Need Advice About My Rescue Tom Cat

naomi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just want some advice about a tom cat i rescued in August this year. I didn't go to the animal sanctuary to adopt a cat, i just went to look at the animals and make a donation, while I was at the sanctuary there was a lovely ginger and white cat, meowing so loudly for our attention so i bent down and he put his paw on my knee, he did the same to my daughter and we felt so sorry for him and my daughter pleaded with me to adopt him. I have never had a tom cat only females. I had to put my beautiful tortoise shell cat to sleep in January and it broke my heart, I have another tabby who is getting on in years and I think i have made a big mistake adopting my tom cat. You see he doesn't seem to like other cats very much because when i let him into the living room where my senior cat sleeps, he sprayed all up the wall and over my tv. I don't like to shout at him, i removed him from the living room and now only keep him in two rooms of the house because he tried to attack my senior cat and because of the spraying. I do let him outside but not all night as i would worry about him getting injured or fighting with other cats. My tom cat cries a lot when he kept in the two rooms on his own but i just cant let him into the rest of the house for fear of him pouncing on my senior cat. I spend as much time as i can with him and he does like to sit on my knee. I really do adore him but I feel that i don't think it is fair for him to spend so much of his time outdoors and in two rooms. I have told my daughter that i think it would be better for Timmy to be rehomed into a loving home with no other cats. I don't think she is very happy with me for wanting to rehome Timmy but i feel it would be the best thing for him. I really hate myself, i feel i should have waited because i don't think i was thinking straight when i adopted Timmy, my mum passed away three weeks before I adopted him, I think i was maybe trying to fill the void in my life when i adopted him, I really dont know aht to do. Can anyone offer me any advice?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, is he neutered? If he came from a rescue, he probably is, but some don't. If not, take care of that first!

Now, you will want to clean the sprayed areas thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner so that no trace of the smell remains. You may not smell it, but your cats may be able to!

NEXT, you need to begin a slow introduction of all of the cats. I'm including a couple of articles on how to do this properly. The key to this is TIME and PATIENCE! It could takes weeks or even months to accomplish, but...Look, he CHOSE YOU! That is a high honor. And he may have sensed your grief, and reacted to that. Rehoming would be a poor repayment for the offered love and trust. Give these techniques a real chance before making that decision, please!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Keep me posted on this, please!

Debp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, make sure he is neutered.
Actually being allowed in two rooms isn't bad...can he look out of the windows? Lots of us live in apartments that are two rooms. My cat is happy with two rooms plus hall and bathroom. Sometimes I stroll with her late at night in our apartment building's hall.

Miss Kitty is the first cat I've had that doesn't seem to want a cat pal. When I brought her in from my street, she had a hard time with Holly because Holly, my senior cat, didn't like her coming in...so then Miss Kitty didn't like Holly. For one year, Miss Kitty wouldn't let Holly into the living room! After that, Holly just strolled into the living room one day and they were ok! Holly passed away some years ago...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Debp Debp is right. Two rooms, if they are set up for a cat's enrichment with toys, trees, etc. is perfectly fine for a cat, but I know you want to integrate him into the family. In the meantime, don't worry about that, at any rate! My goodness, in New York City, many cats live comfortably in 400 square foot apartments!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naomi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This Is Timmy
First, is he neutered? If he came from a rescue, he probably is, but some don't. If not, take care of that first!

Now, you will want to clean the sprayed areas thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner so that no trace of the smell remains. You may not smell it, but your cats may be able to!

NEXT, you need to begin a slow introduction of all of the cats. I'm including a couple of articles on how to do this properly. The key to this is TIME and PATIENCE! It could takes weeks or even months to accomplish, but...Look, he CHOSE YOU! That is a high honor. And he may have sensed your grief, and reacted to that. Rehoming would be a poor repayment for the offered love and trust. Give these techniques a real chance before making that decision, please!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Keep me posted on this, please!
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Timmy is neutered the sanctuary said he was neutered before I took him home. I'm thinking it must be a territorial thing. I will try the enzyme cleaner and see if it helps, and thanks for sending the articles, I am going to do all I can to make it work. I was just worried that Timmy would feel unloved and depressed spending most of time in Kitchen/ small laundry room. Timmy has a cat tree and toys, his cat tree has a hammock to lie on. I just wish I could bring him into the rest of the house. I will keep you posted thanks again.

naomi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, make sure he is neutered.
Actually being allowed in two rooms isn't bad...can he look out of the windows? Lots of us live in apartments that are two rooms. My cat is happy with two rooms plus hall and bathroom. Sometimes I stroll with her late at night in our apartment building's hall.

Miss Kitty is the first cat I've had that doesn't seem to want a cat pal. When I brought her in from my street, she had a hard time with Holly because Holly, my senior cat, didn't like her coming in...so then Miss Kitty didn't like Holly. For one year, Miss Kitty wouldn't let Holly into the living room! After that, Holly just strolled into the living room one day and they were ok! Holly passed away some years ago...
Thank you for getting back to me. Yes Timmy can see out if the windows. I was worried Timmy would be depressed kept in two rooms because he cries slot when he no one is with him. I forgot to mention he sucks his blanket alot also. He is such a sweet affectionate boy. I read somewhere that cats who suck on blankets have been separated from their mothers too soon

naomi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Debp Debp is right. Two rooms, if they are set up for a cat's enrichment with toys, trees, etc. is perfectly fine for a cat, but I know you want to integrate him into the family. In the meantime, don't worry about that, at any rate! My goodness, in New York City, many cats live comfortably in 400 square foot apartments!
Thank you for putting my mind at ease :-)