need advice/help with applying soft paws

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charliefarley

Hi i am afraid vets here in the UK have little heard of this product and i have contacted a few who are not willing to apply them as i told them they are glued on and they thought they were just pushed on. So i am yet to find a vet who has any experience with these at all.
Groomers here have never heard of them only about 150 miles away from my home town which would be to far to travel. So as you see i am a little alone with this were i live.
you might PM Rosiemac - i don't know if she uses them, or where exactly she lives in the UK, but she's closer than any of us!

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charliefarley

Will take time out as suggested as now charlie has two claws stuck with glue and a rather pink looking claw due to chewing off my very last attempt this evening athough last time i looked 3 were in place on one paw with one glued claw in amongst them

Take care and i will update if anything more positive to tell you I feel really cruel at this moment in time.
Don't sweat it. I can assure you, you are hurting much more than Charlie. Don't worry about it.
I recall when I happened to push the cap up too far and it was touching her sensitive skin thing (for lack of a better term!) that the nail grows out of, She was really bothered by it. As long as I kept it on the nail only she seemed unphased. Maybe something to keep in mind whenever you do attempt it again. A wine cooler may not be a bad idea either
Just kidding!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It's just an idea?, but try e-mailing The Cats Protection for help because i know my local one has spoke about softpaws.

It's a shame the vets won't even try and help you
Hi ok thank you i will give them a call and see if they agree with the soft paws and it seems a lot of people in the UK do not.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes its not worth it. I'd just go back to keeping the nails cut on a regular basis - once a week. I've never tried the Soft Paws; always clipped nails.

Hopefully one way or the other will work out for you.

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would keep trying. It almost took me an entire bag (40) to get the hang of it, but now it's pretty easy to get them on her. She likes to growl at me, which I hate, but oh well. Also, do you guys use the applicator things? They get all dried up afterwards, but it's almost impossible to get the glue in without them and she ends up getting a lot around her fur.

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also learned that the ONLY way I can do it easily is kneeling over top of her with her between my legs. left hand holding and pressing out the nail and right hand slip the cap over. Opposite for the other foot. (all this is done after I've added the glue.) I also did one at a time. I'd release her before she even knew what I did, so there was never any holding her down or fussing with her.

Before the caps ever arrived, numerous times during the day I would take her paw and extend her claws and then the other foot and pet her and release her. After about the sixth time over the course of one day, she didn't even care what I was doing and lets me handle her paws pretty easily now.

I'll post things that I do or tips that may help you as I think of them.

Heck, I may even upload a little video of the procedure on photo bucket.
I'll need my daughter to take it though so it may be a few days....she's in college-she'll be home on the weekend.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sometimes its not worth it. I'd just go back to keeping the nails cut on a regular basis - once a week. I've never tried the Soft Paws; always clipped nails.
Yes you are probably right it may not be worth it. I get her nails clipped every 2 to 3 weeks but she is a very clumsy and adventurous kitty and does seem to cause a bit of damage dispite this. She is very tiny so i have decided to keep her as an indoor cat. Although she is lead trained and goes out with me every day to a friends house which she loves she gets in her carrier ready to go most mornings so she does not really get bored.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we put the soft paws on Roxie we wrapped her in a towel and only took one leg out at a time. BF held her while I glued and stuck. She was not too happy (hissing, growling and trying to bite) but once she was all done and had a treat she forgot what had even happened.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I now think i may be useing wrong size i have kitten size and charlie is nearly 4 months old i have noticed that they are not pushing right on at the front so maybe not gripping so well and falling off. So i may get some small size and see if it makes a difference. I did try and apply 3 more last night but they came unstuck.