Need advice: move the cats twice?

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am moving to a new city next month and I have a job interview Monday for a great position in the new city with my current company.  Eek!  Wish me luck!  
  Without counting my chickens before they hatch, the hiring manager seems very enthusiastic about me and one of her former colleagues sent me a great recommendation.  I just found out about the interview today, which means she is moving fast and that is a good sign.

However, I know for a fact that the hiring manager for this position wants it to start 8/12, but we are not moving until 9/1.  That means I would be staying with my boyfriend during that time so that I do not have to commute 4 hours (round trip) each day. I need help figuring out what to do with the kitties during this time.  Here are the options:

Option A - Leave them at my current house.  This would mean for 5 days and 5 nights. (Sunday night through Thursday night, Monday day through Friday day.)  I would have someone come at least twice during this period (leave out dry for them) or more if I can get someone to commit (feed them wet).  I don't like this option for a number of reasons:
  1. I have not had great luck with finding reliable family members (even my own mother) to remember to come feed the cats which is the main reason I had put them back on dry food so that I knew they would eat.
  2. Most people who have helped feed the cats don't give them any kind of interaction, sit with them or pet them, etc. This is a long time for them to essentially be alone.
  3. We are still struggling with the boys ganging up on Joni to extreme measures and I don't want to leave her to their mercy for five days.
Option B - Move them to my boyfriend's house from 8/12 to 9/1, then into the new house on 9/1.  Reasons I don't like this option:
  1. Risk of the cats being discovered by the landlord and having to move them out of the apartment or pay a fine or both.
  2. Boyfriend's house is not suitably cat-proofed.  We can work on this between now and 8/12 but it is not ideal.
  3. Moving the cats twice in three weeks. I'm not sure how much the move will traumatize them but I can't imagine this would go smoothly.
Option C - The hiring manager somehow agrees to let me begin work on 9/2!!!! Best option but completely out of my control, and very unlikely based on what I know of how hard she's been trying to get this position rolling. And I do not want the start date to be the thing that keeps me from getting this job as it is a big step up and in the right location for the new house which is the #1 priority.

Note: Options like professional pet sitter or boarding are not possible due to cost.

Thoughts????  

PS for mods - I had no idea where to put this so feel free to move it if the Cat Lounge isn't appropriate.  Thanks!!!

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave them in the house.  I would try to get a pet sitter in just one trip in middle so you know the cats had some care and a experienced eye on them/attention.

Taking them to rental is opening up a mney pit if they decide you"had the cats for the entire time he was there renting"  and if they get out you may not be able to get them back in fast enough.

When were moving from apartment to house we left cats at apartment till house was set enough to move them in.  only a night or two but still was huge change as I was there nearly all day everyday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking them to rental is opening up a mney pit if they decide you"had the cats for the entire time he was there renting"  and if they get out you may not be able to get them back in fast enough.
Yeah, I'm definitely nervous that we would get screwed real quick if the landlord found the cats.  I hate to think of them by themselves 5 nights a week for 2 weeks straight, though.  The interview today went well and I am hoping I will get the job but it will definitely throw a wrench into the moving plans.

blacktrack208

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck with the job! I agree with what someone up there said, maybe hire a sitter at least once during those weeks so they get attention. I think it's the safest bet for you money wise- and at least they will be in their home.