Need advice 2 year old cat not eating

Streamextream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who is 2 and always a great eater just stopped eating. He would take a bite or two and walk way. Went for X-ray showed material in his stomach and gas. But he had eaten several hours prior. Had ultrasound done showed some material in stomach but couldn’t fully view since there was gas shadow. He did not eat for 12 hours prior. Taking him for retake X-ray and fasting him again. He’s on steroids and anti nausea which are doing minimal to increase his appetite. He has no blockage. My question is how long can food stay in his stomach. Trying to figure out if he could have swallowed something. He showed to have mild pancreatitis on ultrasound. But also material in his stomach which could be food but would food stay in stomach so long?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A cat's stomach should empty out within just a couple of hours. Is there anything in your house he could be nibbling on? Some cats will eat paper, plastic, etc. Have you ever noticed him doing that? Or maybe he eats feathers from toys? Typically even those items will pass through their digestive system and come out the other end, but I guess it's possible for them to get "stuck" in the stomach. What does the Vet say about that? Have you tried using an appetite stimulant along with the other meds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Streamextream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat's stomach should empty out within just a couple of hours. Is there anything in your house he could be nibbling on? Some cats will eat paper, plastic, etc. Have you ever noticed him doing that? Or maybe he eats feathers from toys? Typically even those items will pass through their digestive system and come out the other end, but I guess it's possible for them to get "stuck" in the stomach. What does the Vet say about that? Have you tried using an appetite stimulant along with the other meds?
He’s on steroid and the anti nausea. The steroid is supposed to make him hungry. But not much luck with him eating. The vet said to redo X-ray as there wouldn’t be anything in his stomach for over 14 hours. Then if something is there he may need surgery as food shouldn’t be there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Streamextream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s on steroid and the anti nausea. The steroid is supposed to make him hungry. But not much luck with him eating. The vet said to redo X-ray as there wouldn’t be anything in his stomach for over 14 hours. Then if something is there he may need surgery as food shouldn’t be there.
I’ve seen him eat cardboard boxes. Would mild pancreatitis do this? Twice now they did see unidentified material in his stomach but there was a gas shadow blocking so only a partial view.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An appetite stimulant, such as mirtazapine, might work better than steroids for trying to get him to eat. Is he drinking water?

I am quite surprised they can see some issue with the pancreas but can't tell what is going on with his stomach. Cardboard is typically biodegradable, but that is not to say- depending on how much he ate - it wouldn't take a while for it to break down and pass through his system.

Have they done blood work on him? Many times, if there is an issue with the pancreas it will show up in blood work.
Feline Pancreatitis | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Before any sort of surgery, I would be getting a second opinion for a vet in a different practice (to avoid colleague bias). You can ask for a consult with a second vet by providing them with the test results that have already been done.

If the vet would approve, you can try feeding him baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) to see if he will eat that. It is not a complete cat food but can sometimes promote eating normally again. At least for now, if he will eat it, it gives him some level of nutrition.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not aware of mild pancreatitis slowing down the emptying of the stomach, but this is something you might ask a Vet. I do know that it can effect their natural digestive enzymes, but think those are actually released by the pancreas into the intestines rather than into the stomach (when the pancreas is working efficiently).