Need advice emotionally healing and integrating kitten from Lahaina fires

mokabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need advice on emotionally healing a very special kitten. We adopted a kitten that survived the Lahaina fires - she is estimated to have been two weeks old at the time of the fires (we named her Phoenix because of this). We don't know much about what happened from there but was rescued from the burn zone at 6 weeks, spent a month in foster care, and was treated for an abscess from a burn on her back. My guess is that her start to life was absolutely terrifying and horrific. I have fostered so many kittens, but none quite like her. When you pet her, she purrs like crazy but then suddenly scurries away. She plays with you, but if you twitch, she takes off. She is particularly tough because, weirdly - she does not like treats - hard or puree. How do I help emotionally heal this baby? I also need to eventually integrate her with my other cats, which will be challenging. I have a screen put up so they can interact, but at this rate, it could be months. I can't spend as much time as I do in this room for months because so much is not getting done in the house lol. Any advice on socializing Phoenix will be greatly appreciated.
IMG_1456.JPG

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is so wonderful of you to have adopted Phoenix!!!

It easily could be months, but even with what she has been through, her young age will work as an advantage for both of you. You can't really speed up the process as she needs to work through this on her own terms. I would consider her similarly to a shy timid cat, perhaps even an abuse victim, if you will. Can you see if you can get some tips from these TCS articles?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover - TheCatSite

If you haven't already, you might want to ask the foster about any techniques they used that worked positively with Phoenix.

Later on, you may need these -
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite

When she is ready to be photographed, you must share some pics of your new little one!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't a helpful post, but I love that name. And I have hope she will live up to it some day.

In fact, she kind of already has by being a survivor. She has to have some degree of strength to get through what she went through so early in life.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mokabean mokabean Hi! How wonderful of a little rescue she is. Thanks for caring for her.

Have you tried some Feliway? I recommend the Multicat one.

I'm guessing due to the burn she wasn't pet as much so might be more sensitive to it. Try sticking to mostly one or two finger pets at a time, mostly around her chin or neck. Slowly build up her tolerance. Not being so nervous will likely just come in time, especially as she gets to watch you with the other cats!

Do you have a particular cat who is easy going with new cats who you could introduce a bit faster so she can have some company part of the day? Even KittenLady, Hannah and her spouse had two cats who couldn't integrate so the rest of her clan spent half a day with each of those two cats. But also, I'm thinking that cat may be able to help bridge the socialization all around. You know your cats best to know if that would cause more trouble or be helpful.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the foster what they did. I would also have a set routine. I would get her intergrated with your cats ASAP because the other cats will help the most.

If she is very easily stressed/still has PTSD it might be needed to put her on mood stabilizers so you can convince her the world is a safe place.

My advice is to ignore her freak outs and remain calm. When she comes back, act like nothing happened. If you see her her getting nervous try distracting her with wand toys. Daily play can also help build up her confidence.

I love her name!