Need Advice On A New Shelter Cat

Jobad72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve had cats as long as I can remember, but they’ve always been outdoor barn/farm cats. We’ve never got a shelter cat until now. My wife wanted a indoor cat for our foreign exchange girls, so we picked up a five month old female last night and got home about 800pm. We showed her the litter box and food on the first floor. She used the box immediately and after darting from corner to corner on the first floor she found the stairs and the second floor and disappeared to under the bed of one of the girls rooms. I can’t seem to make the girls understand, likely the language barrier, they HAVE to leave their doors open at night to allow the kitty to get out so here’s my thought, please tell me what you think. I was thinking of moving the litter box and food to the girls room for a few days. Then moving both to the hallway just outside her room. Then a couple days later the end of the hall at the top of the stairs and eventually ending up at the bottom landing, where we think it will ultimately work best. My other idea was to retrieve the kitty and close the doors upstairs and basically forcing her to stay on the first floor until she’s acclimated. She could still hide in the laundry room on the first floor. I’m leaning toward the first idea, but thought it’d be best to join a cat group and ask for advice & I will follow the consensus advice. Thank You!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the first idea too, mainly because I have often gradually moved a litter box to where I eventually want it to be with success. The girls may be so ingrained with shutting their door at night that it may be a tough habit to change. I always believe in letting the kitty find a place where she feels comfortable, not adding to the stress by closing off where she wants to go. You could put a second box where you eventually want it to end up, she will find it and know where it is sooner.(and just in case she gets locked out of the room at night) It takes a while for a new cat to get used to things, so I hope you can convince the girls to not force anything. Just sit quietly in the room and talk to the cat, offering and leaving treats. In a few days try to get her to play with a wand toy to get her used to coming out.
You are doing a wonderful thing by giving these girls a pet to care for and love, thank you. An experience that they will remember forever. There is nothing more bonded than a young girl and her cat! And for saving a cat that only wants to love you and bring a richness to your home that only a cat can give!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would get a second litterbox, at least for a little while. Because if the girls don't remember to leave the door open, they might also not remember if the cat is in or out of the room. If the cat sneaks out and they close their door, the cat will be locked out of the room with no litterbox.

jackie.o

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If kitty likes the girls room, I think you're right in putting the box there! I adopted a cat recently and she hid in my walk-in closet for a couple of days. I put everything she needed in there, and after she began coming out of the closet on her own, I gradually moved her box, food, water, etc. to other places that I preferred. It worked well. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jobad72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she came out from under the bed and ate a little. Told the wife that if the water bowl still doesn’t appear touched by tomorrow, a vet visit may be necessary. I honestly never thought I’d have a cat food bowl and box in almost every room of my house!
Thanks for the feedback y’all!