Need Advice Asap Please!!!!

GypsysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet sweet gypsy girl became pregnant despite my efforts to wait. She is just over a year old and it seems no matter how much food I put in front of her, she is always wanting more. I believe she got pregnant around December 1st-5th. She has been eating 3oz cans of fancy feast twice a day with bottomless dry food and fresh water accessible at all times. My roommate has a bunch of other cats so I'm worried that she feels the need to eat all of the food in fear of the other cats eating it. I do try my best to keep the other cats out of our section of the house but I always catch them eating her food and using her litter box. My roommate doesn't buy name brand cat food or litter so once the other cats figured that out they pretty much just Wait until I leave to sneak in to eat gypsys food and use her litter box. It has been a burden considering how expensive food and litter is. I was under the impression there were only 3 FEMALE cats living in the house we recently moved into, but I soon found out it was 2 females AND TWO MALES! Gypsy is used to being the only cat in the house so if one of the other cats uses her litter box, she will wait until it is cleaned out before she uses it again. I have noticed she gets very irritable if I don't clean it at least once or twice a day, she will fight with the other cats or even give me attitude. She was such a sweet snuggly lovable thing before this. Now not only is she dealing with all the stress from moving, she's got to deal with the other cats being mean to her, on top of being pregnant for the first time! And last but certainly NOT least....another huge problem .....the other cats have FLEAS! Of course!!! Ugh!! I don't know what is safe and what isn't as far as flea treatment for a pregnant cat so I've just been using a flea comb on her (religiously) as much as she will allow. But it won't make a difference if the other cats have them, she will too. That is not fair. We have no where else to live right now and the last thing I want to do is seperate myself from her! Is there anything I can do or something I shouldn't be doing? Im sorry for writing such a long post, I just have SO many concerns and want to make her as comfortable as possible so she is strong enough for Labour and nursing. I hope someone can shed some light on us! Any information or advice would be so greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you feed her in a separate room from the other cats? This article has some more tips: Feeding Cats In A Multi-cat Household: A Quick Guide

As far as flea treatments go, Advantage and Frontline are popular choices. I would recommend calling your vet to ask what would be safe for a pregnant cat. Here’s an another thread with some helpful info: Pregnant Cat Fighting Fleas!!

Do you plan on getting her spayed after this litter?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your cat got pregnant. :(

Do you have your own room with a door that you'll be able to keep her in when she has the kittens? She'll need to be kept away from the other cats, so that she'll feel the kittens are safe.

TCS has several articles on cat pregnancy which should cover most of your concerns. I'll post the links below. Good luck with her.

And one thing to keep in the back of your mind, female cats can become pregnant again, while still nursing, and without ever showing a visible heat. So do keep the intact males away from her until after you are able to get her spayed. Of course if your roommates got their male cats neutered, that would probably be good too.

Nutrition For The Mother Cat

Cat Pregnancy
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks
Post-birth Complications In Cats

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you want to have kittens? It seems like this might be an overwhelming situation to bring them into, and I would especially worry about the fleas.

You can have mom spayed now if you would prefer to end the pregnancy.

If you decide to continue, I would keep her completely separate from the other cats and set her up with everything she needs in your room.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a bad situation overall. Fleas, intact males and females together. She is going to keep getting pregnant, the other female is probably pregnant if she is intact.... why does your roommate have unneutered males anyway? Their urine smell is so gross.

These cats are probably stressed out from being intact and from the fleas. You need to get this under control and be a responsible pet owner. How old is your pregnant cat? Is she up to date on her shots and tested and healthy? Are you sure she is pregnant and not full of parasites from the fleas, etc.? What is your plan for this situation?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy is used to being the only cat in the house so if one of the other cats uses her litter box, she will wait until it is cleaned out before she uses it again.
She is exactly like one of my female cats, Bourbon. She also does not want to use the litterbox once she deems it "dirty".

As what rubysmama rubysmama mentioned, if you can keep your cat in your own room it would be better. Is it big enough for her in case you contain her inside, including her food and litterbox while you are out, then take her out of the house for a walk everyday when you have time? She also needs to be really separated once she gives birth, in her own private space. This is going to be quite complicated since you mentioned there are several cats in the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GypsysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you feed her in a separate room from the other cats? This article has some more tips: Feeding Cats In A Multi-cat Household: A Quick Guide

As far as flea treatments go, Advantage and Frontline are popular choices. I would recommend calling your vet to ask what would be safe for a pregnant cat. Here’s an another thread with some helpful info: Pregnant Cat Fighting Fleas!!

Do you plan on getting her spayed after this litter?
Yes, she will be spayed as soon as possible! I do feed her in a separate room but I leave dry food out for her at all times.

GypsysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your cat got pregnant. :(

Do you have your own room with a door that you'll be able to keep her in when she has the kittens? She'll need to be kept away from the other cats, so that she'll feel the kittens are safe.

TCS has several articles on cat pregnancy which should cover most of your concerns. I'll post the links below. Good luck with her.

And one thing to keep in the back of your mind, female cats can become pregnant again, while still nursing, and without ever showing a visible heat. So do keep the intact males away from her until after you are able to get her spayed. Of course if your roommates got their male cats neutered, that would probably be good too.

Nutrition For The Mother Cat

Cat Pregnancy
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks
Post-birth Complications In Cats

Yes, I have a door but I feel terrible keeping her locked up! I have her birthing box ready and in place already so she can decide if shes comfortable. I hate that she even has have worry about the other animals or any extra stress, shes pregnant! Maybe I can figure out a way to block off half the house. I think that will be my goal for today. THANK YOU for sharing those links! I truly appreciate any helpful information!

Last edited by a moderator:

GypsysMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to talk to my roommate and pretty much demand a door be put up like today..I don't mind the kittens at all mostly because I already have three people awaiting their arrival who are anxious give them great homes when they're ready to leave mama. They all adore Gypsy and I am confident they will take extra care of the kittens. It almost seems like a silver lining in such a stressful situation.. I have noticed she isn't scratching as much the last couple days and she still let's me comb her. I can't afford to treat ALL the cats tho, so am I fighting a losing battle on this one?
Do you want to have kittens? It seems like this might be an overwhelming situation to bring them into, and I would especially worry about the fleas.

You can have mom spayed now if you would prefer to end the pregnancy.

If you decide to continue, I would keep her completely separate from the other cats and set her up with everything she needs in your room.[/QUOTE

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have a door but I feel terrible keeping her locked up!
I understand feeling bad but you have to be strong and just do it. For her health, your sanity, etc. She is intact and at risk. Please just keep her separate. It isn't forever.