Need Advice On CKD Treatment For My Boo

dcam

CATHOUSE15
Kitten
Purraise
I was heartbroken when my Boo was diagnosed with stage 3 CKD a few months ago. After going through multiple prescription brand foods, I finally found one that he will eat fairly well. I also add Epakitin to his food and give him Hydra Care for hydration. So far, Boo is doing well but I have noticed him scratching and grooming himself a lot more than usual. I read that dry itchy skin can be a problem with CKD and was hoping someone had a suggestion for treating this. I have been brushing him with leave-in moisturizing shampoo and adding HomeoPet skin & itch drops to the Hydra Care. Both seem to help but only short-term so I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion.

Attachments

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say fish oil is good. it stinks so bad I could hardly stand it...very strong cod liver oil. If your cat and you can tolerate the smell, it does work. Expensive, and has to be added to food.
But because of the strong smell of the plain bottled oil I began giving my ckd cat 1 churu Skin and Coat with Omega 3's once a day and and in just a few months her coat was shinier and the colors were much truer. I see a notable difference and far less scratching.
FWIW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcam

CATHOUSE15
Kitten
Purraise
They say fish oil is good. it stinks so bad I could hardly stand it...very strong cod liver oil. If your cat and you can tolerate the smell, it does work. Expensive, and has to be added to food.
But because of the strong smell of the plain bottled oil I began giving my ckd cat 1 churu Skin and Coat with Omega 3's once a day and and in just a few months her coat was shinier and the colors were much truer. I see a notable difference and far less scratching.
FWIW
I too tried adding fish oil to his food but because of the smell, Boo would not eat it. I will definitely try the Chura Skin & Coat. Thanks so much for your recommendation!

the spare human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kinda late here but it could also be your little buddy is cold. My Opie has similar issues and I've found trying to keep him warm seems to help alot to cut down the excessive grooming. The kidneys help regulate the body temperature, so if they get cold it could also make the limbs very itchy. He used to hate any kind of heating pads, guess they freaked him out. But now..

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcam

CATHOUSE15
Kitten
Purraise
I was heartbroken when my Boo was diagnosed with stage 3 CKD a few months ago. After going through multiple prescription brand foods, I finally found one that he will eat fairly well. I also add Epakitin to his food and give him Hydra Care for hydration. So far, Boo is doing well but I have noticed him scratching and grooming himself a lot more than usual. I read that dry itchy skin can be a problem with CKD and was hoping someone had a suggestion for treating this. I have been brushing him with leave-in moisturizing shampoo and adding HomeoPet skin & itch drops to the Hydra Care. Both seem to help but only short-term so I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion.
Kinda late here but it could also be your little buddy is cold. My Opie has similar issues and I've found trying to keep him warm seems to help alot to cut down the excessive grooming. The kidneys help regulate the body temperature, so if they get cold it could also make the limbs very itchy. He used to hate any kind of heating pads, guess they freaked him out. But now..
Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize that the kidneys helped regulate body temperature. I will definitely see if the heating pad helps. Thanks so much! Opie is very pretty!