Need advice for introducing new baby

nuzzymom1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read all kinds of articles about how to introduce a new baby "people kitten" to pets, but most are directed towards dogs. Any hints or tips for me would be appreciated. I already wear baby scented powders and lotions and they have free access to the baby's room. I'm just more curious about reactions when I actually bring her home. Thanks guys...and thanks for the warm welcome on the new cats board.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a very possessive Siamese when I had our daughter. Since the Siamese was my lap cat, whenever I breastfed our daughter, I would have the cat sitting on my lap as well. As Jennifer got older and started crawling and moving about on her own, I always supervised to make sure she did not get rough with the cat. The cat was very tolerant of Jennifer and would allow her more latitude (pulling her tail and ears but not hard) than anyone else other than me. Jennifer's first word was "Seesuz" (the cat's name was Susie).

Personally, I think it is more important to teach the human babies not to harm the cat and to treat animals gently and with respect. The animals will respond in turn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nuzzymom1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for moving my post and to those of you who responded. I'm sure my "kids" will adjust alright, but I was just curious about responses they might have had to things like did they hide when baby cried, did they have to investigate while you breastfed (if you did that)? I know Morris loves being in my lap when I'm in 1 position long enough, I'm just worried he may via for position when I'm trying to feed the baby. I dunno, but I guess I just worry too much. More so asking out of curiosity., but thanks for answering.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had 2 cats when I had my first child 11 years ago. Mistoflees was more interested in where the baby slept than the baby. He slept in the bassinette for a while, then the crib when the baby wasn't there (lol). I made sure that he didn't get in there when the baby was, since he was much bigger than either of my kids. He was never interested when I was feeding the baby. But- I had to watch it when I started feeding cereal. He'd jump up onto the table where the high chair was and eat the cereal right out of the bowl, after the baby had her fill!
We still have Mistoflees, and a few years ago added Sneaky Pie to our household. Over the years my kids have grown to love our 2 kitties, I think they're going to be more upset when we lose one. Mistoflees is 13 this year.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nuzzymom1

Thankyou for moving my post and to those of you who responded. I'm sure my "kids" will adjust alright, but I was just curious about responses they might have had to things like did they hide when baby cried, did they have to investigate while you breastfed (if you did that)? I know Morris loves being in my lap when I'm in 1 position long enough, I'm just worried he may via for position when I'm trying to feed the baby. I dunno, but I guess I just worry too much. More so asking out of curiosity., but thanks for answering.
My experience has been that cats were more curious when babies cried. Our daughter will pretend she is crying like a baby and Bijou will come running EVERY time. As I said earlier, my siamese always sat on my lap while I was breastfeeding. I just never wanted her to feel left out after the baby came.

Everyone told me I would have to get rid of my siamese as she was really close to me and only me, but she was so gentle and forgiving to our baby it made my heart sing.