Need advice about Very Old Cat

suesue'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Siamese who is 20 - I've had her for 17 years. Always very healthy until recently after a major house move, she started peeing and pooping everywhere. Vet said she was marking, nearly blind, somewhat senile, had an ulcer in her mouth, but otherwise fairly healthy, no UTI. She took an antibiotic and a behavior altering drug for 30 days. I added a 2nd cat box where she hangs out the most (in the kitchen unfortunately). She now pees and poops in the cat box when awake, and seems happier. Our lingering problem is that she pees all over herself and whatever she is sleeping on when she sleeps, including on my young children, our new furniture, our new rugs. My husband is not happy and wants me to cage her or do something about it. His reaction, though not helpful, is somewhat warranted since we have 2 small children and the peeing problem is unsanitary.

When I go to bed, I check to see where she is, usually on a bath rug or whatever makeshift bed she has chosen. During the night she moves, she prefers sleeping on us or on our new furniture, I don't want to lock her in the bathroom or downstairs away from people, but where do I put her so she doesn't ruin everything? I put up gates but the kids take them down, or my husband refuses to live with gates everywhere. Obviously the house smells terrible (our first new house) and I am overwhelmed with the kids, much less cleaning constantly after the cat. Any suggestions? Isn't it unusual for a cat to sleep where she has peed? I bought her several cat beds, and they are just constantly soaked in pee. What can I do? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SueSue'sMom

I have a Siamese who is 20 - I've had her for 17 years. Always very healthy until recently after a major house move, she started peeing and pooping everywhere. Vet said she was marking, nearly blind, somewhat senile, had an ulcer in her mouth, but otherwise fairly healthy, no UTI. She took an antibiotic and a behavior altering drug for 30 days. I added a 2nd cat box where she hangs out the most (in the kitchen unfortunately). She now pees and poops in the cat box when awake, and seems happier. Our lingering problem is that she pees all over herself and whatever she is sleeping on when she sleeps, including on my young children, our new furniture, our new rugs. My husband is not happy and wants me to cage her or do something about it. His reaction, though not helpful, is somewhat warranted since we have 2 small children and the peeing problem is unsanitary.

When I go to bed, I check to see where she is, usually on a bath rug or whatever makeshift bed she has chosen. During the night she moves, she prefers sleeping on us or on our new furniture, I don't want to lock her in the bathroom or downstairs away from people, but where do I put her so she doesn't ruin everything? I put up gates but the kids take them down, or my husband refuses to live with gates everywhere. Obviously the house smells terrible (our first new house) and I am overwhelmed with the kids, much less cleaning constantly after the cat. Any suggestions? Isn't it unusual for a cat to sleep where she has peed? I bought her several cat beds, and they are just constantly soaked in pee. What can I do? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
I hope the real experts get here.. but I would getting a second vet opnion ...

thinks to self do they make kitty diaper??

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you mean that she basically cannot control her peeing while she sleeps? That is what I got from your post. She is such an old cat I would definately take her back for a second vet opinion. It may not be a UTI, it sounds like maybe something worse. Please take her back to the vet or find a new vet. Also, I would put more litterboxes in your house. If she is the only cat you have, it's not like they will get overly smelly if you scoop them out every day. Maybe she just cannot make it to the litterbox. You can't lock her in a cage or bathroom because of this, regularly I mean, you might have to temporarily, that is not a solution to the problem. In fact, maybe try putting her in the bathroom one night with a litterbox and a clean bed. If she still pees the bed, then you know she is unaware and cannot help it. If she pees in the box, then you know the boxes might be too far away from where she is sleeping. You might have to try this for a couple of nights, or whenever the problem seems the worst.

My point is that you cannot punish her for this behavior, it really sounds like she cannot help it. Please take her to a vet. Don't yell at her or get upset if you can help it, she can sense your tenseness and stress and will get even more stressed out then she already is with the new house and everything.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jen, you need to get her to another vet for a second opinion. Also, it's a great idea to lock her for a night in a small room (bathroom) with a litter box and see if she pees all over herself again - then you'll know its a medical problem

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Part of the problem when cats get into their senior years, and she is certainly there, is their organs begin to break down (just like ours do) For us, we have medications, dialysis etc..but cats are really limited as to what is available for them. And face it medicine in senior cats only buys time, it does not bring miracles.

I would take this cat to the vet and ask for complete blood work to be run. You want to find out about the liver, the kidneys and check for a low-grade infection.

It may very well be time to put this wonderful girl at peace. But that is a decision only you and your vet should make. You are to be commended for taking such wonderful care of her all these years- she is lucky you are in her corner. Your love speaks volumes. I know, that if it comes to it, you will not let her suffer. And they suffer so well. Half the time, we are not even aware they are sick. They are instinctive in that, they are stoic in pain-

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suesue'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, I am calling to make another vet appointment for tonight. Though the kitty diaper would solve my immediate problem

We never do get angry with her or stressed with her. She's too old, fragile and sweet to be angry with her, and I suspect she will not be with me too much longer given her advanced age, so I am trying to make her happy and comfortable. Just did not know if this is a common problem.

Thanks again.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless her heart ... I really can't add anything more helpful than what has already been offered. My Seal Point girl lived to be 18, and 6 of those years were as a diabetic. At 20 years old, my guess is that her little kidneys are breaking down and she just can't help herself.

Best of luck, please keep us updated.

GayeF

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would assume she is doing about the best she can right now. If you continue, I would pay attention to where she spends her time and then put multiple litter boxes within a few feet of her favorite hangouts so it is easy for her to locate a bathroom.

I strongly disagree with people who suggest a vet examination. You already know that her #1 ailment is old age, her #2 ailment is senility and her #3 ailment is being nearly blind. What more information could you possibly need to evaluate her situation?

Here is a personal story: Once I had a pet who got very old and very forgetful. She would urinate at random locations. In her prime, she had always been extremely organized and used certain areas, keenly aware of her surroundings and staying very hygienic. Now she would use the bathroom right next to her feed bowls. I saw her urinate and walk away in a five foot circle and then come back to walk right through her own urine. She took another ten steps before looking down as if wondering why her feet were wet. Whimpering, she soiled herself again and gave me the saddest look as she sat down in the mess -- jumping up five seconds later when she realized what she had done. I realized she was no longer the same pet I had loved for so many years. She was tired, confused and all the "fight" (spirit) had gone out of her. I took her to the vet the next morning to end the suffering. I'm still ashamed that I didn't do it sooner -- I have since learned to be more observent and not let things get to that point.

As someone said, that is only a decision the primary caretaker can judge but sometimes you have to stand back and evaluate the cat's overall health and demeanor. Nobody can advise you or have a clearer perspective because no one knows this cat better than you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I happen to agree with getting a second opinion, it may help you make your next decision. In the meantime, try using an absorable product such as Catpaper, or go to a medical supply store and pick up the blue chux hospitals use for humans, place wherever she settles for the night, under a towel or atop her bed, these products are very absorbant, with a water proof backing.

There is something similar to a diaper for cats - usually used on males, it can be used on an incontinent female, imho...you use regular sanitary napkins in them. They are called stud pants - one vendor for these can be found on the cfa.com ezine classifieds - you could ask if they agree these could be used on a female cat.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the size of the cat, you might also be able to use the smallest diaper that they make for dogs. Again, you use some sort of disposable pad with them. Both Petco and PetSmart sell them.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a book last year, "Against All Odds" by Jeannette Johnson, about a cat who was born unable to use his rear legs and was incontinent. When he was a kitten, his caregivers bought newborn-sized diapers for him, cutting a hole in them for his tail. As he got bigger, he got larger diapers and gets a daily cleaning to prevent bladder infections. Now full grown, the diapers continue to work well for this cat.

You're wonderful to be trying to make your girl as comfortable as possible and I admire your patience with a challenging situation. You clearly love your cat and she's lucky to be in your care. I hope this will work out and you'll have more time together.