Necessary Cat Procedures :]

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

:cool2:hi im getting my first female cat soon and im not sure what are the essential procedures/vaccines that my cat needs... shes younger than 1 yr and i would want to know the perfect time for it to be spayed... and what are the other shots and procedures needed that are essential lol thnx any help will be greatly appreciated :creampersian:

:runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround::runaround:

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The priority is for her to be spayed. Where are you getting her from? I'm surprised she hasn't already been fixed at that age. Then, there are vaccine shots and a repeat I think two months later. You need to deworm her regularly and monitor her for fleas. The vet will also test her for FLV, and probably get a stool sample to see if she has any parasites.

For food, we usually recommend at least a combo of dry and wet, if not just wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The priority is for her to be spayed. Where are you getting her from? I'm surprised she hasn't already been fixed at that age. Then, there are vaccine shots and a repeat I think two months later. You need to deworm her regularly and monitor her for fleas. The vet will also test her for FLV, and probably get a stool sample to see if she has any parasites.

For food, we usually recommend at least a combo of dry and wet, if not just wet food.
thank u very much for the help fam! im getting her from a breeder who doesnt vaccine his/her cats bc idk why

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's a breeder who's neither vaccinated nor neutered their cats? I don't know much about breeding but that doesn't sound like a very good breeder.

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's a breeder who's neither vaccinated nor neutered their cats? I don't know much about breeding but that doesn't sound like a very good breeder.
ikr sad reality he/she only told me after i payed for the cat so...

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets could be different, but I know my vet required both of my cats to have both sets of their vaccinations before she would spay/neuter them. I believe she did the vaccinations two weeks apart, and then the spay/neuter two weeks after that. It was years ago so it's hard to remember.

That breeder doesn't sound like a very good breeder. The animals welfare should be the first concern.

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets could be different, but I know my vet required both of my cats to have both sets of their vaccinations before she would spay/neuter them. I believe she did the vaccinations two weeks apart, and then the spay/neuter two weeks after that. It was years ago so it's hard to remember.

That breeder doesn't sound like a very good breeder. The animals welfare should be the first concern.
do u think its kinda too late to spay her at 6-7 months?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, 6 months isn't too late. Some people like to wait until 6 months to do spaying or neutering. Any later than that though, and you risk her getting pregnant. She'll need Rabies and FVRCP Distemper vaccines, which most people recommend doing 2 or 3 weeks apart. I'd ask for the Purevax 3 year vaccines. Also ask the vet about de-wormer and flea treatment.

acrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thanks guys but do the vaccines go first or the spaying just wondering fthanks again

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FVRCP vaccine is the core 3-way one that every kitten should get. It is often recommended that kittens get this up to 3 or 4 times until they are 16 weeks, but I personally feel like that is too much and unnecessary. Two times is probably sufficient. It''s just important that the final shot doens't occur earlier than 16 weeks. The reason for 16 is that this is the point when kittens typically don't have as much of their mom's antibodies anymore and when the final shot will be most effective. There is then a 1-year booster of the vaccine.

The other 2 vaccines are rabies and leukemia. Leukemia is purely optional and I personally wouldn't get it with an indoor cat. Rabies might be mandatory where you live. If not, consult with your vet and make a decision if it's right for you. These shots can be given later down the road around 4-6 months, I believe.

I think 5-6 months is usually when cats get spayed, again, talk to your vet about that one.

I would ask the shelter or whoever you are getting her from for a complete medical history and take that history with you to your first vet appointment which should be within a week of bringing her home.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most vets make you get the Rabies vaccine before they will spay your cat.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My shelter kitties def were fixed before their rabbies shots. Too bad you gave your money to a shady “breeder,” though. But good thing for the cat!