Necessary to neuter an indoor cat?

catnoobie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a cat that never goes outside, is it necessary? If it means he'll be howling all night sometimes and will be extra hyper and such it may not be worth avoiding, but if it doesn't affect their personality and temperament, does it need to be done?

Thanks.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most males that arent neutered spray really bad. And therefore your house will smell like cat pee. Thats been my biggest thing with boys. I always get them neutered as soon as possible because Ive seen what males can do. I already have a girl that sprays off and on. I dont want any of my fosters to spray. And Bagheera definatly was done before he was very old. He was 14 weeks and that was cutting it close for me!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Females are at risk of mammary, uterine and ovarian cancers, as well as pyometra - all of which can be fatal. Not to mention going into heat repeatedly over the years with no 'relief'. Males will spray, and are at risk of testicular and prostrate cancers. IT also makes both sexes better pets, as they dont have that drive to get out and mate, so they are more relaxed, and dont have to go through frustrations of hormones racing with no release.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Males that aren't neutered can get very aggressive. My uncle/aunt had a male kitten, and they never got it neutered and holy cow you couldn't even get within 2 feet of him without him biting or scratching you, and he bit and scratched like he meant it
(hurt quite a bit, almost always drew blood). Then one day, he jet out of their house like a bullet and never came back. He also sprayed the entire basement and they had to tear everything up and redo it

So for the sake of your home and body, please neuter him.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I agree with the above comments............he will spray in your house
and thats a major everyday job trying to keep the smell down

He could get bad-tempered, they can smell females on heat from miles away and it will drive him mad, so that can be a bit unfair as well

Also you would never forgive yourself if he did manage to get out - he would certainly be spreading his oats and well we all know what that means !! too many unwanted kitties

I´m not sure where you live, but there are lots of pet - charities that can help with costs, I think in the end getting him done will be the best option for all parties !

Good luck

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't add much to the above comments except to say that I agree with them. The only way in which it changes their personality is that it sometimes makes them more affectionate. He will be much easier to live with if he's neutered. I also think it's rather cruel to keep a cat entire then not allow him to get any action, so to speak
He'd be very frustrated.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The short answer to your question is yes, it is necessary unless you are planning to breed the cat (which begs a whole different group of questions). Neutering, as mentioned in previous posts, may prevent health issues, behavioral issues and environmental issues.

If you want a loving, happy, healthy cat, have him neutered as soon as your vet will do it.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats not only spray if not neutered. Their Urine takes on a very, very strong smell.Your house will reek of a strong urine smell. All cats male or female inside or out should be fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnoobie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thanks a lot... I will make an appointment today.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a cat that sprays walls, carpet, clothes, etc. or that is constantly wanting to go outside, or that gets aggressive cause he's frustrated, then don't neuter him.

Unless the male is a top quality pedigree male who is worthy of breeding, male cats should be neutered before they start any bad habits. Neutering will change their personality for the BETTER - they will be more loving, more social to everyone.

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as far as teperment goes all the male cats I have ever had have been very loyal much more so than the girls after their neuters. They just seem to love us even more and so No I would have to say it doesnt effect their temperment except to make them sweeter more loving and loyal. Also you need to neuter to reduce prostate cancer and prolong his life. if money is the issue there most likely are low cost spay/neuter clinics in your area you might look into that. Here in indianapolis I got my girls spayed for $20 each and boys neutered for $15 each.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so glad you are going to get your little man done.

tlea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amen to all of the above,...I have always gotten both males,...& females done ,...the males as soon as possible,...since I have found personally,..if they don't start spraying,...it isn't a habit that I have to break,...lol,..& it can be awful if they aren't spayed/neutered,..Now I am getting a $$ amount of surgery,...its arond,..$85.00 here for either,...I just found out,.,..within the next wk I am bringing my maltese in,...then,..I will take it from there,...who is next in line,...lol,..Thanks so much for these posts,...I am always reminded or learn something new each time,...TLEA

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar's pee is really starting to whiff as he gets older. I can't get him neutered for another month, there's no early neutering round here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnoobie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your input everyone. I will get him neutered in a couple weeks when I have some time off. That will make him just under 7 months old.

lynn916

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 male indoor cats. Both are not neutered. My oldest is 3 years old and we got him when he was 1 week old. A feral cat had a litter of kittens in my neighbors barn, left one day and never came back. I hand fed him until he was old enough to eat himself. He is very healthy and happy. My youngest cat is almost 2 years old. We found him when he was 2 weeks old, in a box in the middle of a shopping center parking lot in 110 heat. We thought he was dead (he almost was). We took him to a vet and they didn't think he would survive. We took him home and I hand fed him with an eye dropper and nursed him back to health. He too is happy and very healthy. They are best buds and get along better than any cats I have ever seen. Neither of them want anything to do with going outside, in fact they are afraid and run away when we open the door.

My cats have NEVER, EVER sprayed anywhere at anytime in our home. They don't howl, they are both very sweet and gentle and mild mannered. They don't even seem to care when the neighbors female cat comes up to the back door and or windows and they sit there and just look at her, yawn, then take a nap, haha.

I have heard horror stories about the smell of un fixed male cat urine, aggressive behavior etc. I can't even imagine it because I have never experienced any of it. Maybe I'm just lucky to have perfect cats? It is possible for there to be no reason to put your cats through an unnecessary operation. My husband and I talk about it all the time and honestly, there's no need for it. The only thing it may do is change their personality, that's what our vet said. We have decided to leave them intact and happy. We love our boys the way they are! =)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's unusual. Hope they never do start spraying, because it's hard to get them to stop. I imagine there are some mellow tomcats, because a lot of show cats aren't neutered, and some live as housepets. If they were troublesome, the breeder would probably neuter them and show in Premier. So it is possible, but rare. You're lucky!

Now, one thing to look for---most cats aren't socially mature until around age 3 or so. Your older boy is probably fully mature, but the younger guy might not be. So things could change. Just keep an eye out.