Need advice for the neighborhood

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the female cats we spayed exactly two weeks ago, has some bleeding from her behind. It is not much, just smudges on the floor. I'm still worried though.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the female cats we spayed exactly two weeks ago, has some bleeding from her behind. It is not much, just smudges on the floor. I'm still worried though.
Are you sure it's coming from her rectum ? I'm asking because sometimes small amounts of bleeding( vagina) can come days or even in next couple of weeks-its not uncimmon and usually not concerning

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's coming from her rectum ? I ask because after spaying there can be a little blood( vagina) in the first couple of weeks,not usually a concern

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's coming from her rectum ? I ask because after spaying there can be a little blood( vagina) in the first couple of weeks,not usually a concern

Sorry for the very late reply. As I've been also trying for my own mental sake, not to think of the cats 24/7.

But I'm happy to say, that she's now doing well, and looks healthy. She's walking about and eating fine, and no more bleeding.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the very late reply. As I've been also trying for my own mental sake, not to think of the cats 24/7.

But I'm happy to say, that she's now doing well, and looks healthy. She's walking about and eating fine, and no more bleeding.
Ah,fantastic- good to hear,better late than never!Happy to see you back and thrilled to know all is well❤

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The recent batch of sawdust I procured was finer than the initial ones. And I ordered a pouch of Dr Elsey's Ultra Litter Attractant and tried to use it. I tested it and mixed 5 spoons of the herbs in one of the 2'x'1 boxes (the pouch said it is enough for 100lbs, so I just tried to do the math). For some reason, the sawdust litter seems to have been hardening and caking. I'm not sure if the herbs are the cause?

One of the cats also, instead of pooping, decided to use that box as his bed. I will find him in the morning lying comfortably inside.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The recent batch of sawdust I procured was finer than the initial ones. And I ordered a pouch of Dr Elsey's Ultra Litter Attractant and tried to use it. I tested it and mixed 5 spoons of the herbs in one of the 2'x'1 boxes (the pouch said it is enough for 100lbs, so I just tried to do the math). For some reason, the sawdust litter seems to have been hardening and caking. I'm not sure if the herbs are the cause?

One of the cats also, instead of pooping, decided to use that box as his bed. I will find him in the morning lying comfortably inside.
I use DrElsys Ultra.... ime it does not " clump " but ime with " sawdust"( lol) it will cake and harden ,especially after damp or humid weather so I know what you mean..... you might want to try " bedding" ( for horses)which you can get some dust free at a tack store- cats love stalls with bedding for a giant litter box and it works well,cost effective too

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a distressing day. I found one of the cats we spayed last December 10, in a sickly state today. I assumed the worse that it's something contagious like Panleukopenia.

I know that damned thing is present in the neighborhood, because I have had a couple of outdoor cats diagnosed with it before.

She's only about 5 months old. I had her spayed earlier than I planned last month because I panicked when I found another cat about just a month older than her was already heavily pregnant. That other cat gave birth last christmas, but all her litter were already dead yesterday. It's really difficult, the policy at the neutering clinic is six months old or at least 2 kilos. But by 4 months they can get pregnant already.

There is this sexually driven male in the area that we haven't caught. He's always chasing the females, especially the young ones, even though they are not in heat.

I actually caught the dominant male cat last november, but this other one seems to have just replaced him.

The now-sick cat, they accepted her at the neutering clinic because she's a bit more grown and larger than you would expect in her age.

Another big concern of mine, is I kept her in a cage while she's recovering from her surgery from Dec.10 to Dec 17. Then I used that cage again yesterday to bring in another cat for neutering, he's an adult male.

I'm really concerned with any virus spreading, the male cat belongs and is fostered/fed in a house that cares for more than a dozen cats. If he gets sick, I don't want any outbreak with all those other cats.

I was able to talk to a vet earlier, if it's indeed panleukopenia she said it's possible she might have shed the virus into that cage. She might have been incubating the virus already during that time, and when she underwent surgery for spaying, she became immuno-compromised.

I moved the new male cat we neutered today to another cage(which I have to borrow). Also, before using the previous cage, I always douse and wash it with water with bleach, that's my standard practice before using them on another cat. But I'm afraid yesterday was not potent enough. The clorox bottle run out on me when I did it yesterday. I think it's no more than 1 percent. I know it's potent, when I get a headache, but I didn't get a headache yesterday.

This has kept me anxious all-afternoon and this evening.

The sick cat, I have accepted with a heavy heart that she might die, she's resting now atop a cardboard box which is atop the washing machine of my neighbor who feeds her. She ate earlier this afternoon some canned wet food, we tried feeding her again this evening but she didn't want any. She's coughing, has black nasal discharge, and quite lethargic. My resources are already overextended, it's really difficult. The initial budget I set aside for this has actually been depleted. There are still a few cats that haven't been neutered. But these are now the difficult ones, if I can't trap and tame them myself, I might have to hire the professional cat catchers from the animal welfare group. They said they can do it also on the side for a day's fee. Also having them all vaccinated is definitely impossible, unless someone will bankroll me another 100,000 pesos.

My goal and priority is still to have all outdoor roaming cats in the neighborhood neutered. It's often the young cats and kittens who get sick, I really want to stop it, and don't have them dying anymore.

On the positive, I don't have a fear anymore that the cats will be impounded. A lot of the neighbors already know me as the cat guy who picks up the cat poop. And I do my rounds every morning. The complaints have died down somehow, and the cats don't poop as much on private property anymore.

It's really funny and I had a thought recently though. You know that biblical phrase from the Book of Job: "Have I sent rain upon the desert where no man is?" Something like that. The biggest concentration of cats is actually in that house with more than a dozen cats I mentioned above. But right in front of them immediately is the park, so mostly they poop nowadays there, and I clean them up every morning, and they don't bother private property.

They were a problem before, when they were unneutered, particularly the males who would go up the road where are there are denser houses to chase females, go fighting, and poop-mark the houses. But it's better now.

It's like God telling, "yes it's a problem, but it's not that of an unsolvable problem"

And the dominant difficult alpha cat that roams everywhere. I didn't have to actually catch him. He contracted mange, and he decided to confine himself in our own garage. And he was quite tame by that time. I already had him fixed as well as his mange. I still house him in a cage though. The vet says the hormones don't fully go away before three months, I don't want him roaming again as soon as I let him out. I am gonna keep him near our house, and litter box train him.

Even with the new difficulties, and with still the work ahead. I am starting to have faith all will be well.

Thanks guys again for listening.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really difficult, the policy at the neutering clinic is six months old or at least 2 kilos. But by 4 months they can get pregnant already.
This is something I'd like to understand better.
I'm starting to believe that cats aren't the same across the world, and that for some reason cats in the US reach their sexual maturity much earlier than in Europe, or at least in my country.

Over here, no vet would ever spay or neuter a cat younger than 6 to 8 months of age. And I have never heard of any weight rule of thumb.
In my life, I have never heard of a kitty getting pregnant at 4 or 5 months of age.

That's why I think that cats are different on each side of the Pond.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something I'd like to understand better.
I'm starting to believe that cats aren't the same across the world, and that for some reason cats in the US reach their sexual maturity much earlier than in Europe, or at least in my country.

Over here, no vet would ever spay or neuter a cat younger than 6 to 8 months of age. And I have never heard of any weight rule of thumb.
In my life, I have never heard of a kitty getting pregnant at 4 or 5 months of age.

That's why I think that cats are different on each side of the Pond.
It's is different in many States in the USA as well - here in Florida the earlier the better,just over 2lbs and not age at all but ususlly 2 months old they reach that weight- procedures much simpler ,less risk of complication and recovery time very fast..... This apples to both spay & nueter and it referred to as pediatric spay & nueter

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received my youngest boy Jackpot, from the breeder at 3 months old. The breeder had him neutered Just prior to shipping him to me. This was the policy of this breeder to ensure a true bloodline to be retained.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's is different in many States in the USA as well - here in Florida the earlier the better,just over 2lbs and not age at all but ususlly 2 months old they reach that weight- procedures much simpler ,less risk of complication and recovery time very fast..... This apples to both spay & nueter and it referred to as pediatric spay & nueter
Ok, but as I said, I wouldn't find any vet who does a spay or neuter on a 2 months old kitten.
Once I mentioned this pediatric spay to one of the many vets that I know, and she said they abhor this practice.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, but as I said, I wouldn't find any vet who does a spay or neuter on a 2 months old kitten.
Once I mentioned this pediatric spay to one of the many vets that I know, and she said they abhor this practice.
Interesting,here they believe the practice of waiting over 4months is simply antiquated and old school
We've been practice pediatric spay & nueter for as long as I've been in Florida( this County-40 yrs)

New York might still be old school,not sure

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My father said spaying and neutering has something to to with younger cats processing the anasthesia differently, and that it's much more difficult to locate the blood vessels and organs during surgery, for the small kittens. A vet must be highly trained to do it.

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another cat this morning looks sick, same thing, won't eat, and has a dirty snout. Spayed also last month.

My neighbors have been telling me too several of their indoor cats have been dying. Cases where they got out for a day and spent the night outside.Then soon they are sick and dead.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My father said spaying and neutering has something to to with younger cats processing the anasthesia differently, and that it's much more difficult to locate the blood vessels and organs during surgery, for the small kittens. A vet must be highly trained to do it.
Well the American Veterinary Medical Assoc & also the American Assoc of Feline Practitioners both fully endorse pediatric spay & neutering- it is easier ,safer and recovery is faster .... back in 2000 I remember one of the studies where 85 AAFP (who performed over 200 ,000 pediatric feline surgeries) all agreed

A Veterinarian qualified to perform surgery is qualified to perform surgery

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the American Veterinary Medical Assoc & also the American Assoc of Feline Practitioners both fully endorse pediatric spay & neutering- it is easier ,safer and recovery is faster .... back in 2000 I remember one of the studies where 85 AAFP (who performed over 200 ,000 pediatric feline surgeries) all agreed

The staff that receive the cats at the neutering clinic here aren't fully vet-health care professionals. They just follow the instructions of the doctors. I myself want them spayed and neutered as soon as possible.

I might have to have the <1 year old cats vaccinated first before having them spayed.

I brought in the second sick cat to the vet earlier, she tested positive for parvo/panleukopenia. They have her on IV therapy now. But when I got home, I found one of her companions also sick. This third one wasn't spayed recently but months ago.

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The staff that receive the cats at the neutering clinic here aren't fully vet-health care professionals. They just follow the instructions of the doctors. I myself want them spayed and neutered as soon as possible.
They aren't really trained to screen the cats health, they will just ask owners to have them do a bloodwork.

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A neighbor of ours is actually a vet. She lives just across the street. But when I try to consult with her, especially about cats, I always felt and that she acts as if we are being a bother to her. She does holds clinic in her house, but she handles mostly dogs, and on appointments only, for us in the neighborhood you would often have to catch her assistant when she's outside throwing the trash to get a word to her. As their door is always curtained close.

Each vet, their own attitudes and preferences I guess. I am not even sure if they took a hippocratic oath.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

I might have to have the <1 year old cats vaccinated first before having them spayed.

I brought in the second sick cat to the vet earlier, she tested positive for parvo/panleukopenia. They have her on IV therapy now. But when I got home, I found one of her companions also sick. This third one wasn't spayed recently but months ago.
You're in America or ?These are the outside cats/strays you're talking about,right ?You've got alot of sick cats around there ,huh? Why are these people letting their cats out- you must be heartbroken - can you pass out or post some kind of announcement to warn people not to let their kitties out,are they not taking this seriously -,seems no one is trying to help except you...gee,around my County the rescue orgs volunteers would be all over thst neighborhood before someone called Animal Control and they'd make a clean sweep of an infected group and then we know what happens then

Is there anyone who csn help you get these felines help plus try to stop this infection from spreading even further- this is like a pandemic,these poor little animals