Need A Homeopathic Remedy Suggestion For A Sore Throat

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 18-year-old has dental issues and I’m unable to afford to get him care right now. He definitely needs an extraction, but also has sneezing and a sore throat. He usually meows loud and often, but he’s not meowing right now. He also swallows hard like there’s pain and swelling in his throat.

I have an antibiotic that I started giving him. He seemed to eat better and drink more today than he did yesterday, but he’s still not well.

In addition to the antibiotic, can someone suggest a remedy? I have a kit of 200C and I have some loose remedies of other strengths.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my opinion. I would stick to proven remedies such as the antibiotics etc. Homeopathy is quack medicine and if it has any effect at all in humans it is the placebo effect. Animals can't react to placebo but there is the placebo by proxy effect where the administer of the remedy is desperate for it to work so they 'see' what they think is improvement but in reality there is none. All so called evidence that homeopathy works is anecdotal and can't be verified by true scientific methods.
I wouldn't waste your time on that but maybe look at herbal alternatives that could be cheaper than a vet visit. There's also some nonsense in this field but at least some contain real molecules that could be effective for a particular condition.
A typical bottle of homeopathic medicine is just water. Seriously, how can this have any effect on a medical condition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to respond, but I’m not looking for opinions on the validity of homeopathy. I’ve been using a homeopathic vet for years and with success. She’s been able to fix things that my local, non-holistic vet, couldn’t fix. I’m not here to convince you otherwise. I’m asking for help from people familiar with homeopathy.

Years ago I asked for help here and received it. At the time I had already narrowed it down to a specific remedy, but I needed other opinions. They confirmed my opinion. I administered that specific remedy and the problem (diarrhea) stopped.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This should not replace a vet visit!

However, making a homemade meat stock (like bone broth but not cooked as long) will help with inflammation and boosting the immune system.

Make it yourself. Do not use store bought soup stock, boullion, or broth. These are too high in sodium and often contain inappropriate or even toxic ingredients like onions and garlic.

You can learn how to make a meat stock here.
Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets

The strained liquid after round 1 is the meat stock. It is not necessary to continue on to round 2 to make bone broth. Bone broth will be higher in glutamates which can be problematic to some individuals (cats, dogs, and humans.) Think MSG headaches.

Make sure you cool your stock in a water bath before covering and storing in the fridge for 8 hours to set. It should set up like a gelatin dessert (because it basically is.) Scrape the fat layer off the top and discard. This fat has been cooking too long and is not good to feed to your cat. Spoon your stock jelly into ice cube trays and freeze into ice cubes. To feed, you can take out a cube into a plastic baggie and thaw under warm water until the stock is a warm liquid. Put this on a plate by itself or mix with only as much food as your cat will finish within 30 minutes. While stock is a cooked product, you don't want to leave it out very long. I found out the hard way, or rather my cat did, that stock left out too long can upset her stomach. For her, I put a couple of teaspoons to a tablespoon of lukewarm stock on a plate by itself and let her lap it up.

It takes time but not a lot of effort. I do it with uncooked turkey wings and thighs in a crock pot. It takes about 20 minutes to prep at night--cut the joints with kitchen shearers or a knife, add the water and a splash of apple cider vineagar and set the crock pot to low for 10 hours. It takes about 30 minutes the next morning to strain the liquid, cool it quickly in a cold water bath (so I'm not putting steaming stock in the fridge), cover it, and let it set in the fridge while I'm at work. In the evening, it takes maybe another 30 minutes to scrape the fat layer and portion to ice cube trays. The result is definitely worth it. Krista loves the stuff and it's really helping healing her IBD gut and giving her arthritis relief as a bonus.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for that. I have frozen legs and thighs I will defrost then put in the crockpot. I have ACV, purified water, and ice trays.

He’s doing much better today after increasing the antibiotic. He’s drinking plenty and eating his regular food (canned Weruva).

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The broth was a hit! I decided to make it like the video, in a stock pot. The chicken was thawed out this morning and I didn’t want to take as long as it would require in a slow cooker. (Now I wish I had just cooked it while it was frozen yesterday.)

Your suggestion to remove the fat was great. I gave some to him while it was still warm so there probably was a little fat in there even though I tried to skim off as much as I could. It’s now in ice trays and he has eaten quite a bit of it today. Thank you again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slippery Elm is also good for sore throats and general inflammation. It tatses weird so it can be hard to get a cat to take some. Maybe the taste wouldn't be too noticeable in a good meat broth though.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I think the meat stock has all the right ingredients as it is. Also slippery elm can form a coating that can impede absorption of nutrients within the stock.

You can always try the slippery elm if the stock doesn’t do it. But I think you’re going to be amazed at what the stock will do for him.

As long as you don’t let him eat old stock: either too long in the fridge (a few days?) or too long out of the fridge (a few hours?).

This why I always deal with ice cubes and thaw to serve or remove to the fridge for a day. I dump whatever I didn’t feed her at the end of the day and grab another two or three cubes for the next day. I take up whatever stock or stock-soaked food she hasn’t finished in 30 minutes. Basically I treat it like a raw food. She hasn’t had any more bad stock reactions and she continues to show daily improvements—like she is lapping from the fountain of youth!