Need Advice Asap

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally a site that might tell me something okay MY one year old cat Carmel Delight has been expecting this will be her thrid litter I know she should have been spayed affter the frist as she had to have a c-section then because she is small and was only 6 mos old but i just couldnt afford it (I work as a live in care giver for my 89 yerold gandfather) and the c-section and the vet didnt offer to do it at the smae time, So anyway carmie was born to one of my ferals which ran off shortly affter she was weened Anyway She injured her back about 4-5mos and then got pregnant and had kittens aboiut 6-7 mos affter being in labor 24 hrs at the time she had to have a c-section due to one of the kittens being turned wrong or Dead in the womb the vet wasnt sure which is twas and it was a really big kitten.
okay that was good and i planned to get her psayed bfore she came into heat again all the kittens died however So i broiught her inside because i thought it would bebtter for her a sshe narly got ran over. however i have an as yet unnutered tom because the vet wont nuter him till he weighs at least 14lbs and we just found out the reason he wasnt gaining is a sensitive stomach anyway i digress i wasnt as vigilant as i planned nad time got away from me She had her second litter on the frist of december Four kittens one who was half formed had fur on the but but the head looked fetal and lost another to fading kitten but the othr two are happy and healthy and their were no issues I planned to spay her right affter but I was diagnosed with Edometrial cancer and have been too ill to do so(as well as cancer have extreme anemia due to the endometriosis added onto UTI) and didnt have the money due to having to travel threehours to the cancer dr. so when she came into heat well you know Now this time we have an isue she showed none of the signs of labor was eating and playing with my smedium sized dog earlier before retreating to her spot behind the sofa to nap as she dose most days.
She came out of my room and went into visable labor about 3 3/4 hours ago and i have yet to see a single kitten I live in a small town in Northern Missouri and NONE of the vets with in a 150 MI radius are 24/7 I have an option to call our vet in the AM but its easter so i dont know if he'll come in- So heres my concern When she started hr contractions wree bad and she beant practically backwards With them but now Carmie is no longer having severe contractions She has also been making several trips to the litter box i cant see anything besides a couple lil wet spots the size of barbie shoe or smaller Shes drinking but not eating and her sides which were rock hard have now softened and i can distinctly feel and nearly see the outline of one kitten she has stopped pushing like she was and is just lying here by me instead of under the bed where she had retreated earlier favoring it over her nest box Should i be concerned? No blood no discharge unless thats why she keeps going to the litter box her little girl place is clean and dry looking(Did have some clear mucas on it at the begining of labor before she hid) am i over reacting could she already have kittens under my bed and just be inbetween or should i call the vet in the mroning(meaning afftr 7) when he is awake? anothr issue is it is Easter sunday and our vet is one of those country doctors who knows you on sight but i dont know if he'll come in i dont ant to loose my carmie and hr mate My MIgnon i doubt could live with out her.
ohh and BTw he's finally reached 14lbs according to my scale so i'll be taking himm in to be nutered as well soon

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will read and try to write in 20 minutes if nobody answers before.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of waiting to neuter a cat before 14 lbs, some cats never reach that weight. Most are neutered as soon as they reach 2 lbs of weight here. I have heard of vets waiting until they are six months old to avoid urinary problems but with all the cats I have neutered before then I have never had a problem. You need to get him neutered before he starts in on all those annoying tom cat behaviors, such as spraying and aggression.
As for your little female, with all her previous problems, it needs to be a priority to have her spayed. I'm afraid you are just toying with a time bomb here that may end up in tragedy. She has not delivered normally in two litters and most likely won't. On cat labour it is the usual course to be very agitated and not acting calm at all if things are not going well. She most likely would be very distressed, crying, and hiding if the labour was not going right. I do not like the fact that she had such hard contractions though, earlier. She definitely should be seen by the vet, or anyone you can get hold of that is familiar with animal births, if she starts to have contractions again with no results after a few hours. Do you know a farmer that is close? She could be experiencing prelabour now, so please watch her closely. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. I'll pray for you both taht everything goes well, I hate the fact that things like this always happen in the middle of the night and on weekends. I wish you both well, bless you for being concerned.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C CarmiesMom As she has stopped up the delivery labor, its not THAT crash hurry at this moment. I hope you can wait out till the vet opens.
Although I do suspect its another cesarean waiting her. Ask the vet to spay her simultaneously. Unless he charges extra, this way you will save some money and effort...

It may be good to give her something containing calcium. As lack of calcium gives weak labor.
Does she manage cow milk? Most cats dont, but some do. If not, youghurt is OK. Goats milk is good.

You can give her some honey or white caro syrup in this water she drinks. It gives quick energy.

And one more thing.
This with 14 lb for male cats sounds peculiar. Not all vets are happy with neutering kittens, some want them to be 6+ months, even in USA. But 14 lb sounds peculiar. Most cats dont get that much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is very concerning! She is likely unable to deliver these kittens vaginally, and they may die in her uterus or birth canal if too much time passes.

You need to get her to the vet ASAP in order to save her life. Yes, this can be life-threatening.

Please instruct the vet to SPAY her while she is in surgery.

Please let us know how all this turns out.

What big city are you near? I’ll look for a low-cost spay/neuter facility for you to get your tom and kittens fixed.

So sorry for all your recent troubles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got a hold of our vet he says bring her in in about twenty min thats how long it'll take him to get to town and theirs a foot trying to come out! she restarted labor about forty five min ago now thank you for your advice and my toms a big boy we think he's part Forest cat or a big breed like that and the reason we had to weight is because the vet ws concerned he was under weight and the sugerie would be to hard on him given the fact that he has previous health issues he nearly died from a mystery illness at 8 weeks and then developed a severe flea allergy recently carmies still alert and trying her best so fingers crossed and i will ask him to spay her if he can..the only issue i have right this sec is i hate driving in the snow but cant be helped Carmie comes first Thank you for all your help and i will let you know how it gos and fingers crossed he dosent charge me out the wazoo because its a holiday

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please drive carefully!

I pray the kittens can be saved and all will be well.

The vet can and should spay her during surgery.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay affter haveing to take an alternate route to the vets office the roads i use normaly werent salted and i started to slide, Sugary was sucesssfulll three healthy babies one calico like mom and two yellow looks like 2 of three will be long haired like dad and The complications were from kitten number four who was large breech and cockeyed in the brith canal affter helping doc and his nurse with the kittens we came home Carmie is in a seperate pet carrier untill the drugs wear off as the frist time she fell and laid on her kittens when comming out of the anesteshia (SP?) and i have a voucher to return in three weeks for a spaying as doc was affraid it might make her unable to nurse the kittens if he spayed her now he says he's had issues with that in the past and generaly tries not to do that with live kittens. and it wasnt that hard on the pokect book either $375 with the spay voucher antibiotic and flea meds and i can pay in three installments of $125 each starting Firday when i get paid

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad everything turned out ok! Also glad the vet was able to work out a payment plan for you to have her spayed as well! It's nice to find one who can work with you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! You did the right thing.

Have the babies nursed yet? Or did the vet feed the babies or give you formula? They need to begin eating right away.

Since she has to go back for her spay, just wait until the kittens are at least 6 weeks old. Three weeks is too soon.

But, do not let her outside at all, and keep any non-neutered tom cats 100% away from her until she is spayed.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least one of the babies nursed at first for a few minutes not sure on the other two but i think they did then i had to take the moamma out of the nest box because she kept falling over on them now that shes recovered mostly from the Anestesia i put her back in with them the problem is they dont seem to know what to do when placed infront of her nipples is this normal or should i look for a foster home ASAP

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put their mouths to a nipple. They should catch on.

You can also give them sugar or honey water drops with a syringe to give them energy to suckle.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you know any home made kitten milk formulas i do not have karo syrup or Yogert ot eveporated or sweeteend condensed milk I have 1% milk I hve eggs and thats about it ohh unles you count vegitable oil

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
carmie wont lay down and nurse them she makes growly noises when i try and make her nurse them i dont know if its hurting her or shes just irritated i'm broke till the bank opens so i have to work with what i have on hand.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mix an egg into 1/4 cup of milk. Add a sprinkle of salt. If you have no honey, add 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar. Stir well.

Hold the kittens tummy down, head up, and give one drop at a time using a dropper or syringe in the side of the mouth. Let the kitten swallow and breathe and go again.

Try to give 1/2 to 1 mL to each kitten.

Mom will nurse when she feels better.

C CarmiesMom

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See my recipe above.

Did the vet send you home with pain meds for mom?

How many hours has it been since the kittens were born?

They will need feeding every 1-2 hours until mom feels better.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
do you know any home made kitten milk formulas i do not have karo syrup or Yogert ot eveporated or sweeteend condensed milk I have 1% milk I hve eggs and thats about it ohh unles you count vegitable oil
Please help me I'm at my whitts end my dog is going nuts and barking incessantly the kittens are screaming, and so is their mother plus my family member is talking without knowing what their talking about non stop. Now I have a recepie that calls for condenced milk, egg and yougert. I have sweetened condenced milk that expired in December can I use it and leave out the yougart? Like I said it's snowing like crazy has been all day and too slick to drive.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take a deep breath. Look at my posts #17 and #18 above. Do that, except substitute a teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk for the brown sugar.