need advice ASAP about foster cat's aggression

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been fostering TAZ for over 2 weeks now and he is a very good cat. I introduced him SLOWLY to my gang day by day and he was very good about it in the beginning. He'd approach a cat, stop when they'd hiss at him and sometimes would roll over on his back and act like he wants to be friends with them. As time passed, my cats got somewhat used to him. I don't leave him with my cats without me being around.
After he got more confident about himself in our home, he started chasing my cats (wanting to play) and Spike seems okay with it but the other 3 aren't okay with it. They'd hiss and swat at him and he'd usually back off. Now for the last 2 - 3 days, he won't back off when they hiss and swat at him. He'd continue to swat and rush toward them.
Pepper, my youngest, is being terrorized by him now. Whenever I let Taz out of the bedroom, he'd go straight for Pepper so poor Pepper would take off running to find a place to hide and of course that encourages Taz to chase/pick on her. Pepper now acts very jumpy at all times and that's not good at all.

I have tried numerous things to stop this- I've clapped my hands, taken Taz into the bathroom or bedroom for a timeout of 5 min, picked him up and said "NO NO", tried to distract him with other toys, squirted water NEAR him (not at him), I have a feliway plug in the hallway and I've made loud noises to stop him and NOTHING IS WORKING.

I am getting soooo frustrated. I feel so bad for Pepper and Zebra. Just recently, he went after Zebra and when Zebra swatted and hissed at him, he started to attack her so I yelled and grabbed him, scooted Zebra out of the bedroom and now am in my bedroom with Taz with the door closed. Poor Zebra and Pepper have been hiding a lot more now due to this. I don't know what else to do and I WON'T take him to the SPCA because they have no room and I know he might be put to sleep but I am becoming a nervous wreck and can't relax with my cats if he's around. At the same time, I feel TERRIBLE if I keep him in my bedroom. He has plenty of food, water and toys in the bedroom... It's hard ot keep him separated from my cat because whenever I open the bedroom door, he's at the door trying to get out. (I live in a tiny apt- 1 bedroom, 1 living room, kitchen/dining room with a bathroom) As of now, I have to sleep on the couch because I keep Taz in the bedroom at nights...

The next cat adoption show will be on Sat so I'll be taking him to see if anyone wants to adopt him but even if someone sees and wants him on Sat, we still have to wait because SPCA screens all potential adopters (which is good because I want him to go to a GOOD home) so that means I might have him for a couple weeks more..

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Pamela.

Have you tried Bach's flower remedies? You can get them at health stores or Co-ops. Also, can the vet at the SPCA check him out to make sure that there is nothing wrong with his health?

Here is a list of the different remedies. I sometimes use the Rescue Remedy for when Peedoodle has his aggressive moments. It works on him.

Agrimony - mental torture behind a cheerful face

Aspen - fear of unknown things

Beech - intolerance

Centaury - the inability to say 'no'

Cerato - lack of trust in one's own decisions

Cherry Plum - fear of the mind giving way

Chestnut Bud - failure to learn from mistakes

Chicory - selfish, possessive love

Clematis - dreaming of the future without working in the present

Crab Apple - the cleansing remedy, also for self-hatred

Elm - overwhelmed by responsibility

Gentian - discouragement after a setback

Gorse - hopelessness and despair

Heather - self-centredness and self-concern

Holly - hatred, envy and jealousy

Honeysuckle - living in the past

Hornbeam - procrastination, tiredness at the thought of doing something

Impatiens - impatience

Larch - lack of confidence

Mimulus - fear of known things

Mustard - deep gloom for no reason

Oak - the plodder who keeps going past the point of exhaustion

Olive - exhaustion following mental or physical effort

Pine - guilt

Red Chestnut - over-concern for the welfare of loved ones

Rock Rose - terror and fright

Rock Water - self-denial, rigidity and self-repression

Scleranthus - inability to choose between alternatives

Star of Bethlehem - shock

Sweet Chestnut - Extreme mental anguish, when everything has been tried and there is no light left

Vervain - over-enthusiasm

Vine - dominance and inflexibility

Walnut - protection from change and unwanted influences

Water Violet - pride and aloofness

White Chestnut - unwanted thoughts and mental arguments

Wild Oat - uncertainty over one's direction in life

Wild Rose - drifting, resignation, apathy

Willow - self-pity and resentment
There is also a combination remedy called Rescue Remedy.

I wish I could be of more help, but I am sure someone else can.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, you are lucky you are fostering. I have no choice with QT (she was my sis cat) who is acting exactly like Taz towards Joji and Skinny. She has been with me less than a year and the other two don't like her because of her aggressive behavior. I have tried everything too and the only thing that has helped is jail term for QT. I have a cattery where I put her. It is screened so she can see what is going on outside. On the way to jail, I sternly tell her no and she has been a bad girl. I keep her for 30 minutes or less depending on the crime
Lately, jail trips are getting rare. I think QT is getting the idea. I pray there will come a time when there will be peace between my cats.
Hoped I helped. Good luck with Taz!