Need advice for kitty nails

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. The first one I’ve had for almost two years and the second one I’ve had for 5 months.
The second cat loves to use her nails, on the first cat.
Sure she scratches on furniture and everything else even though we have tons of scratching posts, but I don’t really mind that much.
But she is scratching the first cat and finally yesterday she scratched her hard enough it required stitches.
I’ve tried soft claws for about 3 months and she chews and chews until she gets them off. They last maybe 2-3 days. I have hand tremors so I take her to the groomer about once a week to put new ones on which she inevitably chews off.
The cats don’t exactly fight. They don’t hiss or growl at each other. They don’t bite each other. They play together a lot. But the first cat can just be lying down and the second cat goes and scratches her up and runs off.
I don’t know why she keeps scratching her especially when she is sleeping and I don’t know how to get her to stop.
We considered rehomimg her with to a home without other cats but the truth is she’s almost 5, blind in one eye, diabetic, and has allergies. Not a lot of people out there are interested in a cat that needs daily medication for additional costs as well.
I’ve always been so anti-declawing, but I don’t know if I should consider it now. I talked to our vet yesterday when I took first cat for stitches and I love my clinic partially because they don’t recommend declawing, but yesterday she recommended I declaw her especially since she’s seriously hurting one cat and she’s indoor only and we’ve unsuccessfully been trying the soft paws for several months.
Anybody else have any ideas?

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
My home is furnished in kitty cat retro. The living room lampshade is in shreds! So is one arm of the loveseat. Only thing that works is heavy plastic covers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can handle the furniture. Her tearing up the other cat is the pressing issue. :(

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~
I have hand tremors so I take her to the groomer about once a week to put new ones on which she inevitably chews off.
~ Have her nails cut/trimmed. I would try giving kitty small dose of Zoloft as well. Calming kitty chews and a calming coller may also help.
Best of luck ...:hellocomputer:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother actually gave his diabetic cat to a shelter. It surprised me greatly, but plainly there is a chance, if perhaps small.

I agree regularly trimmed nails sounds like the best solution. Since this seems like just play, I don't think drugs is a good option. I mean, if it was aggression maybe you could medicate just a little, but since its play, you would have to drug the play out of a cat which is ugh.

Get her some toys she can latch onto and whack with her back paws. I've heard "kickaroos" mentioned here several times, although I've never had one. Looks like they have a lot of them on Amazon, as well as some from different brands that are just called "kicker" cat toys.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. The first one I’ve had for almost two years and the second one I’ve had for 5 months.
The second cat loves to use her nails, on the first cat.
Sure she scratches on furniture and everything else even though we have tons of scratching posts, but I don’t really mind that much.
But she is scratching the first cat and finally yesterday she scratched her hard enough it required stitches.
I’ve tried soft claws for about 3 months and she chews and chews until she gets them off. They last maybe 2-3 days. I have hand tremors so I take her to the groomer about once a week to put new ones on which she inevitably chews off.
The cats don’t exactly fight. They don’t hiss or growl at each other. They don’t bite each other. They play together a lot. But the first cat can just be lying down and the second cat goes and scratches her up and runs off.
I don’t know why she keeps scratching her especially when she is sleeping and I don’t know how to get her to stop.
We considered rehomimg her with to a home without other cats but the truth is she’s almost 5, blind in one eye, diabetic, and has allergies. Not a lot of people out there are interested in a cat that needs daily medication for additional costs as well.
I’ve always been so anti-declawing, but I don’t know if I should consider it now. I talked to our vet yesterday when I took first cat for stitches and I love my clinic partially because they don’t recommend declawing, but yesterday she recommended I declaw her especially since she’s seriously hurting one cat and she’s indoor only and we’ve unsuccessfully been trying the soft paws for several months.
Anybody else have any ideas?
NEVER even CONSIDER onychectomy (declawing) which is mutilation and often causes lifelong pain and litterbox avoidance/behavioral issues. No caring, responsible vet would do this. It is illegal in close to 40 nations, as it should be in all.
Have you tried looking at some videos by "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy on YouTube? He's an expert cat behaviorist with a lot of compassion and knowledge of cat behavior. He would possibly recommend communal play with interactive toys such as a wand-and-lure type (a/k/a Cat Dancer or da Bird, available widely online and at cat supply stores) and feeding in close proximity, on either side of a door, preferably where they can see and smell one another. Also, you might try keeping them separated, at least temporarily, and re-introducing them gradually. Please do look at Jackson Galaxy's videos.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you must rehome, there is an organization that helps with rehoming diabetic cats: Diabetic Cats in Need – Helping diabetic cats and their people since 2009.

Is the diabetes well regulated? If not, the cat may be feeling unwell and acting out by clawing at the other cat. Talk to your vet about diabetes management and what else you can try. Sometimes a different diet or insulin is needed. If you need additional advice and tips, check out the FelineDiabetes.com message board if you're not already familiar with it.

What allergies does your cat have?

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They play together great and there is really no aggression except when she suddenly scratches the other cat. They regularly bathe each other and sleep in the same bed cuddled up to my son, often cuddled together.
We have toys GALORE! I can’t imagine there are any toys we don’t have scattered around the house though the main play room is the living room. My son taught them to play fetch and that seems to be their favorite interest when they aren’t playing together. And even with the scratching the original cat still plays with her and they still get along fine. It’s mainly when she’s sleeping during the day and sometimes if she’s just walking by. She pounces on her suddenly like she’s prey and then runs off.
As for groomer, we have been taking her regularly for the soft paws and they trim her nails as needed.
Her diabetes is under control with her insulin and she’s at a very healthy weight but still is insulin dependent.
She’s allergic to everything. Mold, pollen, grass, dust, etc. I even hired a maid to help keep up with dusting! (It’s a 5200sqft house!)
I personally don’t mind the insulin and allergies and the additional care and cost associated with those things. She’s our baby! But I really am desperate to find ANYTHING to prevent declawing! It’s a horrible procedure. But I have to protect the other cat too. It’s not fair she’s getting scratched a couple times a week and now to the point she actually needed stitches. And if she’s playing with her I don’t know how to get her to stop or lighten up.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sympathetic to the fear of a repeat. Years ago, one of my cats bit the other requiring a vet procedure and the "cone of shame" while healing. I wasn't as knowledgeable back then, and just couldn't find a way to deal with it. While I was working on it, the situation happened a second time, with the same consequence including another vet procedure and cone of shame. Pain, health risk, discomfort for weeks = failed cat dad. I then went to separate lives, with one living in our furnished basement.

You have a big house, so good chance you can pull off separate lives. If so, that may be the best, or least bad, option.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you were willing to go in once a week to have the soft claws put on, how about going in once a week for a quick nail trimming? My vet doesn't even charge for cutting Feeby's nails, but then I only have them to do when she has a vet visit (otherwise, I do it - which I realize you cannot do). If they are trimmed weekly, I would think it would be hard to actually cause another injury actually requiring stitches.

Have you ever tried to discipline her in order to stop her? That would require you picking her up when she starts to claw the other cat, say a firm "no" or hiss at her (pick one for consistency), and put her in a time-out in another room for a couple of minutes. This would have to be done each and every time you catch her doing it. Eventually, she will get the message. What does your other cat do when getting scratched, btw?

As far as scratching the furniture, a similar discipline should apply. In this case, move her from the furniture that she is starting to scratch and place her on one of the scratching posts you have. If she doesn't stay there and immediately returns to the furniture, then repeat the above approach I suggested for the scratching of your other cat.

The problem with even considering giving the cat away is probably not as big of one regarding the diabetes or her other health related issues - the obstacle would more likely be the scratching, especially since she also scratches furniture as well. That is, unless you find someone out there who would be willing to work with her to get her to stop.

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For almost 5 months we’ve tried to redirect her from furniture when we are home from work. There are scratching posts in every room other than bathrooms, formal dining room, and guest room as those rooms are closed and off limits to the cats anyway.
When she’s scratching the furniture I can easily pick her and take her the few steps to the post which I’ve done hundreds of times and still attempt to do.
When she scratches the cat, she RUNS! And I don’t mean she prances off to the next room. I’ve ran after her. I’ve tried to sneak up to her. She bolts. And quite frankly I have a hard enough time getting up and down the stairs with RA than to chase my cat two or three floors through the house. And when we have dogs visit she doesn’t do that to them. My first cat doesn’t like dogs so she hangs out in the family room and bedroom if dogs are there. But the scratcher loves dogs but she won’t scratch them. The first cat scratched furniture for maybe a month or two but she doesn’t do it anymore and very much prefers her posts and pads. And she stopped doing it before we ever got the new cat.

The cat that gets scratched either runs under my bed or if my bedroom doors are closed she runs to the den and under the desk. She doesn’t even try to bite or fight back. She just runs. And the scratched doesn’t chase her either. She just scratches and runs away. It’s like a kid hitting their sibling. The hitter runs away and the one who got hit goes and tells or hides from the hitter.

About a month ago we put the scratcher in one room and the other cat roam free. So they both sat at the same door and meowed for half an hour until I let the scratcher out. They are bipolar!

I’m going to ask my groomer how short she can safely cut her nails to see if that can prevent any real injury to her.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a rude "come play with me" Have you tried putting a shirt on the scratchee? If only you could tell the scratchee to just scratcher her back then scratcher would understand it hurts.

Jenking1616

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update. I found out my neighbor’s daughter has a mobile grooming business. She came over and did the soft paws for me. My kitty chewed at them for quite a while but gave up. A few days later she came over to put new ones on just because they were chewed up. So far we are having more success with the soft paws and she only gets one off here and there and I think finally adjusting to them.
This new groomer puts them on a bit different and I’m thinking her technique is just better..
I’m a happy cat mama. They are back to just playing with each other and the couple times she has tried to scratch, it didn’t hurt her. And as an added bonus, my husband said if this continues to go well I can buy new living room furniture!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different brands of nail caps and they have different glues, but if you are using the "soft paws" brand, that is the original and should be about as good as anything probably. Glad they are working out for you. We found them a draining pain in the neck, but your situation is more compelling, and you have the groomer to help.