tell tone in!) -- -you did a WONDERFUL THING by taking in the feral baby you did! And he sounds healthy, well-fed, happy, and loved. So that's a very wonderful, caring thing you did. So to move on to "the group."......

You say that there are "lots of cats around" and that they probably come from a "wild colony." It really doesn't matter in a lot of ways if every single one is 100% feral, or if it's a mix of feral cats and cats that are strays because they've been dumped/gotten out and lost...it doesn't matter, they're just trying to survive (and it's a myth that kittens can all hunt for themselves to survive - kittens/cats can't hunt unless they were taught to hunt at a very early age by mom - rarely do kittens not taught by mom to hunt survive long at all). So this group has become a little unit that's trying to survive. Outside cats (be they feral, stray, etc. - doesn't matter) --rarely survive much longer than a few years - - -if they're lucky. So the family of the baby you took in likely followed the "leader of their group" and tried - and sounds like, juddmng by their condition, they barely made it! It's very likely they're highly undernourished and could desperately use a constant food source.

To me, socializing all is the least important thing right now - - - although eventually it would, of course, be fantastic. The most important is to make sure they have food, water, and shelter -- -and are spayed and neutered ASAP (or you'll have WAY more kittens showing up SOON!). So for right now - personally - I'd be focussed on trapping any and all that look to be of breakable age (cats can have babies at just 4 months!!!! Talk about babies having babies!!!!!!!

So if you can, work on setting up a feeding station or two. It's easy - check out this link at Alley Cat Allie: Build a Feeding Station. We did ours out of a large rubbermaid "tote" that we put up off the ground by setting it on that layer of bricks. We cut a circle into the one end (some people put a hole at each end so the cat won't feel as trapped, but we just do one end). We put a brick on top once the lid's on - so it won't fly away in a high wind). Call a local low-cost spay/neuter clinic, then work on trapping and fixing all that you can. Clinics also often have shelters for sale inexpensively. I know froI think the least important thing - although absolutely something worth working toward - is socializing. But that's something you can do WHILE you work on the other things (shelter, food, water, and spaying/neutering) you can absolutely work slowly to socialize them!!!!!!!! Talk to the people at the clinics about how to socialize - they're great sources. And keep asking any socialization questions you need to! We're all happy here to help at this forum. Lots of people with lots of experience - and lots of compassion who are ready to help!

Again - hope this didn't get too confusing. Ask any questions - and we'll all try to help! Keep us posted! And ask away on questions - most of us have been there! SO proud of you for taking the first step by taking in the sweet baby! Congrats on all - bless you for doing it -andkeepus infrojtin

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To socialize a whole group of shy semiferales is extra difficult, even for experienced fosterers. Although you will have an ambassadeur, your resident, their bro. Even if they prob dont recognize him any longer. Easiest is prob to do what you are "deemed" to do. Begin with feeding them as sort of your outside kitties, and soon enough taking in them for spaying / neutering (you will possibly have to take them in trap. DONT wait till they are friendly enough so you can take them by hand into a carrier - its a mistake).
You release them at your place which is also their food place and where they get shelter. And under the time you will naturally see if any of them is easier to foster, also to be another intermediate. You concentrate on the postive examples, for others to see and follow.
Observe, you will have extra occassion when they females are recovering after the spaying. If they dont get wild and wants out at any price, they perhaps will discover its nice to be taken care of. :)

The rest lies in Gods hand - hopefully you succeed with the whole group, at least the younglings, if not you must be happy to save what you can save, and let the rest be your little TNR group, your outside kitties. Its not any bad life, with a good loving caretaker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bexxie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update for those who were curious...

The wild family has thrived in the past year. The parents are more sporadic in showing up, but the siblings regularly come here. Since they rebuffed our initial efforts in taming we have long ago given up. They're wild, but protected.

One sibling was fixed quickly but it appears the second had already impregnated another kitty when we wrote the post (didn't know at the time). So I then focused on fixing that new kitten group who are now grown-up themselves. This spring more will be fixed but half the total colony currently are. I've researched like mad, read the guidebook in full and watched the videos. I don't feel daunted by the prospect at all anymore, not like back when I wrote my original message on this thread.

As for food/water/shelter they always had it but I've stepped up my efforts. The outdoor gang is well fed and not thin as rails anymore. During winter I changed water every 2-3 hours because it freezes quickly here. They were monitored closely to make sure everyone came through the winter. There's an additional solid wooden structure (think homemade super-sized doghouse) which the new group uses and the old group tends to sit on.

Meanwhile my own baby boy has gotten adopted brothers to play with. They're well bonded like a small gang. His orphan story was shared and he now advocates for care of all kitties online. He has a good social media following that raised hundreds of dollars for our local animal shelter. We put out not just his adorable pictures but cat care advice, psas, encourage adoptions, etc. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction to help all the kitties!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
:welcomeback2: and thank you for the update! It's wonderful to hear how they are going, and the work you're doing. :rock:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, great news! Nothing more rewarding than when you show up with the “feed wagon” and everybody gathers!

Thanks for doing all you are. Please keep trapping and s/n as you can.

Super update. Keep us posted and pics, maybe?