Need A Baby Doll Recommendation

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality baby doll?

My brother's youngest daughter, who does not live in the US with him will be visiting with her mom in a few weeks. None of the family have met her yet as his ex moved back to Brazil before she was born.

She's apparently dying for one of those "reborn" dolls, which are very expensive. I don't mind spending the money at all, in fact, it would give me great joy to get her something she has always dreamed of having, but it seems they are mostly a collectors item - not really for play and she's only 8-1/2.

He said there are some on Amazon but the ones I see don't have very good ratings and if I'm spending upwards of $100 for a doll I darn well want it to be decent quality.

Can anyone point me somewhere that might have an appropriate type of doll meant for play that is realistic and will hold up well over time?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Corolle dolls!! Hands down; our favorite. Corolle, the premium doll brand designed in France - Official website

They have a sweet smell and hold up to washing well. My DD is almost 9 and her Corolle doll has been her favorite since she was 2 or so. My niece had several and even took them in the tub all the time so she could give her babies baths.

Here is "Baby Baby." She needs a washing now too. DD looked at me suspiciously when I told her to go get Baby Baby. Lol Her hair is a mess but they have different versions too. This one is supposed to be Asian influenced I believe.
IMG_7045.JPG
IMG_7046.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American Girl Bitty Baby is popular too. They're made for little kids so they don't have real hair, I don't know if that's something she wants or not.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
American Girl Bitty Baby is popular too. They're made for little kids so they don't have real hair, I don't know if that's something she wants or not.
I'm not a fan of those at all. Very generic, no hair on the baby dolls. I never understood why the fuss over those. I know she wants something realistic, that was made clear to me.

I just found Gotz, forgot about them, very cute and nicely made. Pottery Barn has few of them that I like and there's extra clothing available for them too. There's an "older" in PJ's and sleeping mask that is just darling and comes with a little unicorn blanket. I just wish her hair was darker as it's blonde and his daughter isn't - I'd like to find a doll more reflective of her blended ethnicity. Thinking perhaps I may not go with a baby doll - I can't imagine she wouldn't enjoy one that is a "toddler" age too, especially one that is as cute as these are. They also have baby dolls, some without hair but a few with that are adorable also.

I actually love dolls - I used to collect Barbie for years
Gotz Dolls USA Inc

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look like there are some Reborn dolls made for children, and at that age it's probably safest to stick with what she asked for.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does look like there are some Reborn dolls made for children, and at that age it's probably safest to stick with what she asked for.
Yea, I was going to but there's a lot of 1 star ratings on it, people complaining about the quality. I'm really picky so I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, lol, I'm always reading the 1-star reviews and talking myself out of buying things.

I like those Gotz dolls. Now I want a Hannah doll. . .:D
The one on Amazon is the one my brother said I should buy her but I just can't lol. Her and her mom live pretty much bare bones, and my brother gives what he can but isn't exactly swimming in money. I'd love to get her one that is going to last, stand up to time. In the end she may not really care, IDK, but I do. Kind of hoping my brother can talk his ex into coming back to the states. They have no plans to reconcile but it would be better overall for all.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking Madame Alexander, like 8kitties 8kitties , because I remembered my baby doll by her - the kitten doll, well, of course.

I found this one on Amazon

This in the search --
Madame Alexander Sweet Baby Light Skin Tone Brown Eyes/Brown Hair Baby Doll, Multicolor

May give you what you want. My search thanks to 8kitties 8kitties

I can remember the feel and baby smell of the kitten doll.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what Amazon has for the kitten doll --
Madame Alexander 12" Smitten With Kittens Huggums

It looks a little small. The one I had up until I was 12 sat on my hip and almost reached my shoulder. It was a bit floppy, with a clothe body and soft plastic arms, legs, and head. It had hair. This new doll isn't the one I remember, but maybe as close as you can get off the Indiana Jones path.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!!!!! Yes, Yes!!!! That's her. I miss her. I gave her to a small person back in the late 70s. Moment of insanity. Actually, probably for her safety as she was having to live in a box to protect her from kitty paws. Thank you for finding her. I remember her being pretty heavy for her size.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should say, Kits more than made up for her, but she was wonderful.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bitty Baby was my first thought. Maybe Madame Alexander? Baby Dolls — Madame Alexander

Oh totally forgot about this brand, thanks for the reminder. Last time I looked all I saw were the collectibles - but now I see there are ones appropriate for playing with and they are darling!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you google Madame Alexander doll repair you'll find several places to send your doll to to be repaired. I didn't think they did this any more. I had one doll, not the kitten doll, who need repairs fairly often -- her eyelashes fell out. This makes it safe to play with the more expensive dolls. There are places that sell the repair parts and instructions too. Here's one

Doll Hospitals, Doll Doctors, Doll Repair Parts