Need advice about cat with skin issues

Ecoastgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, so I have a Maine coon rescue that is skittish around people but an absolute love at home- I’ve spent a small fortune recently trying to dx his recent symptoms- end of April he had some severe chin acne so vet gave him convenia on 4/28, by 5/3 he was extremely lethargic and not eating, with diarrhea and vomiting- but she told me it wasn’t likely the convenia, which I am pretty convinced it was. After almost 1000 spent on blood and X-rays he seemed to get better on his own after a little over a week. Then he started getting itchy all over - that’s been going on for a few months despite multiple vet appt - I finally went to a derm the other day and they did a cytology and wanted to do convenia again and pred- I asked for an alternative and she said simplicef for a month- but that’s not approved for cats ( I know it’s used sometimes) and it’s in the same family as convenia. Does anyone have any experience with simplicef in cats that reacted to convenia? Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not used simplicef so I can't answer that. Did any vet rule out possible food or environmental allergies?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried searching this site and the internet in general about Covenia vs. Simplicef. I didn't come up with much on this site, but I did stumble across an article or two about these two meds. It would seem that animals that have had a reaction to Covenia might be sensitive to Simplicef as well. They are not actually in the same 'class/family' of meds, but there is this statement I found in an article that I have included a link to below:
"If a pet is already sensitive to allergy or vomiting from other cephalosporin drugs (such as cephalexin or cefadroxil) or penicillins (amoxicillin, ampicillin), cross-reaction with cefpodoxime proxetil is possible."

However, as I understand it Covenia is a 3rd generation of cephalosporin, so that might make a difference? Nonetheless, it is something you probably want to talk to your the vet about.

The sad part is many antibiotics cause the same type of side effect regardless of what 'class' of meds they are in.

Cefpodoxime Proxetil (Simplicef®) for Dogs and Cats (petplace.com)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
E Ecoastgirl , did you get the results from the cytology, or did the derm just want to try another antibiotic "just in case"? I know this doesn't answer your question about the SimpliceF, but it might help to know the answer for others reading and who might have some other thoughts on this issue.