Need a crash course in caring for a post-op feral

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do an e collar, either. I've never had a problem with cats un-doing their sutures after a spay or neuter--the area is sensitive and they leave it alone. An e collar would drive any cat nuts, but especially a feral.

There are two kinds of rabies vaccines--the non-adjuvanted is effective for 1 year, and the adjuvanted is effective for 3 years. There is supposedly a slight cancer risk for cats receiving the 3 year shot. You can google the difference between the two. I think the benefits out weight the tiny risks for ferals to get the 3 year vaccine, because it's difficult if not impossible to trap a feral again.

The feline FVRCP-C vaccination (also called the "distemper" shot) is the vaccination that requires a booster 3-4 weeks later, and then another booster a year later, and then every three years to be effective. This is the vaccination that you're probably confused about.  I can only share with you my personal experience. I got my two indoor ferals the initial FVRCP-C vaccination about a year ago but did not follow up with the booster (the one is still semi-feral and difficult to get to the vet). Last Spring, my two geriatric cats got upper respiratory infections, which is one of the illnesses the vaccination protects against (the Herpes V virus, which causes most respiratory infections). The vaccine doesn't guarantee that the cat won't get the Herpes V virus, but that if the cat gets it, the symptoms will be far less severe. My two ferals share food and water bowls, litter boxes, etc with the two geriatric cats but did not get the virus, which is extremely contagious. They both sneezed for a day, and that was it. So contrary to vets saying that the vaccine is useless without the booster, my experience has been that it is effective against them getting upper respiratory infections. This is a very common virus, and cats (especially ferals) can die from it, so I would advise that you get the cat vaccinated for it and also that you request the 3 year rabies shot. Some vets no longer will give the 3 year shot, so you'd need to ask your vet about it ahead of time and decide what to do. In any event, no one really knows how long these shots are effective for--I've read that that 1 year shot is actually effective for 3 years but needed additional testing done to get licensed. Recently the company that does the 1 year rabies vaccinations (Merial) has gotten its non-adjuvanted shot licensed for a 3 years, but it is very expensive, so if you get the 1 year shot, it will likely be effective for a much longer time than 1 year. I hope I haven't utterly confused you!