need advice/help with rescued PREGNANT kitten

elly mae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am normally a dog person (I have 3)  but I love all animals.  A stray kitten who is extremely pregnant has adopted us.  I am very worried about her, as she looks to be aroung 6 months old, and due to give birth any minute.  She started allowing me to pet her as she ate, and yesterday she moved into the house.  My dogs are used to cats being around; we've had two others over the years.)  Our vet is closed today, but it is too late for anything but birth now, anyway, as she looks ready to pop any minute.  All I knew to do was fix her a spot in the closet, which she took to immediately, and has been going in there to nap.  I guess I am afraid she is so young that the birth may kill her.  Any comments...??

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness - thank you very much for taking her inside and offering her shelter and a place to have her kittens. This is for the best for the kittens and for momma kitty. The kitten's will need to be socialized from an early age. If you didn't get her inside then the kittens would be born outside and would be feral :(. SO you did a wonderful, compassionate thing for this momma kitty. I would start making calls right now to local rescues, humane societies, shelters..... maybe one of these places will offer you financial assistance if you foster this little family of kittens until such time they are ready to go up for adoption. BUT first they must be born and you need some support :hugs:

I am going to ask a Moderator to move this thread to Pregnant Cats/Kitten Care Forum. You will have much better replies for birthing and kitten care. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plenty of very small females give birth without problem - cross your fingers.  She and her kittens have a better chance than I think you suspect.  She is probably also a bit older than you suspect - she would have had to get pregnant at 4 months to give birth at 6.  Cats carry for just over 9 weeks.

Remember she may have fleas and/or worms, and probably hasn't been getting a good diet.  I'd put her on kitten food, and keep her on it until the kittens leave her - they should be at the very least 8 weeks, 12-13 is far better so long as they have been vacinated.

Hope she and her kittens bring you lots of joy, and bringing them up with dogs is a great thing to do.

Ringing for financial assistance is a good idea - bring up a large litter can be expensive and involves mountains of food and cat litter, lots of hard work and also lots of fun.  Sometimes (if things don't go well) it can involve lots of heartache as well.

I took regular photos of the kittens I fostered last year which helped the rescue I fostered them for home them.  I also recorded their weight every day for the first three weeks, by which time they were too large for the scales.  The photos are a lovely keepsake as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elly mae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, everyone!  Will keep you posted. 

She seems pretty content right now

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! And yes...ready to pop! lol Good luck with her and thank you for taking her in ;)

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a pretty girl! And yes, she certainly looks happy. Thank you for taking her in. I'm sure she appreciates having a safe place to raise her kittens.